Chapter 5 – New Life
1.2k 6 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Ring Ring Ring} 

Waking up the next morning once again to the sound of an alarm, Makenzie faced towards the ceiling and organized his thoughts before proceeding to get ready for the day. 

Heading downstairs after washing up Makenzie saw breakfast was already laid out for him on the table with a note from his father saying ‘Ken I'll be working day shifts for the next couple of days. If you have any problems at school or feel unwell, contact Diana. She will be over at 5:30pm to make you dinner so make sure you get the door for her.’ A note like this might seem like Makenzie’s father was putting too much trust in the 7-year-old Makenzie but the former owner of Makenzie’s body had been a very mature child, growing up with no mother and a dad who worked 4-day shifts of 12 hours rotating day and night as a police officer for the NYPD. With his mature mindset there wasn’t even a need for Makenzie to have a babysitter like Diana come over to make his dinner. He had expressed an interest in cooking since he was young and could handle most of the cooking if his young physique didn’t get in his way.  

Diana his babysitter was just the insurance his father needed to go to work with peace of mind. Old Makenzie also understood this point early on, when he saw the regret on his father's face when he was forced to bring 4-year-old Makenzie to a funeral for an officer who died in the line of duty. So, he never complained about his father's insistence and instead helped his father look for people who could look after him. Which led them to discover Diana Prince. A nice middle-aged woman who used to work in a daycare before it went out of business. Afterwards, she became a housewife, so it was no trouble for her to come over once or twice a day to help Makenzie cook his meals and double check the house for any problems.  

After he finished eating, Makenzie stood up and made his way to the kitchen quickly, packing himself lunch and proceeded to the front door of his house. Exiting his house, he made his way to a nearby street and waited patiently for the school bus to arrive.  

15 minutes later, the bus arrived and as Makenzie boarded the bus a shout from a seat near the back attracted his attention “Makenzie back hear.” Looking towards the voice Makenzie sees Tom Holland A.K.A Peter Parker in the back of the bus waving him down. ‘Wow!’ Makenzie thought to himself ‘So I really am a part of the same class as spiderman but wasn’t MCU Peter born in 2001 not 1994’ (An: The current year is 2001) Thinking to here Makenzie once again reminded himself to take his future knowledge with a grain of salt. ‘And there’s also that to consider’ Makenzie looked over to the seat across from Peters to see a well-dressed and distant boy who he recognized from his memory as Harry Osborn. ‘So, then this is a combination universe between Spiderman and the MCU. Wonder if anyone else is here as well, maybe the X-Men?’ Sitting down next to Peter, Makenzie decided to do research later and turned to start speaking to Peter next to him. He tried to talk in a way that imitated the old Makenzie, but differences still showed. No matter how mature old Makenzie may have been he couldn’t come close to the maturity Makenzie had before experiencing his transmigration let alone after it. 

Makenzie could tell Peter was starting to notice the difference in behavior when the bus arrived at school, and he was thankful that he would get a break from Peter as the group of spider characters including Gwen, Ned, MJ, and other characters were separated into 2 classes since kindergarten and wouldn’t merge till next year when some extras left to go to French immersion or for other reasons. 

Sitting through his classes Makenzie tried not to show the sudden leap in intelligence that he had. Answering only when called on and purposefully answering some questions incorrectly. It was a tiring process and was only matched by Peter somehow concluding that it was his job to find out the difference between old and new Makenzie's behavior. Spending most of his breaks dodging questions and trying to distract Peter. Getting off the school bus once he arrived back on his street Makenzie released a sigh of relief. ‘Personal interactions are going to take a long time to get used to’ Makenzie thought to himself bitterly. Just thinking of all the work, he would have to put in in the future so he could adjust to the new life he had been given gave him a massive headache. 

