What Kind of World is this?
1.8k 9 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Sayo and her family returned from her grandparent's house Sayo did not expect things to change much from here. However one day when she was in the main living area with her whole family she looked at something shocking. 

'IS THAT GUY SHOOTING FIRE FROM HIS HANDS!'

Sayo looked at what looked to be some large muscular man dressed in a dark blue hero outfit. He was fighting what she could only call a strange mutant monster. Akio sat down which caused the couch where Akinari was sitting to lift up a bit. He was that big, but when he noticed Sayo looking at the tv he smiled. 

"So Sayo, what do you think of the number 2 hero of Japan?" 

Sayo's face went from her regular deadpan to one of pure horror. Akinari smiled and held her tighter. 

"There, there. Nothing is wrong." 

Akio was confused. 

"Did she get scared by the villain?"

Akinari thought so. 

"Well he is quite ugly and she is just a baby." 

While they talked Sayo's mind was racing. 

'This world has people with superpowers? This is not good.'

As a former assassin she knew how to get strong, but what good would that do against someone who could blast fire like that?' 

Just then she overheard her dad saying something else. 

"Well here is to hoping that Sayo acquires a powerful quirk when she awakens it. She should gain my Refinement quirk and your Vital Energy quirk." 

Akinari smiled. 

"I belive things will work out." 

That was interesting, but Sayo ended up falling asleep. If she would also acquire her own one day that would be better, but she was not sure. From this point on things did not change much as she was still immobile.  A few months passed by like this and she began to pay attention to the world around her more. On the TV, more heroes and villains popped up and she even saw her older brother using his own quirk. 

From the look of it, his quirk allowed him to use his own stamina to strengthen his body. Even without it, he was already stronger than regular trained soldiers. Even her grandfather who was a grandmaster assassin did not have nearly as much strength in his prime. Meaning that quirks were far stronger. 

One thing Sayo reached around 6 months of age she was already walking which was a shock to her parents. When they were not looking or around her she began to do some light exercises she could do with her current body. This was a way to distract her mind or to actually accept this body of hers. She was still a man at heart so this body was causing her issues. She felt like she was trapped in it instead of it being her own. 

That would do her no favors so she began to meditate and try to picture this as not a second life, but a new life. One where she simply remembered her past life for her own mental sanity. This had some positive effects as she was less depressed, but it was not perfect. She was just going to have to get used to it in time as this was her reality now. Nothing would change that sadly. 

Now that 3 months ago so now she was 9 months old and growing just fine. She no longer wobbled when she walked and to be honest she was larger than a normal 9-month-old baby. She wondered if this was her dad's genes in effect which would be a welcomed thing if she was being honest. 

At the moment she was holding on to the collar of Maximus who was not a little runt anymore. It was like he was growing bigger and bigger at an alarming rate as he was growing too quickly. Just by feeling the dog, it was obvious that he had muscles that no normal dog should have. That was just shocking as under his fur this dog was shredded. 

She was jealous to be honest. 

'Come on Max.' 

That was his nickname, but she still hid the fact she could talk. The dog had no complaint about helping her walk as he was loyal to her above all.  Akinari watched as Sayo got help from Maximus to walk through the house. It was quite cute so she took quite a few pictures, but Sayo looked at her and frowned.

Akinari and Akio realized she never used baby talk at all. She mostly showed her thoughts through her face which now looked annoyed.  Akio chuckled and tried to pick her up as she had been walking with Max for quite a while. As his arms reached down she shoved them away and kept walking ignoring him. 

Akio sighed as his daughter inherited the unyielding spirit of his family which was both adorable and stressful. They did not listen even as babies and Sayo was the worst of all. She was unrelenting, Akinari could never get a dress on her and had to make do with small skirts. She hated other kids her age and on play dates, she would often avoid the children. 

He was considering taking her to a child psychologist to make sure she was ok. She was healthy, but she was so unbaby like that it was like he had a teenager as a baby. 

"Sayo, you need rest too. Come on, let me hold you." 

She merely rolled her eyes and walked away with the help of Max. He even licked her face in happiness as they could keep playing. Just looking at the big dog who was easily 125 pounds already at just 7 months of growth was quite shocking. However even a Caucasian Shepeard would need more time to grow that big, but they did not know why.

