Orientation (2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Okay juniors, let's give our appreciation to the principal and the teachers!” Said the announcer girl from the student council.

“Thaaaaaank youuuu siiiiirs, thaaaaank yoooouu ma’aaaaams.” The sound of loud, high-pitched boredom filled the entire student hall as the principal & co. waved to the crowd of freshmen before they left.

“Now then everyone, did any of you understand what was being said?” The announcer girl asked cheerfully.

“I bet they don’t, 'cause I don’t either.” The announcer boy remarked.

“Shush, you’re a bad example.” The announcer girl glared at her partner. Some laughter can be heard from the crowd of freshmen.

“Alright, since we’re nearing the end of today’s schedule, we got something for you freshmen.” Said the announcer boy before he gave his mic to Bob, the student council member with a big body.

“Anyone who doesn’t wear any attributes, please step forward.” 

Uh-oh. As soon as I heard that, I got sudden palpitations, and. I could feel my surroundings glancing at me. I hunched a bit hoping that the student councils wouldn’t notice me, but then I saw one of them looking at me.

“Step. Forward.” Bob repeated with more seriousness shown on his square face and voice.

I guess I can’t evade this one

I stood from my chair slowly, then walked to the platform in the front. Two other boys were stepping forward, as well as the girl I saw during the flag ceremony. We were lined up facing the freshmen, just like inmates or suspects in the news, minus the blurred face.

At this distance, I was finally able to make a clear view of the girl’s face up close. Upon closer look at her features, I think she would pass as one of the popular girls. I mean, I could see some freshmen boys staring as she walked toward the platform. Her slightly brown skin, combined with her black hair styled as a low bun, radiated a certain charm from her.

“Tsk, tsk. Look at these dumb kids.” Bob said while shaking his head dramatically.

“You. What’s your name?” Bob asked the girl who was standing beside me, in a commanding tone. His voice was so loud that he didn’t need a mic despite holding one himself.

“Permata Indah.”

Props to her parents for giving her a name so accurately.

“Tell me, Indah. Why don’t you wear any attributes?” 

“Oh. Um... I had no intention to?” 

I couldn’t tell if she was brave or just disobedient. Every student council member, and perhaps some freshmen who’d heard her response, including me, were left agape and looked at her indifferent face with eyes so wide it might pop out from the sacks. 

“What did you just say?”

“I said I--”

“No, shut up.” The fact that she was about to repeat herself made Bob even angrier. Just standing between them gave me a chill.

Make it quick, please. I feel like running away right now.

“You’re being cocky, newbie. We’re the seniors. And, you, the junior, just do what we told you to.”

“Yeah? well, I beg to differ.” There was a fierce expression on her face when she talked back against Bob.

“I don’t care. Here, take the mic. Repeat after me.” 

Bob moved behind, right between me and her. He shoved me a bit, indicating that he was about to whisper to her.

“Friends, my name is…”

“Friends, my name is Permata Indah.”

“And I am sorry for not wearing attributes.”

She looked at Bob for a few seconds before repeating what she had heard... or not.

“And I don’t feel sorry--”

“And I Feel sorry.” Bob interrupted her with a loud voice.

Silence has taken over the entire room. She just stood there, expressionless, looking at Bob. and He just pointed his chin at her, indicating to her to go on with his script.

“I know you wanted to wear those silly attributes, but why don’t you just say so yourself?” Despite the rudeness she did to Bob, she said all that off the mic with a soft voice.

Bob was bewildered by her response that he can’t say anything. I was afraid that this would turn into a fight, and since I was the closest to the scene, I had no choice but to interrupt.

“Um, excuse--”

“Friends, I am sorry for not wearing attributes and for being rude.”

right when I was trying to tell her to back down, she blurted the phrase she was told to, so fast it was almost like Eminem. She then gave the mic to me and returned to her seat.

The student council members could only stare at her. No one dared to bring her back.

Seriously, who is she and why’s she so scary? Even the mic I was given was already drenched in sweat from my palm.

