Chapter 13 (Vol. 3)
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around half a year later…

Not many things had changed around the Capital. Same old, or maybe not for Haco. He’d begun slowly exploring everything it had to offer.

In truth, he has been searching for something.

Stopping by a street vendor, Haco waited till his turn while scanning through all the seeds on display until the vendor was ready to help him.

“You’re back already esteemed customer?”, weirdly enough, the vendor talked like he was selling something luxurious. But he was just being courteous because while not many things have changed, one thing did.

Esdeath’s personal bodyguards, Three Beasts, were renamed to Four Beasts with the addition of Haco joining. Successfully delaying Najenda had its merits he could spend like at the moment.

With a nod, Haco replied to the vendor, “I just want the usual.”

“Sure thing, esteemed customer.” The vendor quickly lifted up a decent-sized bag filled with pumpkin seeds, he was hiding under his stall. Usually, it would be on display, but after Haco kept coming, the vendor decided to only sell them exclusively out of fear, that maybe one day, he would be of stock a day Haco was coming by.

After paying, Haco left with his seeds. Pumpkin seeds had turned out to be his favorite snack to spend his pay on.

Munching a few, the slow-paced stroll continued. But looking at his eyes, even though he was snacking, he had a destination in mind.

Leaving the developed parts of the Capital, the design and materials the houses were built with drastically decreased in cost, until the houses appeared downtrodden. It didn’t help impoverished people were sitting on the muddy ground.

Haco couldn’t help but scoff at the sight of a woman smoking a Hookah. And by the sight of all the alcohol bottles around, she’s drunk too while being stoned. Her expression certainly showed having an effect. But what made him scoff, was the clearly malnourished little child she was barely able to hold onto in her intoxicated state.

This was a common sight in the slums.

Haco resolutely continued his walk when two children—a boy and girl—in rags, ran by while playing with a homemade ball.

The boy messed up and the ball slipped out of his hand before it bounced over to Haco. Before he could stop it, they had already run away in fear. Sticking their little heads out around the corner, they looked on when Haco began balancing the ball on his feet.

It slowly dragged the attentive children out, and even a few others join in.

“Mister what are you eating? Can I have some?” A brave boy asked and pointed at Haco’s bag.

Haco took a careful look around first before answering. He hasn’t gotten the attention of children only. Many adults were giving him and the children too much attention.

“They are pumpkin seeds, and you can all have some. But you have to eat them here and now. Else you can have nothing.” Haco gave his own conditions for the children's sakes and allowed all of them to have a handful of seeds.

An audacious man did try to beg for some too while giving all kinds of excuses. But Haco kindly told him to “Piss off!!"

Remorse isn’t something have even a bit off for adults that have failed or given up on life. They have or had their chance in life.

But these children probably wouldn’t. Their parents use them as scapegoats to get food by begging or stealing. In the worst case, they would be sold to horrible places.

Haco's goal was to let those of his people deemed failures, get a chance. Just one was enough. To use their true talent.

And he would clean this place and make it the place for rebirth.

When all the seeds were gone and the bag empty, Haco said his goodbyes and went back. It was time for work.

Before walking into the palace, he put on his stern expression—which he’d put away to not scare the kids—and waited until sundown before going in.

His job was to guard Esdeath at night while she sleeps.

Outside her door, stood the rest of his coworkers.

If he had to choose one he can get somewhat along with, it would be Daidara. Just your everyday simple battle maniac.

Usually, he would just stand ready beside the door when night fell, but as if she had been waiting, Esdeath called from the other side “Haco. Get in here!”

Accepting the call and walking in, not forgetting to slam the door in Liver’s uncertain face. Properly unsure if he should join. But the kept closed door spoke for itself.

Inside, Esdeath sat in a nice red chair, drinking her evening tea.

Without much courtesy, he joined her by sitting on the sofa opposite the table between them. He did wait for her to finish the tea, although it was with the intention of having her speak first.

Esdeath wasn’t wearing her usual white military uniform. Instead, she wore a long casual shirt reaching to her thighs.

Having finished the tea, she crossed her legs and said, “You don’t have to stand guard today.”

A little distracted by the naked feet and the wiggle of her toes, but still managing to listen, Haco turned confused. “Why not?”

A revelation, like a bomb exploding in his head, stunned Haco silly.

“I know you hate breaking your routine, but the Empire has failed in its plan to raid some tombs near Putra. So I have been asked to assist. But I think you should follow me as apparently, the people living there have some secret that lets them transform parts of their bodies into—why are you shaking like that?“

She quickly cut short her explanation when Haco turned into someone who’d seen a ghost while shaking like a leaf. He was trying hard to say something, but no words would come out of his mouth.

Cowardly thoughts that he tried hard to dispel roamed his mind. Should he stay quiet and ignore his people's situation? Save his own life which he might lose when Esdeath learns of his lie.

That he had not consumed a Teigu like her, but that he was from those exact tombs. Oh, how he wished that there existed other people that fitted her description.

Should he cower from the only chance he possibly might have right now, at this very moment, to save his dream from ever getting fulfilled?

Just because of something so silly as being too scared to open his mouth and tell the truth to the woman before him.

Letting out a deep sigh, Haco talked, “I need to confess something…”

1