That was why Akio was going to take him to the vet to make sure his growth was not unhealthy soon.

"Akinari, I am going to take Max to the vet and Sayo to the child psychologist. The way she acts is a little too weird." 

Akinari was now worried. 

"Yeah, last week I took her on a group play date with my friend's kids and the moment I put her down she ran off on her own."

Akio looked at Max who he thought might have a health condition, but the dog seemed just fine. He looked at his two other children Nejire and Akimitsu both already had their quirks Akimitsu got his mother's quirk partially mixed with her father's. As for Nejire, her quirk was called Wave Motion which used vital energy similar to her mother.

Refinement was a stockpile quirk that any damage or stress taken would heal and refine the body. He was considered talented in it as even now he pushed his body to the limit. He focused back on Sayo who was trying to leave the room. Akinari walked behind her and picked her up without Sayo being able to protest. 

Sayo tried to pry her off, but Akinari had a firm hold. 

"Sayo, stop struggling. Later today I think I will take you to visit my friend Mina and her daughter Momo. Would you like that?" 

Akinari as expected felt Sayo struggle harder to escape her mother's hold. 

"N-n0." 

That made her parents pause as that was her first word. Akinari and Akio looked at Sayo with a weird expressions. Most kids had names or certain things as first words and she said the word no. Her dad sighed. 

"Guess her first word won't be momma or daddy."

Akinari held her on her lap with a sad sigh. 

"Schedule the appointment. She might be under the effect of her own quirk." 

'No, I merely could careless for all this. I need to train.' 

Akio pulled out his phone and called one of the best hospitals in Japan for this which was another annoyance for Sayo. Akinrai looked at Sayo's frowning face and decided to speak directly to her. 

"It's not that bad Sayo. You need to meet some other kids who can be your friends in the future."

She pointed at Max. 

"f-friend." 

Sayo was careful with how she said her words to make them sound as forced as possible. It was working though so Akinari merely patted her head. 

"A dog can't be your only friend Sayo. I know Momo will be a good friend to you in time." 

Sayo did not speak more and merely closed her eyes. Akimitsu walked up to her and tried to speak to her.

"Go play. A future here needs friends." 

'Not planning on being one.' 

Sadly for Sayo, her complaints were ignored and she was forced to meet with the other rich children of Akinari's female friends. Including little Momo who by some miracle was not a spoiled brat. She was just a regular baby who seemed interested in reading despite not knowing how. Besides that, she was just paraded around by her mother which was not bad, but annoying.

'At least they don't neglect me.'

That was her genuine thought, but she was still technically an adult so she did not like being treated like a baby. Eventually, she was taken to the best hospital in Japan by her parents to make sure she was alright. They were both sitting in front of the doctor which happened to be a woman who looked to be in her late 20s. 

"So, this is little Sayo?" 

Sayo crossed her arms and looked away. Akinari and Akio sighed seeing her like this. Her dad patted her hair as he explained to the doctor. 

"This, she has been like this since she managed to walk. She never cried, never spoke in baby speak, and most certainly did not play with any toys. We got a dog a few months ago and that has been her only friend as she ignores them all." 

Akinrai agreed/ 

"We are worried about her." 

The doctor shook her head. 

"Do not worry. Her medical history has shows she is at the peak of health so I have a better idea. Sayo, can you understand me?" 

Sayo thought about it and decided to go ahead with it. She nodded. When her parents saw that they were left shocked as they just knew her to be a little smart, not fully sentient. Before they could interrupt the doctor stopped them. 

"Nice to meet you, I am Chieko." 

"Sayo." 

Hearing her speak in perfect Japanese had already left her poor parents frozen. The doctor has seen this in the past in kids who awakened mind quirks so she wondered about it. 

"Since when have you been this able-minded? I mean you are a baby in all but mind it seems." 

"I was thinking about the day I was born. I learned everything I needed by listening to my parents and the tv. Not that hard to learn." 

Her voice was still immature, but she was speaking fully. Akinari passed out onto Akio's shoulder which let Sayo shift to her father's lap as her mother was limp. He was too slack-jawed to speak while Chieko nodded. 

