6 – Dream
126 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What is the difference between recalling memories and dreaming? Both happen in the mind, both simulate an event, and both are born of imagination in a way.

It is the level of awareness.

In dreams, you forget reality and immerse yourself in your mind, so it feels real. When you recall memories, you are not immersed in your mind since you are aware of reality and all your senses, that is why it doesn't feel like it's real, just information.

But what happens when the two are merged together? Information and memories being recalled in a dream where one is fully immersed? Is it different than reality? Perhaps this is the nature of life and we are all reliving memories in blissful ignorance...

Light, that was all I saw. It illuminated the world, cool silvery blue and warm golden yellow.

My vision was blurry, but I could see small hands trying to grasp the sources of light, two they were, branching out across the sky.

My hands were small, I was barely aware.

I blinked.

The scenery changed, my hands were bigger, and my eyes clearer. The sources of light were trees, as tall as the sky, pure and beautiful without peer. Their light was beyond any other, indescribable.

The land was beautiful beyond imagination. Everything, from the stones to the waters, was hallowed and stainless and there was no sickness, corruption, or withering. This was a paradise.

I blinked.

I was taller, standing atop a great tower, still looking at the trees, someone called to me from behind, "Elion..."

I turned around, a word came to me, "Mother..." A fair elf filled with kindness.

She sat on a chair beside me and began talking, "Let's continue from where we left off. The origin of our kind."

I nodded, my movements happening before I could think.

"144 Elves made of three groups awakened in Arda; The 1st 14 to awaken were the Vanyar, your ancestry from your father's side comes from them. The next 56 to awaken became the Noldor which I am part of, and the last 74 elves became known as Teleri elves."

I listened and then nodded to convey my understanding. 'So I am a part of the Vanyar because of my father, yet I am half Noldor in blood due to my mother.' I thought.

I blinked.

I was taller, older... I was looking at the light of the two trees with reverence.

"The Valar Manwe has arrived." Someone said beside me, I turned and saw a mighty glowing being. His beingness radiated endless power and nobility. Beside me were many other elves.

I somehow recalled the Valar were akin to gods, the greatest of a race of beings born out of the thoughts of the creator Eru called Ainur, they had created this world alongside Eru Illuvatar with their song.

I bowed in respect. Manwe glanced at us and began saying something, I didn't hear because I blinked.

I was in a great hall, and so were countless other elves. I even saw beings of majesty that could only be Valar or Maia. Everyone was joyous, an elf I somehow recognized as Feanor, son of Finwe, stood atop a platform, three glowing gems floating in his hand, "The Silmarils!" I heard many elves exclaim. Feanor had created these gems.

I looked closer, the gems were pure, beautiful, and powerful. Perfection in physical form. I found myself with a strange desire to hold them for they were the greatest treasure one could possess...

I blinked.

Chaos... The world was engulfed in darkness, the two trees nowhere to be seen, fallen. I looked around, elves mourning everywhere.

"What's happening?" I wondered aloud.

A comforting hand landed on my shoulder, "The high king of Noldor, Finwe, was killed by Melkor. They mourn their king, Elion. Melkor destroyed the two trees with the help of a monster named Ungoliant and stole the Silmarils, then they fled Valinor. We lost too much today... The world is engulfed in darkness... Evil has found its way to the east."

I recalled that Melkor was the greatest of Valar that had turned to darkness as I turned and saw Nilendil, my sister. She was filled with sadness and sighed.

The sky rumbled, looking down from the hill I was on, I saw Feanor raising his sword with his sons, they swore in Eru's name to retake the Silmarils. An oath that could not be undone.

The Noldor elves decided to leave the kingdom of the Valar, Valinor, and chase Melkor, who was now named Morgoth by Feanor, in order to take revenge after Feanor gave a passionate speech.

I blinked.

"Our elder brothers will leave with the host of Feanor, we do not wish to be left behind. We want to see the lands beyond, and have kingdoms of our own! Why should we live under the Valar when we can be kings and queens?!" I said loudly to two elves I recognized as parents. I was filled with ambition and wanted to follow the Noldor and leave Valinor.

"Much suffering awaits those who journey east, are you sure of this decision? You are too young Elion..." Mother said.

Father shook his head, "No. You are barely 2000 years old..."

"Don't worry, I will look after him," Nillendil said with a smile.

I blinked.

Blood and blades were everywhere, it was a war between elves. I held a bow in hand and took aim, the arrow flew and took the life of a Teleri elf.

I aimed again.

With deadly precision, I killed elves, never missing, not even once. Over and over...

We won the war, the ships of Teleri elves were ours to board and leave Valinor. But there were not enough, followers of Feanor went first, promising they would return with the ships to take us.

They didn't return. Feanor betrayed his brother Fingolfin and set the ships on fire, the flames were so great that the smoke was visible in the far east.

We had to either return and face the punishment of Valar for killing the Teleri elves, or match through the same path Morgoth had used to flee Valinor, the Helcaraxe.

The choice was obvious, we moved ahead.

I blinked.

Regret...

"I should have stayed behind," I muttered and felt life leave me. Consumed by cold. My hand reached towards the sky but couldn't reach high as it fell. I could hear the mournful cries of Nilendil.

My childish ambition was my undoing.

I died and woke up.

"HAAA!" I took a deep breath and looked around in alarm, touching parts of my body to make sure I was safe.

"Hey there, you're finally awake." I heard a voice to my upper left, looking in that direction I saw Argon.

He was covered in many parts of his body by wounds yet he was alive, his fate had changed. He sat beside me.

"The battle is over, we won. We have reached Beleriand. A bright future awaits us." I heard him say as he lay down.

I looked around, the sky was no longer dark, and the sun and moon shone on the world for the 1st day signifying the arrival of a new era. The air was not as cold, it was cool and rather enjoyable.

I could hear echoes of many sorts, from the talking of elves to unknown sounds, this land was strange now that I could pay attention to details and didn't have to worry about my life.

I smiled in relief, 'Those were the memories of Elion before I came in... I see now... The hard part is over...'

I lay down and relaxed with a bright smile then closed my eyes enjoying the warm sunlight.

"Hey, don't sleep, you just awakened, at least tell me your name! I saved you..." Argon said and stood up.

8