Chapter 4 The Warmth of Kindness
426 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slowly turning around Izuku came face to face with the person watching him quite literally as she had no sense of personal boundaries, her face only inches from his. Her appearance was interesting to say the least, with her pink shoulder-length hair in dreadlocks, green eyes with what looks like the cross hairs of a gun in them and some red steampunk styled goggles with similar cross designs in the lenses framing the top of her head.

She was wearing a black tank top along with a baggy pair of sweatpants and a pair of black gloves on her hands. A jacket was tied around her waist and she was smiling widely at him, her eyes gleaming with curiosity. "What's wrong aren't you going to tell me about your amazing babies! How were they made? What temperature is that ice to be able to freeze fire so easily? Please tell me!," she was like a kid on a sugar high and her close proximity to him was starting to make Izuku uncomfortable.

"U-um can you please give me a bit of space first, this is rather uncomfortable," to his credit he was able to stay calm, despite her seeing him test his equipment.

A slight blush adorned the girl's face as she stepped away embarrassed, "Sorry, I've been told I get a bit too excited when it comes to gadgets and inventions. But seriously though, how was that baby made? Oh, my name is Mei Hatsume by the way."

Izuku was surprised by how much the girl could talk, however he didn't find it to be a bad thing. A smile adorned his face as he temporarily forgot the situation he was currently in. After all the bullying at his school, this girl named Mei was a breath of fresh air to him,"Well it's nice to meet you Mei, I'm Izuku Midoriya. As for what you saw, that's a secret I'd rather not tell somebody I just met."

She pouted at this,"Well then we will just have to get to know each other then won't we, and I know just how to start." She grabbed his hand and dragged him behind her going away from the dump and towards the city.

"Hey I was kind of busy, you can't just take me somewhere random, this is so unfair you know," Izuku frantically stuffed his gadgets into the bag he brought with him as he was talking. "Oh stop being such a whiner I promise this'll be fun," Mei had a wide grin on her face as she ignored the worries of the green haired boy.

'Wait a minute, where is she taking me? Oh, well she seems like the eccentric type anyway and I am certain she won't let me go, besides she still knows my secret so I can't let her out of my sight,' Izuku sighed as he gave up, letting the girl drag him off.

"So you never told me where we are going, you just dragged me off," now that he stopped struggling, he was curious as to where they were going. "You'll find out when we get there, don't worry it's not too far away," she said as she walked away with Izuku in tow.

After some time walking they arrived in front of a house in a residential area. It was a cozy little place, complete with a second story and a garage. Not stopping for even a minute, Mei marched her prisoner towards the door. Izuku was struggling now to get out of her grasp. "Hey you didn't say we were going to your house," a blush adorned Izuku's face as he said that.

"Well I did say you'd find out when we get there however the house isn't what I want you to see, this is just a pitstop," with that's said Mei opened the door pulling a struggling Izuku behind her. "MOM, DAD I'M HOME AND I BROUGHT A FRIEND!!!," with every word she yelled, his nervousness grew more and more.

He hadn't been to anyone's house since before he was four, let alone the house of a girl he just met.

The sound of footsteps could be heard until a woman appeared in the hallway with a man following not too far behind.

"Welcome back Mei you should have told me you were bringing a friend. I'm her mother Mitsuri Hatsume and this is her father Makoto Hatsume," the woman talking with him had long black hair styled in dreadlocks. She had a face that rounded out into a sharp chin and was wearing an apron over blue jeans and a yellow T-shirt. Combined with the spoon in her hand it was obvious she was in the middle of cooking.

The most striking thing about her though was her eyes. The sclera of her eye was a beautiful fiery orange with no Iris, a gigantic pupil was in the center of it.

the father was even less normal with pink hair and an aloof smile on his face he looked downright goofy. The most bizarre thing about him was again the eyes.

There was what looked like binoculars glued to his eyes. Upon closer inspection though Izuku realized this was a part of his body, most likely his quirk. Green eyes were magnified, looking at him in a cartoonish manner through his lenses.

After awhile he realized he was staring a bit too much and coughed,"Sorry about that, I'm Izuku Midoriya and it's very nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Hatsume." After seeing that Izuku was nervous Mitsuri smiled wryly.

"No need to be so nervous, you can just call me Mitsuri. Thank you for being Mei's friend as she has a very hard time making them, this is the first time she has brought someone home," she said this with a kind smile.

"Mom, me and Izuku are going to be out in the shed," as she said this he got a bit more curious. 'She kidnapped me to show me a shed? What could possibly be in there that is so important?' while thinking this he felt a tug on his arm and next thing he knew he was being dragged toward the back of the house.