"I think I figured out why you do all the stuff you do. As you can think the stuff around you seems pointless. Why did you decide to speak up now?" 

Sayo thought of how to answer for a second. 

"I thought mo and dad would take it weird." 

"You think." 

Akio finally spoke to her making her look up. 

"I still love you, dad. I just don't need to be treated like a baby. I can fully walk. 

Chieko was curious of something. 

"Would you mind a CT scan of your brain? I am curious about how developed it is."

Sayo jumped out of her dad's lap and nodded. 

"Sure." 

Akio helped Akinari who was just too shocked that his precious baby girl had not been a baby the whole time. Turns out that the CT scan was done not by a giant machine, but by a helmet that scanned the brain. After a minute Chieko got all the scans she needed and looked at them with her computer. 

Akio laid Akinari down gently and looked at the pictures of his daughter's brain. Chieko explained this to him and Sayo. 

"Just as I expected, It seems your quirk affected your brain early, the moment of your birth it seems. This is the brain of a 14-year-old not a toddler." 

Akio picked up Sayo and asked the important question. 

"What happens from here?" 

Chieko shook her head. 

"She is still your daughter, just treat her like your older children and not a baby. Sayo, remember that while your brain might think so you are still a baby. Your not the first example this happened as quirks cause miracles and tragedies after all." 

Akinari stirred awake and was given the same explanation by the doctor. Once she asked over a million questions it was determined that there was nothing to be done. Sayo had found a way to not act like a baby and make her own life easier. On the drive home, Sayo was given her dad's smartphone with her mother overlooking the whole thing. 

Sayo looked up everything from the history of quirks, to the current technological level. Even the current date was 2436 which meant it was 400 years in the future from when she died. Akinari was curious about all this. 

"Why are you looking that up?" 

"Just trying to learn more?" 

Akio who was driving a custom sports car made for him sighed. 

"So, this is going to be hard to get used to. Sayo, it may be early to say this, but what do you think of Heroes?" 

Sayo raised an eye brow and looked up. 

"Heroes are cool I guess. I don't know." 

Her mother was curious about something important. 

"Do you want to be one?" 

Sayo paused and honestly shook her head. Seeing that made Akinari and Akio wonder why, but they did not ask. The way home was quiet only as Sayo kept searching up articles and history videos to see what was different. This is how her life went from here on for the next 2 years. She was given far more leeway to do as she pleased which involved a lot of exercises. 

She wanted to prepare for when her real quirk awakened as even if she did not particularly want to be a hero power was important. This world specifically as she learned of the kind of threats she could face. She finally got used to being a girl and accepted it as her new identity. Not much point to think otherwise, but she had to prepare for the future of puberty. 

'That is a really scary thought'

Following Sayo's trip to the hospital, it was Maximus' turn to go to the vet. After a visit, they discovered the shocking truth about the runt of the littler. He was born with a quirk that pretty much made him into the Hulk. His quirk converted rage and hate into strength making him larger and more powerful. As Sayo was his owner she named the quirk Rage Conversion.

It was an awesome quirk that made Max look like a black demon dog when his rage overtook him. In that state, only Sayo could control him which a villain learned firsthand. That was a good thing and at the moment it was Christmas. The rest of the family flew over to Japan for the holiday. . All of the family was looking at her as she was riding the dog like a horse with a pondering look on her face. 

She was nearly 3 years old, but she could pass for a 5-year-old with how much she had grown. The whole family already knew about her condition, but they did not mind it too much. Tony smiled at her on Maximus' back. 

"So you glad I gifted him to you?" 

"Yes, I love him. Thank you, uncle Tony." 

"Aww, such a sweet kid. I am jealous my kids turned out like you. Would make life so much easier." 

Akinari sighed secretly. She did not want to act like she was disappointed in Sayo, far from it. She just wished her baby would have stayed a baby. 

"Only that she is lonely. We can't introduce her to kids her age as they held nothing in common. We can't do that either with teenagers as there is nothing to share. At this moment I think her only friend is the dog." 

Sayo shrugged. 

"Does not bother me one bit. Maximus is good enough for me."