Opening the doors to his house, he went to his room and took out a hidden notebook before proceeding to create a drawer similar to the one Light used in DeathNote using his dad's tools where he hides a notebook containing all the information, he had on the future of the MCU. It may seem foolish to leave around such important information, but Makenzie was worried about the consequences of anything he overlooked. In the Marvelverse every threat needs to be taken seriously and Makenzie would be damned if he let himself forget something that could save lives. Also, the device he had now was enough to stop most people who might go through his room. After all, Makenzie hasn’t done anything exceptional, so he doesn’t need to worry about any true professionals breaking into his room. After he finished leaving a note to check for info regarding mutants and updated the book with the relevant information he found or remembered today, (which was very little) he opened his textbook and started to do the basic but tedious math homework he received from his homeroom teacher. 20 minutes later, once Makenzie finished his homework, he looked towards his clock and found that Diana should be arriving in about 5 minutes. Heading downstairs waited for Diana to arrive. Almost immediately after he sat down in his living room the doorbell rang, and Makenzie hurried to stand up and open the door. As soon as the door opened before he could react, he was pulled into a bear hug. “Ohh! Thank goodness. I heard about what happened to you yesterday from your dad. That must have been terrible. Are you all right Kenny? Want to tell your Aunt Diana about it?” 

“Aunt Diana. I... can’t breathe.” Makenzie was barely able to squeeze out the words before he stopped breathing permanently. Thankfully, Diana pulled away from him and started to apologize continuously “I’m sorry Kenny. I was just so worried after I heard about what happened. You're okay right”  

“Yes, I’m fine. And yesterday I just had a bad dream. You don’t need to worry Aunt.” 

“Well, if you say so dear. Just remember you can always give me a call if you're having problems.” 

 “I know, thank you Aunt” Makenzie thanked her for her good intentions, but Diana just waved him off dismissively 

 “Don’t mention it, Kenny. That’s what family is for.” Hearing her call, him family Makenzie winced slightly at the painful reminder. Looking up once again towards Diana and then turning his head to look at a photo framed on the wall of his father and him together at the beach. Makenzie came to a decision in his heart. ‘Even if they aren’t the family I remember, they still care for me deeply and I owe it to old Makenzie to love them back... No more than that.’ Pausing slightly in his thoughts as cold air seemed to surround him, Makenzie shook his head quickly dissipating the cold atmosphere ‘More than that, it’s been far too long since I’ve done anything but watch people suffer. I need to move forward and embrace everything this new life has to offer me.’ Focusing his attention once more on Diana who was now starting to cook dinner. Makenzie hardened his resolve to love his new family without judgement based on his old family's standards as he entered the kitchen to help cook. 

.. 

... 

It has been 4 years since Makenzie promised himself to properly adapt to his new life and he has fully committed himself to that goal. Every chance he had gotten within the last few years he had spent bonding with his new family and friends. It was hard at first with him going to sleep every day fully exhausted and continuously planning on how best to start his changeover from the Makenzie people were familiar with to the Makenzie he is now. He had struggled to show emotions and he would often be caught up in his memories. But after the first-year things had started to smooth out with those close to him gradually excepting the changed Makenzie. And he had stopped having dreams as more time passed his memories of Overwatch became vaguer. With Makenzie only being able to remember times when significant events happened. Finally liberated (at least partially) from what held him back the most, the next three years were spent deepening the bonds he had with everyone. Creating new memories to reinforce that this is his new life as well as accepting the old Makenzie’s memories as part of him. 

Waking up once again for school. Makenzie dragged his sleepy body out of his bed and to the bathroom, proceeding to shower and get dressed before heading downstairs. As he went down the stairs a lovely smell of bacon started to waft over from the kitchen and Makenzie felt a smile bloom on his face as he unconsciously hurried himself to the kitchen. Turning into the kitchen, he caught sight of his father working his way around the kitchen in a pink apron. Laughing at the always ridiculous sight Makenzie reflected on the memory where his father had gone to Aunt Diana and asked her for an apron so he could use it while cooking. He could still remember the great laugh he had at his dad's expense when he returned home wearing that apron. His dad had chosen henceforth to prove that Barbie products are for all people and not just children. 

Approaching towards the dining room table Makenzie greeted his dad with the same greeting he always uses whenever his dad decides to cook for him. “Dad. Looking good. Are you sure you don’t want me to recommend you some other good barbie products to use while cooking. I hear the new easy bake oven puts old products like ours to shame.” Hearing his voice his father turned his head around and gave him a glare before speaking “No! I’m good with what I have wouldn’t want you going out of your way for your old man. Have a seat breakfast will be ready in a minute.” Having a chuckle at his dad's reaction Makenzie made his way towards the table and while waiting looked around their house which was now covered with photos.  