“Okay, you. What’s your name?” Bob turned to me. His anger from before could be seen on his face. Scary.

“Uril... Peterpan.” I replied while looking at the floor. I couldn’t muster the courage to look him in the eyes.

“Don’t joke around.” His face became redder than before. 

“B-but that’s my real name…” My voice trembled.

For a second there was a moment of silence after I said that, then it was broken by the announcer girl who was trying to hold her laughter. Hey, don’t laugh at someone else’s name!

“... Alright. Why don’t you wear attributes?” Bob shot a glare. 

“Nobody told me about it. I-- I didn’t receive any message.” I told him, still looking at the floor.

“Nobody told you, huh?” Bob nodded, then gave me a smug face. “Are you sure you didn’t mistake your school?” The student council members behind were giggling.

“Um, actually…” one of the members raised his index finger. “I thought you guys were messing with me, so…” He stopped his slow speech midway. 

These guys are making me want to suggest a name change. I thought to myself.

“....” Bob was silent for a while. “ Go meet with Bagas after today’s closing. Now, repeat after me: Friends, my name...”

“Friends,my name is Uril Peterpan…”

“and I am sorry…”

“and I am sorry…”

“I have Diarrhea.”

“I ha-- whuh?” I turned to Bob. I wanted to laugh like the people behind me, but I couldn’t.

Are you sure you don’t belong in the restroom? I looked at him with concern.

“Ahem.” Bob ceased his giggling. “I am sorry for not wearing attributes.”

“I am sorry for not wearing attributes.” I finished the sentence, gave the mic back, then returned to my seat.

 

****

 

The orientation for today ended a little afternoon. Everyone had gone from the student hall to do their prayer, eat their lunch, or straight up go home. After I went to see Bagas, the one responsible for my lack of knowledge of the orientation, I immediately went to the bus station. 

As I went to the bus station, I noticed no one from my school. It seems that no one is going home in the same direction, or I missed the timing. My mind wandered for a while, and when I finally reached the station, I saw Permata Indah standing there, staring at her smartphone.

“Hello?” I greeted her.

“Hi….?” She gave me a puzzled look for a second before she realized. “Oh! You’re... the band boy, right?”

Her description of me put a faint smile on my face. “... It’s Uril. Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too. I’m Indah.” She said, also with a smile in return. The way she introduced her name sounds like she was bragging about her features, which I can’t deny.

Just in a few seconds, the bus I had to take to go home arrived. I turned to Indah. “See you tomorrow.”

She gave me a surprised look. “Huh? I’m also taking this bus.”

“What a coincidence.” I said as I got on the bus. It wasn’t crowded, but the seats were all taken so we had to stand.

“Yeah, right.” She said, seemingly unmoved.

Silence fell between us for quite some minutes. The bus had passed two stations, and all the while I was recollecting what had happened back during the orientation.

“Why are you staring?” Indah snapped me out of my thoughts. 

Seems like I was staring at her unconsciously. Due to her sudden question, my eyes began to dart away. “Oh, um... You see, you were so bold back then.”

“Oh. Thanks.”

No, that wasn’t a compliment, girl

“You seem to be deliberately calling for trouble.”

“What trouble, may I ask?” She said nonchalantly.

“I don’t know exactly... But aren’t you afraid that the seniors might pick on you?”

“...No?”

I can’t tell if this girl is bold or oblivious. “It was kinda dangerous. How about getting along tomorrow?”

“You telling me to be a clown? no way. I’ll never wear attributes. It was a stupid tradition anyway.” She explained. She might be putting on a straight face, but it was getting redder.

I was at a loss for words because of her answer. I don’t know what to say, but I kind of understood what she was getting at; she was unsatisfied with how things were run. However...  

“I’m getting off now.” She said, “Bye-bye!” She waved at me with a smile before she stepped out of the bus.

The words that I was looking to say to her echoed as the bus door closed. There’s time and place for everything, but not this time!

0