Her father went and picked her up off Maximus which made Sayo look at him, 

"Dad?"

She hugged his neck for support which made him smile. 

"Are you sure you are ok with just a dog friend?" 

Sayo had an idea. 

"Well, I would not mind having a bear, or a tiger. Maybe both.".

 Before he could answer her grandfather spoke up. He looked over with a glass of whiskey in his glass and gave her an expectant look.

"She will be just fine boy. We are loners by choice and Nejire was just an outlier, but she inherited the Mackenzee heart. Even as little runts you and your brothers preferred to play with the pets. If she wants a tiger and a bear, I will get you one. I will call my connections and get you ones with quirks." 

Akinari did not find this safe. 

"Wait. Are you serious?" 

He nodded. 

"We used to have several exotic pets and as a kid, we had a tiger named Hercules."

Her grandmother nodded. For a woman in her late 60s, she still looked like she was in her early 30s. Same with John they did not look their age at all.

"You boys loved that Tiger. He died of old age at 42 a year before Sayo was born. He bred several times in his life and I think one of his descendants would be good enough. His great-granddaughter is currently pregnant so she can take a pick of the cubs. As for that bear gives us a minute. We will get you the best we can get." 

Sayo nodded like crazy as she wanted one. Akinari knew Akio's family had a hobby of having exotic animals. Sayo answered the former question her dad asked. Now, John had a question. 

"So, wan to be a hero?"

"Nah, not my calling. I will just be happy to collect a small collection of animals with quirks."

Her parents already expected this kind of reaction, but not her siblings. Her big sister Nejire who had already awakened her quirk and always talked about being a hero was shocked. She floated toward her and looked at her funny in her father's arms. 

"Why? Sis. Don't you want to help people?"

"I am not obligated to do so and I rather not. People can train their own quirks if they all have quirks and defend themselves. I mean most of the population has quirks. They should use them."

That left Nejire totally floored as helping people should be good enough. Hearing her response, John, Tony, and Uyehara looked at her with curious eyes as they liked her response.  They would wait for when she got a bit bigger just in case."

Nejire shook her head. 

"What about those who can't defend themselves? Being a hero and helpings others is the right thing to do?" 

"You can save enough people for the both of us. I might change my mind if I find a reason, but I will not make it my life goal." 

Akimitsu who was 9 and a little more mature had a better response.

"Ok, I will save people for you. You should do the same Neji." 

"Ok.

Just then her father had a suggestion for her. 

"Why not get the hero license so you can use your quirk at least? Some get the license and then don't become heroes, this way you can have the power of your pets not go to waste." 

Sayo liked that idea.

"Fine, sounds good. Max, you up for it?"

The giant dog barked tail wagging, teeth bared, claws out. He looked quite threatening with his huge bulk as he was 350 pounds just normally. They all watched as his muscles seemed to grow which made Akinari feel a little nervous.

Unlike her, John smiled at the protective dog.

"Maximus, look out for Sayo here. I will be getting you that Tiger and bear very soon. You are a lucky girl Sayo."

Sayo giggled as it really did make her happy. Animals were one of the few things that made her happy when she was Akira besides sex. But she could not really have sex in this one as it is weird.

"Okay. I guess getting the license will be quite useful for me. Maximus, we better get ready for this." 

The dog was ready for anything that may come her way. . For now, their Christmas celebration went normally and in the end, her family flew back to New York. When they flew back Sayo spent time training and keeping up with her martial arts. She even got her dad to coach her on things so she was doing quite well. 

At the moment Sayo was reading a book on martial arts as she wanted to know if they had made any martial arts for quirks. It said that some families like Sayo's did have some martial arts that made quicks even stronger. She thought back to the martial arts from Cultivation novels and the like. She would not mind making her own in the future. 

As she was sitting in bed in her room with Maximus who had his big head on her lap. One of the things she was looking forward to was At the pets her grandpa was going to give her. She hoped the tiger was one of those rare black tigers. However, she would have to wait as her grandpa was searching for the right ones.

"Later." 

She set her book down and closed her eyes to sleep. One thing she liked these days was taking an afternoon nap after her training as she recovered better this way. Plus, it was relaxing and Maximus was warm and comfy. 

 

60