Chapter 15
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A meeting was quickly set up in the throne room at Esdeath’s request.

In it, the Prime Minster was standing beside the current Emperor, with not a shed of elegance as he was stuffing his mouth with meat from a plate he was holding. Honest wasn’t even using a fork and complained while chewing, “Tch, did she have to interrupt my dinner just to give her guard a reward? It better not be a simple one. I’m getting fatter by waiting here.”

Sitting on the grand throne, the monarch of the Empire himself, was just a little kid that naively reprimanded Honest, “Don’t say that Minister, she’s someone who could drink Demon’s Extract whole without going insane.”

Honest couldn’t help remembering the shock he’d when he watched Esdeath drink the whole Teigu that had driven everyone before her insane from just a little sip.

‘It must be because she was insane before she drank it,’ dismissed Honest silently. He was very happy to be in cooperation with Esdeath. As long as she can initiate wars and fight, she’s willing to follow orders, then she won’t interfere in politics.

Honest’s contend thoughts were broken by the eager voice of the little Emperor, “It’s also the first time I’m meeting the new addition to the Four Beasts. I heard he survived being shot in the head, is that true? And do you think he can help in removing those pests dirtying my predecessor’s grave?”

Honest suddenly lost the appetite. The truth was, he was the first person to figure out Haco’s origin. And that it would put a wrench in his plan to raid the 1st Emperor’s tomb. So much work he had done to manipulate the Emperor into thinking it was okay to take The 1st Emperor’s tomb as their own. That what they were doing was honorable.

If it wasn’t for Esdeath insisting on still having Haco in the Four Beasts, Honest would have seen him killed a month ago…

And now Esdeath is letting Haco have a request. She never told Honest anything about that.

“It’s true. So he better be helpful, or it’s not worth it standing around getting fat.”

“Uhm, Minster, don’t you think it’s because you eat too much?"

“Eh? You might be right. You're so wise your highness.”

The little emperor grinned in satisfaction at the compliment. After his parents' sudden death, Honest was the only person helping him through his grief before taking up the mantle. Only when they were alone, would he act his normal childish self.

That’s why, when Esdeath walked in followed by Haco, the Emperor’s expression turned serious. He’d to look like an Emperor.

The two walked up the red carpet until they reached the staircase to the throne. Then Esdeath took her hat off and went down on one knee, “Greetings you majesty.”

Coming from behind, Haco did the same from Esdeath's right. Once again showing he doesn’t know the proper etiquette as he was currently signaling that he had the same standing as Esdeath.

“General Esdeath” acknowledged the little emperor before getting to the point. In truth, he was very curious about Esdeath these days, so—

He beckoned Honest, “The Minister has told me you want me to grant a request your subordinate has. Let me hear it first before I decide if I will fulfill it."

While holding her military cap over her chest, it was Esdeath’s turn to beckon—with her eyes—to make Haco state what he wanted.

“Let me explain… your majesty.” including the title was almost forgotten.

“Go on."

“I have heard you intend to raid the tombs around Putra—“

“Not ‘intend’, we’re already doing it.” Corrected Honest while being bothered about which meat he should eat next.

That agitated Haco as he quickly spoke about what he wanted in hope of stopping any actions immediately, “I request you change your plans and instead absorb the people living there into the Capital!”

“No way! I’m not letting those uncivilized monsters who have been tainting my predecessor’s grave, into my home.” Objected the Emperor.

“Piss—“ off is what he wanted to say. If there’s one thing the Gravekeepers have been doing for hundreds of years, then it’s keeping the 1st Emperor’s tomb untainted. Killing any invaders that had stumbled into their territory. But a slap to the back of his head by Esdeath halted his cursing.

Meanwhile, Honest calmed the agitated little emperor down, “Now now. Let’s hear why we should do that. It costs a lot of money to just suddenly integrate a group of outsiders into the Capital. What would make that worth it? Also, your majesty, I have just learned of this, apparently, Haco here is coming from those tombs."