"Ok just be careful, dinners going to be ready in a bit so don't get too wrapped up in your work," as she said this her husband spoke for the first time. "Don't worry Mitsuri, let her be for a little while. As you said, this is the first time Mei has ever brought someone home. She's even more energetic than usual, probably eager to show him her collection," Makoto said this as he smiled at his daughter pulling the struggling boy away, although the binoculars on his eyes made it look quite comedic.

As he was being dragged, Midoriya got a good look at the house. Photos lined the walls, of family vacations, eating out or even just hanging around the house. The most prominent ones however features Mei with her father in a workshop of some kind, helping him out with a car or some other mechanical thing.

'I guess Mei really loves fixing and making things, go figure. She does look very happy though, I miss my family,' he sighed as he thought this before a smile appeared on his face. It has been awhile since he had been invited to someone's house like this. Most people just outright ignored him for his quirklessness.

He didn't realize when they made it out of the house until he looked up and noticed the shed in front of him. It looked pretty normal as most sheds go except for the various burn marks from what looked like explosions marring the walls. Other than that it wasn't damaged, which meant it was reinforced with something. 

"I take it this is what you wanted to show me?," Mei nodded vigorously at his question. "This is where the magic happens. I make tons of babies in here!," Izuku's cheeks went tomato red at her remark.

'From what she has said so far and what I've seen in her house I can guess that babies in this sentence means gadgets, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing to hear,' as he thought this Mei had already made it to the door of the shed.

She adopted a serious face for a bit as she said,"Before I open this door, I have one thing to say to you. Prepare to be amazed!," only for her smile to come back as as he finished and swung the doors of the shed open.

Walking in Izuku's eyes widened as he entered into what was essentially a nerd like his self's dream room. Every kind of machine you could think of lined the walls. Soldering iron kits, buzz saws, blowtorches and piles upon piles of scrap metal littered the area.

He could see a couple unfinished gadgets in one corner of the room. "This place is amazing!," Izuku couldn't think of any other words to describe what he was feeling at that moment. "I knew you would say that! The moment I saw you I knew we were similar, want to see some of my babies?," as Mei said this, he couldnt help but get excited as he nodded his head.

Walking over to the back corner of the room they stopped at a mess of wires sticking out of a metal shell, a soldering iron was right by it. Izuku thought the shape of the shell looked familiar and recognized what it was by the durable dark red straps attached to the back of the shell. 

"Is it just me or is this modeled after the buster hero: Airjet's Jetpack?! This is so cool, how much thrust does this thing pull off?," a large smile plastered itself onto Mei's face at the words Izuku was spouting.

"Yes I modeled it after Airjet and although I haven't tried it out yet this baby should produce about ninety pounds of thrust. I wanted to make something that could be useful for getting out of a tricky situation and this is what I came up with, what do you think?" she asked this with the same smile plastered on her face.

"It's amazing you'll definitely have to call me over when it's done so I can see it in action!," Izuku had completely forgotten his earlier nervousness and started rambling on about the place.

"I'll definitely be sure to do that, now about this thing...," they talked on and on for quite awhile about different gadgets and how they could theoretically be made, until the question of the day was brought up. "By the way Izuku, you never did tell me about the amazing baby I saw you testing out today, how does it work?," as she asked this he was a bit less panicked than usual and knew he couldn't get out of this explanation.

Mei was just as much a nerd in gadgets as he was and ten times as assertive, he however did not see a reason to not explain how it worked. Taking out a shiny metal ball, he started to explain, "It's a chemical reaction. I have two solutions separated by a barrier inside this sphere and by pressing this button the barrier lifts which allows them to mix together, creating a chemical reaction with enough pressure to explode with one more neat effect. It absorbs the thermal energy in the immediate area, allowing for a quick freeze."

Mei was amazed by his knowledge of chemistry, but one thing confused her, "Which chemicals did you use, you never said what the solutions were? And wouldn't solutions mixing together automatically react, catching your hand in the blast before you even had a chance to throw it?"

Izuku was surprised that she caught on so quickly,"The answer to the first question is a secret. I'm sorry but you can't expect me to reveal everything. As for the second one the answer is a timer. When I press the button it activates a five second timer that will only allow the solutions to mix when it gets to zero."

Excited by the chance to talk to someone as interested in gadgets, Mei kept pestering Izuku with questions as well as talking about other gadgets that she had made herself while he answered her questions and complimented her creations with just as much fervor. The night went on like this until he checked the time on his phone.

