Lunch Time (2)
9 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After recess, we studied English. When the English class ended at noon came lunch period. Our English teacher, Mr. John, already wrapped things up 5 minutes before lunch period came, so the very minute after the bell rang students in my class would go out towards other classes to wait for their friends or the other way around. Some would also go together with available classmates to the prayer room, canteen, or the restroom, much like back then during recess.

I stood up from my seat and went to the prayer room with Azka, the guy seated behind Kevin. We parted ways from there, I returned to the classroom while he went to the canteen. When I returned to my seat I took out my lunchbox from my randsell. The menu was fried rice with maternal love sauce. 

I was about to take a spoonful when Indah out of nowhere commented, “Cute lunchbox.”

I was astonished. I’m not sure in what way she perceives it as cute. “It’s just a regular cheap lunch box though?”

“Well yeah, I find it cute anyway.” She said, “I’m surprised you’re the type to bring a lunch box.” She added while turning her chair towards me and putting her lunch box on my desk.

“It’s financially better.” I said.

In my experience, it was uncommon to bring a lunch box. I’m not sure why, but it seems that students prefer to buy food from the canteen although it is not a healthier option. 

“Right.” She said with a grin on her face.

Indah opened her lunch box. Inside it was rice and cap cai and some sambal. The amount of food was somewhat much more than I imagined, given that she has a slender body.

“Wanna try?” I offered her my fried rice.

“Why, thank you.” She said as she took a spoonful of my fried rice towards her mouth.

“Delicious.” She commented.

“Yep, my mom’s a great cook.”

Indah smiled at my bragging. “Try mine.”

“Don’t mind if I do.” I said and took the cap cai in Indah’s lunchbox.

What is this? This cap cai... it is at least on par with mother’s. “Tastes good.” I commented.

“Of course it is. I made it, after all.” Indah said, raising her head with a smile so bright she even closed her own eyes.

“You made it yourself??” I said, astonished.

“So waifuable.”

I and Indah turned our heads toward the seat beside me. There’s Kevin and an opened wrapper with rice and various veggies and a chili omelet on it. When did this guy appear? I didn’t notice.

“waif... what?” Indah asked.

“It means you make a good wife.” Kevin explained the alien term. 

“Oh, that's so.” Indah said, indifferent.

In a moment Sasa came in from outside the classroom and went straight to her desk beside Indah. “May I join?” She said rhetorically and took out her lunchbox from her randsell.

We continued our lunch while chatting until the bell rang for the next period.

And thus, just like that, a tablemate circle was born.

Or should it be called tablemate square?

 

****

 

Classes for today ended at 3 P.M, and it shall be the regular schedule throughout my school life. I packed my belongings in tune with my other classmates, then got up from my seat. 

“Cleaning duty starts today, guys! Don’t forget!” Indah, who was nominated as our class representative, shouted. Her voice reached throughout the classroom.

“Aaaaaaaye.” Those on duty soullessly replied. 

“Good.” Indah said and left the classroom.

Well, my duty is on Tuesday, so I could go home straight away. But before leaving, I gotta chitchat like a true Indonesian. “Going home?” I asked Kevin.

“Huh? No... I mean, yes...” He replied frantically.

I wonder why this guy’s nervous all the time. Anyway, “I'm going to the busway station. Wanna walk with me?”

“Oh, um, my bro’s gonna pick me up, so...” He said.

“Oh, alright. See you tomorrow, then. Bye”

“Bye.”

 

****

 

Since Indah left earlier than me, obviously she would arrive at the busway station before me. I also expected that she would already take the bus, but ever since the first day of orientation I always met her. 

“Hi, class rep.” I greeted her, as usual.

She glanced at me for a second before returning her gaze to her phone. “Hi, classmate.” She replied.

“Today was quite interesting, wasn't it?” I said.

“Mhm.”

“Y’know, you became the class rep today...” 

“Right.”

And we were just chit-chatting like that. When the bus came, we hopped onto it and continued our conversation. 

“By the way, what you said earlier this morning weighed on me.” I said.

“Which one?”

“Rumor about me.”

Indah tilted her head for a bit, pondering what to say. Then she looked at me for a while, and said, “You know, the longer I look at your face, the more intimidating you become.”

Wow, that’s a surprise. I don’t remember someone ever saying that to me. I asked her, “So you believe it?”

“Can’t confirm or deny it. I didn't even know you before. Someone just happened to tell me about it. Besides, if it's not true, it’ll subside by itself eventually.”

She got a point. But still, “It still might hinder me from making connections.”

“So what? Just prove it wrong then. It’s not like knowing about the rumor might help you in any way.” She said.

... She made another sound argument that left me dazed. “Right. Thanks.”

She formed a faint smile and tapped my shoulder. “Take it easy.”

Then an awkward silence formed for a moment. Since I was uncomfortable with this awkwardness, I continued with my chatter.

“Er, which student club are you going to join?”

“Journalist club, probably. How about you?”

“Handicraft.”

Indah was seemingly confused, so she asked me, “Handi-...? You mean, sewing and stuff?”

“That’s right.”

She kept staring at me for a while with her open mouth slowly closing. 

“Pfft.” Then she made the sound of a fart using her mouth, a result born from holding back laughter.

Realizing that it was futile to hold it, she went into a burst of laughter. “Ahahaha!”

Some people on the bus stared at her due to her sudden laugh. Since I was also in their line of sight, it made me feel embarrassed, like I was the one making a scene. “Hey, stop. What’s so funny?”

“Aha... no... it’s that... ahaha!” She was about to say something, but her laughter didn’t allow her to.

“It doesn’t suit your face at all!” She said with a broad smile spanning between her red cheeks. 

I was annoyed at her remark. However, I was plagued by her smile that took shape on my face, burying the annoyed expression behind it. 

“Aight, nice guy. I believe you.” She said while wiping her teardrop on her eyes. “You know what, I'll help you fight the rumor.”

“It’s not a big deal. You don’t have to.” I said.

“It’s okay, I decided it by myself.” She said, then clenched her fist in front of her chest. “Count on me.”

“Thanks.”

Not long after, the bus was nearing Indah’s stopping point. 

“See you tomorrow.” She said, waving her hand.

“See ya.”

When she exited the bus, I was impressed at how her back was showing that I can depend on her.

0