Chapter 14
70 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Esdeath began tapping her finger on her knee in impatience. If Haco wanted to say something he should just spit it out, and not be mute after saying he has something to confess.

To encourage, she said, “Go on. You can tell me anything.”

While the encouragement might have meant well, Haco felt was harder to speak. Can he really tell her anything? And is she forgiving?

How should he explain it? The answer was found when he spotted a fly flying up and down by the table leg. It was just asking to be squashed with its tantalizing and outstanding maneuvers.

Esdeath's patience had run out when she saw it and thus smacked it with her cub after it decided to invade the tabletop.

Pitifully, the force wasn’t enough to instantly kill it. With its only intact leg—out of six—it was left to squirm until its last life force would run out.

When it seemed time for it to die, a finger with a blue flame burning on his index finger touched the fly.

“I lied about these flames. The truth is, this is the result of the Secret Art you’re talking about.”

Esdeath listened intently, but the thrown on her face wasn’t a good sign.

At first touch, the deformed fly could turn from its back to its stomach, while the legs straightened out a second later. The last thing that healed were its wings—and as soon as they were back to its tantalizing flying in the now quiet room.

Esdeath had come to many conclusions, but the most likely one was, “Are you from those tombs?”

Having already come so far, Haco admitted, “Yes…” and waited for Esdeath to go nuts.

But as nothing happened with the silence that continued for far too long. An annoyed mumble broke it, “How annoying” before she asked Haco with a stern voice, “Do they mean anything to you? Would you care if I killed them all?”

Haco assured her firmly, “I would!” Without any hesitation in his eyes.

Esdeath kept eye contact and asked a crucial question, “Then explain to me, how you ended up as something as pathetic as a slave?”

An ugly grimace instantly twisted Haco’s face. That would forever be a taint on his pride. Not that it really mattered before Esdeath. Someone who had demolished any competition since she was a kid, or so had Haco heard and felt very envious by it. Why does he have to struggle like this?

‘Strength. I need more strength!’

While showing signs of clear anger, Haco explained everything.

His dream of destroying two traditions the Gravekeepers had been following since the 1st generation.

1. They have to guard the tomb of the 1st Emperor forever, meaning it was forbidden to live outside. Anyone that defied it, would be hunted down and killed in a hunting mission.
2. Every half a dozen years, the Gravekeepers show respect to the 1st Emperor by showing off the next generation of Gravekeepers—by doing a show of how good they are in manipulating the Danger Beast blood flowing in their veins. Failing to show anything above standard meant death.

The 2nd happened a lot these years as a result of too much inbreeding, so they had to find partners outside and bring them back to the tombs occasionally.

“That’s why I want to pull the Gravekeepers out of seclusion and stop this idiocy of kidnapping partners outside. It would be so much easier to find partners if we could just walk in the light. There are so many possibilities here in the Capital, that’s why—“

“That’s why you want to bring the Gravekeepers here, more specifically, you want the slums. Right?” Seeing Haco’s shocked face, she couldn’t help tease, “What? You thought I wouldn’t know you have been going to the slums and giving kids pumpkin seeds?”

Haco nodded in response and questioned himself if he was that obvious. But he failed to realize that only the bare minimum in the Capital would do such a thing as giving away free food. Anyone who did would be very eye catchy.

But it matters not for Haco right now. What did was, “So can I bring them here—?”

Esdeath began signaling a finger for him to get closer, so he leaned over the table before his face was suddenly grabbed tight. Esdeath’s nails dug into the skin, drawing little blood.

With a sweet whisper to the ear, “Do you think I have forgotten about you lying to me? To also tell you the truth, I have known you did since a month ago. Do you think, I wouldn’t figure it out when can transform your legs into talons? Coupled with the descriptions of the people living there, you fit right in.”

Being at odds with Esdeath was truly scary. How could such a beautiful flower be so intimidating by just dragging her long thump nail over his cheekbone, leaving a long thin cut.

Just like a survival instinct of a cornered Danger Beast, Haco instinctively healed his minor wound and tried to pull his head out. While Esdeath took a long look at the little blue flame, wondering about her next actions.

But he didn’t attack as her voice continued in his ear, “I will forgive you this once. But if you ever lie to me again… I will make sure those flames of yours are put to work optimally. Get it?"

Haco nodded furiously in understanding which prompted Esdeath to push him back into his seat.

Opposite, Esdeath stood up and intended to walk out, but she saw Haco kept sitting with a complicated expression. It made her realize that she might have come off wrong, so she opened the door and ordered Nyau, “Go tell Honest to meet me in the throne room. Haco has a request he wants as a reward for his work up until now."

Because Esdeath treated her pieces well, by enforcing loyalty with sticks and carrots.

Haco’s expression lit to be brighter than the sun. She’d never seen him this happy.

‘Actually, I have never seen him happy. It suits him…’

Meanwhile, it was Liver’s turn to get confused when he looked inside the room.

‘Since when, did she begin giving out rewards that require that damned corrupt minister’s acceptance?’

1