"Oh God it's late, I gotta get back so I can wake up on time for school tomorrow," Izuku frantically grabbed his stuff as he said this. Mei was a bit saddened by this, it was the first time anyone actively engaged in a conversation with her and she was determined to make sure she could see him again.

Grabbing a pen and a piece of paper she began to write something down. Finishing with what she was doing she ran up to him,"Izuku wait! Take this with you , that way we can keep in contact."

Taking the paper out of her hands and looking at it his face went red. 'She actually gave me her phone number, what should I do? Actually it doesn't matter I can't lose this,' cautious not to lose the number he took his phone out and typed it in.

"Thank you Mei, now I won't lose it," he smiled brightly at her causing her to smile back," I better go now, I'll say bye to your parents too." Izuku ran back into the house as he said this to thank them for letting him visit. Entering the house he realized he didn't know the layout of the house other than where Mei had dragged him to. The door opened behind him, and the girl in question followed behind him through the door.

"You don't know where to go do you? Follow me, I'll take you where they most likely are at this time,"chuckling nervously, Izuku followed behind her as she led him to what was most likely the family room. It was certainly a cozy little place with a couch placed in front of a really big flat screen TV. A coffee table was carefully placed in front of the couch. 

A bookshelf was placed against the side of the room, mostly filled with what looked to be mechanical books. Of course there were also a lot of photos lining the walls. You could say what you want about this family, but it was clear to Izuku that they loved their photos. He spotted Mitsuri and Makoto on the couch talking to each other, which stopped when they came in. "You guys were enraptured in whatever you were doing over there you forgot about dinner," as Mitsuri said this both Izuku and Mei scratched the back of their heads sheepishly. Sighing she continued,"Luckily I saved some for you, go get washed up and I'll set it out for you."

Izuku stumbled his words," A-A-actually Mrs. Hatsume I just wanted to thank you and your husband for letting me over, but I have to go now. I have school tomorrow so I have to make sure I wake up on time." She smiled at him as she replied,"It was no problem at all, I will package your food for you then. Aside from that, I thought I told you to call me Mitsuri."

 "Sorry about that , but there's no need for you to trouble yourself Mitsuri. Besides the orphanage-," he was interrupted in the middle of his sentence. "Orphanage, what do you mean by orphanage?," both of Mei's parents as well as herself were eyeing him at this moment, making him even more nervous than he was previously. 'Damn it me and my mouth, I just had to say orphanage did I,' Izuku cursed himself as he now had no choice but to answer.

"I'm an orphan ma'am, I've been one for about a year now," as he said this looks of concern crossed the family's faces. "Well in that case I'm definitely packing up your meal and that's not up for debate," Mitsuri marched to the kitchen as she said this making it clear that the conversation was over.

Sighing, he followed behind her as she started to wrap the bowl she had prepared in some tinfoil and handed it to him, "I hope you don't mind katsudon and I expect that bowl back." Izuku's mind was in turmoil as a tear slid down his cheek but he quickly wiped it away while shaking his head,"No Mitsuri it's actually my favorite food, I can't remember the last time I had it. Thank you for your hospitality but I really need to leave now."

As he made his way out the door he heard Makoto say,"Just make sure to come back kid, our daughter seems to really enjoy your company." "Of course I will come back, she's not the only one who enjoyed having someone to talk to. You guys have a goodnight," with those words he left, running all the way back to the orphanage. 

Thoughts were running wild inside his head, him spending time with his mother, how she'd cook for him and feet over him all the time. Tears stained his face as he ran getting closer to his destination, running faster than he's ever run before. 'I wonder when was the last time I felt such warmth from anyone. It feels good yet painful at the same time. what do I do with these feelings,' with these thoughts in his head he didn't even realize when he made it back to the orphanage.

Walking inside his room, Izuku closed the door behind him and set the food down on his desk. Grabbing a fork and sitting down, he lifted the foil covering the food. Staring down at it for a little while, he finally got the nerve to stick his fork inside. Putting it in his mouth, memories automatically flooded his mind. Him and his mother sitting at the table, happily eating their food as he talked(lied) about how his day went. His mother's happy, content smile as she listened to him.

He couldn't hold it anymore as tears broke, spilling down his face,'This taste, this warmth, it's been so long I almost forgot how it felt. The kindness of another person, the warmth of a friend. How can something feel so nostalgic yet so foreign at the same time.'

Finishing his food, Izuku wiped the tears from his face and slid into his bed with his mind in turmoil from these thoughts. He had a restless sleep that night to say the least.

13