5 – The Battle of Lammoth (2)
129 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of clashing blades was all that was needed for me to know Argon had begun fighting, I had no choice but to engage since the orcs charged at me.

My heart was consumed by worry as I dodged what could be dodged and parried the rest, barely managing to hang on to life.

There were too many. I had to think of a way to save myself.

'Fire?' I pondered then frowned, my headache had worsened considerably, and I was afraid I didn't have much power left in me.

'Melee?' I could barely live under the onslaught of the enemies, there was no way I could use physical combat to save myself.

'Escape?' Impossible under such circumstances.

I could only try my hardest with fire and hope for the best, the other two options were not possible.

A hand grabbed my arm from behind and pulled me, a few arrows zipped past, one grazing my leg.

"You think too much, enjoy the feast!" Argon said as he laughed and let go of my arm. I noticed a few corpses on the ground in his front, while none were slain by me...

Our backs were turned to each other again, and the orcs circled us, looking for an opening.

"You are mad..." I said, he chuckled as he suddenly put his hand on my shoulder and used it as support to jump to my front.

"Courage and bravery are not madness... I will slay the big one." He said and ran towards the orc commander. The said commander laughed and ordered the orcs to stay away, he wanted to kill Argon himself.

I was left alone with the orc army looking at me from every direction as if they were looking at a piece of meat.

I gulped loudly and quickly summoned as much fire as I could to my free hand, abandoning all caution and restraint.

The intense heat and light of the fireball caused the orcs to hesitate for a few seconds. At that time an idea came to me, my brain worked very fast.

I aimed the fire at the snow-covered ground and blasted it circularly, steam instantly gushed out, covering me. I didn't stop as the orcs retreated sensing something was wrong.

I stopped when the surroundings grew misty enough that one could barely see their hand. I smiled, 'I have the superior senses, I knew exactly where they are and what they are doing by sound alone, the orcs don't.' I thought and quickly ran towards them.

Ignoring the terrible headache, I didn't hesitate to find the nearest orc and stabbed it in back mercilessly. It was a success, he howled in pain and died, alerting the others, and they ran in my direction.

I took the bow of the orc I had killed and the few arrows it had. Putting the sword down, I took the arrow and aimed the bow quickly. 'Since they are so close, hitting them shouldn't be a problem.' I thought.

The movement happened on its own as if these hands were used to doing it.

I let the arrow free and it quickly found its way to the throat of an enemy. I was surprised by how easy it was.

I aimed and shot, again and again, till all 7 arrows were gone. 7 orcs died. I took my sword back up and dropped the bow.

But it was no were near enough, there were dozens upon dozens more...

I frowned and looked around, trying to find a way to escape or deal with the situation.

"Crack..." I heard the sound of cracking ice from beneath my feet. Since most of the snow had turned to steam, only ice remained on the ground close by.

A scene flashed before my eyes, the mourning elves near that hole.

'Helcaraxe is just a huge bridge of ice over the ocean...' I thought and then smiled.

"I am here! Come!" I shouted and ran away.

Every time I stepped on the ground, I heard more cracks, this part had become very unstable.

When I stopped hearing cracks I didn't move and turned around. The mist had mostly dissipated and the army could see me.

From the looks on their faces, they were furious. I would be eaten alive if they got me. Thankfully I had gotten lucky.

I aimed my hand at the ground and a small ball of condensed flames formed in front of my index finger, "Goodbye." I said and fired it.

A small explosion happened in front of the orcs, not harming any of them.

They quickly turned to look at one another and saw no damage done, they laughed mockingly.

I felt uneasy, 'Don't tell me it didn't work!'

The orcs began charging at me with cruel faces, a fate worse than death awaited me.

I sighed and banished all my fear and worry, grabbing my sword with both my hands tightly. My legs trembled, but my mind was clear.

'I have no more ideas, If I summon any fire I will faint due to headache, my body is tired, I am mentally exhausted, I am alone with no one to help me... There are no more miracles.'

I felt despair.

However, I was not one to go down without trying my best, 'If I am destined to die, then I will die fighting. This is the end it seems... At least it is better than the end of my previous life. I will die fighting orcs in a legendary battle, it is a good end. Better than most...'

One man against an army, with no hope of survival. If faced with such a thing, the past me would have been frozen in fear, but I was no longer him. The hardships after my transmigration changed me, or perhaps it was the magical rebirth in the fire?

Whatever it was, I was a new being in a new world, living a new life. I was the elf named Elion.

"No matter how short it's been, this life was at least enlightening."

Despite the many emotions raging within me, I charged ahead with the loudest battle cry I could muster. A cry filled with the desire to live yet the acceptance of the end.

I was ready for death.

...

There was no light in the sky, only black clouds. There was no earth on the ground, only ice, and snow. Above was black, below was white. In between was a lone elf covered in black blood, his face grim yet determined.

The lone elf faced a hundred enemies, his legs trembled slightly in fear, yet his blue eyes held none, they were clear and full of will. His instincts screamed in horror, yet his mind was serene.

He held his sword tight, never facing away from the coming army of orcs, hideous deformed creatures with cruel and sadistic hearts, servants of the dark lord Morgoth.

The orcs charged at him, their foul faces filled with the desire to eat the elf in front of them. That look would make the heart of anyone tremble, but the elf ignored it.

He ran to his certain death, eyes blazing with the desire to live yet aware of the fact that such a possibility did not exist.

Life was cruel, no help was coming, and his fate seemed sealed...

Below the ice, a fish swam with no care about the battle happening above, it roamed the waters beneath.

Suddenly, a shark noticed the fish and began chasing it. The two swam fast, one hunter, one prey...

The fish saw no escape below, so it swam up near the ice, and the shark followed. The fish hit the ice and stopped then changed its direction, the shark turned around as well, however, his tail hit a crack on the ice.

Was it destiny or luck? The crack suddenly expanded...

As Elion and the orcs were about to reach one another, the ground collapsed with no prior warning, it swallowed all the orcs, stopping just in front of Elion's feet. The tip of the sword of the closest orc missed his nose by an inch as the orc and his sword fell.

He stared at everything in disbelief and kneeled, his heart beating so fast that it nearly jumped out of his chest.

He dropped the sword to his side and looked at the sky, pained roars of drowning orcs came from the chasm formed to his front.

"I STILL LIVE!" He shouted to the sky, his voice echoing in the surroundings.

Emotions consumed his heart, his head hurt so much he could barely stay conscious, and his whole body was exhausted and ached, yet he smiled as if he was blessed. A miracle had saved him. He hated death, so this was indeed a blessing.

"I am alive..." He said and fainted due to exhaustion.

8