In shock, the Emperor rose to a position in which he pointed at Haco in furry, “Ah! You’re one of those thieves who claim to own my predecessor’s legacy? How dare you steal from the Empire. The secret in which founded this Empire. I won’t forgive you!"

Honest had done a really good job in distorting the facts so the raid would be a justified action.

By all the accusations, Haco was about to blow a fuse. The only thing that missed was losing control of his powers.

Things were also getting too dumb for Esdeath to be here for, so she gave Honest a signal—do your thing.

“Calm down your majesty. As the leader, you must be calm and consider the best actions for the Empire.”

“What advantages would a bunch of thieves even give? Also, where should we even put them?"

It was his cue—that brought him back to calm—so Haco eagerly stepped forth, eager to be heard “I have already figured that out. Place them in the slums and I will personally guarantee that things around there will change.” With a little pause, Haco dropped kneeling and rose, “I believe any Gravekeeper has infinite potential—

‘—in something—’

“—to be the best!” Every word was something he truly believed, which is why he could claim such a thing. But to give a sample of proof, he turned around and told Esdeath, “Stab me.”

Hesitation was not a word in her vocabulary, but she didn’t have her rapier on her as it wasn’t allowed to carry arms in the Emperor’s presence. A rule that must be obeyed, or the man standing guard behind the Emperor and Honest, wouldn’t be silent anymore.

To Esdeath, why would that even matter? It didn’t, so she rose.

In her delicate hand, a crude ice sword was materialized which she’d recently learned to do. Her ability to conjure ice was improving rapidly. So much Haco was in a hurry to improve. Go beyond. But he found he was missing something Esdeath had.

A resolutely fearlessnesses.

Something Honest would agree on when he saw how Esdeath chunked the consumed Demon’s Extract—the entire chalice filled with blood—she drank it all without any hesitation. A little taste had driven countless men insane and she drank it all because she assumed that the amount of blood that the user drank, determined their level of power.

She greedily wanted all the power.

And now, after having consumed it, she still continued to experiment with her power without hesitation. Not wasting energy on what if’s.

This is why, from now on, he will also pursue the infinite potential he speaks about. He has to or years later, his words will just be empty words in front of monsters like Esdeath—and the man quietly standing guard.

The little emperor’s little bump jumped as he was just too startled to see Esdeath go on to stab Haco in the head, just through the middle of his eyebrows in a swift motion; by extending her foot as far possible forward without overstretching and losing balance. The lunge instantly extended her ice sword’s reach and continued out from the back of Haco’s head.

Shortly after, Esdeath dematerialized the sword, and the swirls of fire that kept Haco from instantly dying, filled the hole.

“He’s not dead.” The little emperor stated the obvious in the throne room as Haco returned back to normal. But he was also eager to know something, “Does your ability have a name?”

“I call it Flames of Resurrection."

Having seen how heaven defying Haco’s flames are in person, the little emperor now felt like he knew why he must be calm and consider the best actions for the Empire. So he turned to Honest, “Minister I think we should accept this man’s request.”

“As I have said before, you are wise. I will listen to your decision.”

Haco had been forcing himself to not show any sign of weakness before them as it would downplay his display, but it felt good the burden now was gone. His people were saved.

Until—

“But might I make a suggestion?” No way did Haco understand how the political power worked around here, but this minister seemed like the real guy in charge. His eyes looked so greedy. Like he saw a new piece of meat that he must have on his plate.

“Go on."

“I think this request is a little too steep. After all, he hasn’t earned that much merit, yet. So instead of making this a request, how about changing it to an exchange.”

The little emperor nodded as he understood, but he was just pretending and signaling Honest to go on again.

“How about in exchange for granting your wish, you help us in exterminating a group of very tricky people? General Esdeath, you would be fine with lending your bodyguard to us at a later date, right?”

“If that’s what he wants.”

Who and why did not matter when Haco accepted, “You’ve got a deal!”

“Then you better hurry to Putra. We have already sent one of the best assassination squads to end things there.”

Honest just had to make good things worse which made Haco wonder on the way out of the throne room, ‘Why does everyone have to be so sadistic?"

Now they had to hurry.

1