Relaxing at the table Makenzie allowed the warm feeling of the house to permeate his body as his head moved from photo-to-photo tracing out his life since waking up in this new life. He saw a photo of him and his dad at an aquarium for his 8th birthday. Aunt Diana always insisted on taking the photos so he there weren’t as many with her around. This photo was one of Makenzie’s favorites. They were in front of the Atlantic Ghost Catshark tank (way too long a name) and were taking a photo as the shark was being fed. But one of the sharks had been a little too eager and had jumped up almost 4 feet. The startled tank keeper had jumped back losing his hand on the fish which flew through the air and hit his dad right as the photo was took. Since then, his dad had refused to enter an aquarium. Stifling his laughter, as his dad started to serve breakfast Makenzie heard footsteps coming down the stairs and turned around to see Aunt Diana walking down in her pajamas. Seeing him looking at her she smiled brightly and greeted him. 

Unfortunately getting older isn’t always a happy experience. About 2 years ago Aunt Diana’s husband was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer and 8 months ago he passed away after putting up a miraculous fight. Aunt Diana at that time was still not working, focused only on caring for her husband and with her grief it was unlikely that she would be able to get a job to pay for their house. Makenzie’s father offered her a place with them until she was ready to stand on her own two feet. After staying with them these last 8 months and from the constant effort of Makenzie and his father, Aunt Diana was finally starting to move forward and had a job interview later today as a teaching assistant at a local preschool.  

Enjoying his breakfast with his family Makenzie let go of his constant worrying and distracting thoughts and enjoyed the moment. Leaving for school 15 minutes later Makenzie on his walk to school started to reflect on what he currently knows about the future and what he can do to try and change it. Afterall with his current timeline not reflecting the one shown in the MCU this world could be one where the Avengers lose to Thanos and Makenzie would be damned if he just did nothing and waited for Thanos to come. So, he had been constantly looking for ways in which he could have the greatest effect on the future without having to risk his or his family's well-being. On a side note, since coming to this life Makenzie has noticed that his intelligence and ability to learn seem to have increased significantly. Makenzie believed these new abilities to be the result of his new body having more talent and maturing earlier than his previous life's body.  

However, even with his new intelligence Makenzie is struggling with producing an effective strategy to improve the situation. Going to Tony Stark as he is currently would produce as many results as working with the homeless drug addicts of New York. With his arrogance and disregard for anything without curves, working with Tony is impossible. Although, Makenzie had still convinced his dad to invest in Stark industries whenever the prices dropped. Oscorp was a similar situation Makenzie didn’t have any attention of touching that company even with a 1000-meter pole. Oscorp is a villain production machine that he has no plans of interfering with until he has someone on his side to deal with them.  

All his other options reached a dead end as well. In his current situation he has no method of working from a spot in the dark but also can’t risk coming out into the light. He wasn’t worried about most of the Marvel evil organizations. The only one that caused him problems, however, also happened to be the one with the most resources and ability to hurt him. Fucking HYDRA. With them currently having SHIELD wrapped around their fingers anything major he tried to change would surely be noticed and then he can kiss this new chance at life goodbye. Especially if mutants are in this universe. Makenzie had tried to dig through the internet in search of whether mutants existed but whenever he tried his searches turned up nothing. He had also tried looking for names like Charles Xavier or Hank McCoy as well, but he still turned up nothing. If he was lucky, HYDRA would just kill him if not they could force his cooperation through his family or even worse brainwash him into some HYDRA fanatic.  

Coming out of his thoughts once the school came into his view, he saw from afar a more mature but still very childish Peter Parker standing near the school gates waiting for someone. As he turned his head towards Makenzie his eyes lit up and he grinned stupidly as he rushed in Makenzie's direction. Watching him caused a smile to come over Makenzie’s face as well. 

‘Well. There’s no rush, I still have time to think about this more before making any decisions. So, there’s no need to rush into anything.’ Makenzie thought to himself as he started to walk into school with Peter looking forward to the day in front of him. 

45