Chapter 3: Reconciliation.
461 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next morning:

Rin had packed up and bid his farewell to the church, he walked to Shiro's grave and found Yukio already there with a bouquet of white roses in his hands.

He watched Yukio silently from behind, leaning on a tree with his hands in the pockets of his trousers. Yukio turned behind to see Rin behind him and was shocked like a cat that you manage to sneak up on, spare the jump.

Yukio was shocked the second time when he looked at his brother, at first glance, he thought that he had seen someone else, Rin with his hair slicked back and those glowing blue eyes that seem to peer through everything.

Even the aura around him had changed, long gone was the childish and immature brother of his, the brother who was a brat with not a single shred of responsibility, what stood before him was a man whose very presence demanded respect and reverence.

After Rin's features got demonized, and with his hair out of the way, his handsome face was on full display and it had a certain demonic charm to it, and his eyes that seem to glow with a blue ember in the dark, he was a whole lot different from the last time Yukio had seen him.

"I guess it's time you start speaking Yukio, both you and father had a lot of secrets. Each time I thought about asking, I stepped back, all those years, but no more."

"These secrets took him from me, I have already lost him and I don't want to go through this anymore, you are all I have left, you are free to hate me and blame me for our father's death. Even if I am cursed, hated, or despised, I will never let someone I care about die again."

"Huh? What are you talking about? A demon like you should have handed yourself to the order, what are you trying to do now? Do you want to be an exorcist for what? revenge? or that twisted sense of guilt because you were the one responsible for tou-san's death? Just please die, don't tarnish his name." Yukio spoke with a deadpan face while his glasses shone with a white that covered his eyes.

"Revenge? nah, that's something I am not thinking about right now, and the guilt you speak about is something I will never bear, I want to live the best I can, to make him proud. If I can't even do that, how would I look him in the eye the next time I see him."

"And for the reason, I want to be an exorcist, it's fairly simple, I just want to be stronger and you Yukio are the one who will help me do this. All these years you spent with a badass like him shouldn't have been in vain for a smart guy like you, teach me all that he taught you and if you still hate me, just hit me till you have made peace with it, just make sure not to kill me. I don't want you to step in my shoes." Rin smiled as the rays of the rising sun illuminated his face.

Yukio on the other hand was lost for words, he sighed and walked towards Rin, with a raised hand and a stoic face, he approached Rin, who had gritted his teeth while his blue eyes had a resolute gaze.

The hit that Rin was anticipating did not come, Yukio placed his hand on Rin's shoulder with a conflicted look, "the words I said won't be the last time you hear this in your exorcist career."

"Can't do anything about that, but if possible I don't want to hear this from the people I care about, so... we good?" Rin asked.

"Well, can't do anything about that, so please don't do anything rash from now on, especially in school." Yukio sighed and the brothers spent some time together chatting as the awkwardness slowly faded and they returned back to the church gates together.

A pink limousine dashed toward them at a speed that was way above the regulations and hit a brake before it hit Rin who did not budge from where he stood with a smirk on his face. Yukio saw this and shrugged at his brother's antiques.

"Great weather for the two of you to start your new journey, isn't it?" Mephisto smiled as he came out of the pink limousine.

"Great it is, but I guess I have a favor to ask of you. Oh, and nice color on the car, it suits you." Rin chuckled.

The three got into the car and the driver stepped on the gas, the limo started speeding off and the three inside were sitting inside with an awkward silence.

"So, what favor does the son of satan want from me?" Mephisto asked with a hand on his chin.

"I want you to put me in the same class as Yukio and get me a laptop with an active internet connection, can you do it?" Rin asked, shocking both Yukio and Mephisto.

"Oh, pray tell, what good would that do me?" Mephisto smiled like the shrewd businessman he was.

"First off, I would be able to handle the living expenses myself and return you the amount you spend on the laptop and internet connection by two months at the latest, and with a nice cut of 15% interest on the base, interested?" Rin asked with a playful smirk.

Yukio, on the other hand, was like a sailor who found new land, 'is this the same muscle for brains nii-san I had?' while Mephisto had a look of appreciation as if he was looking at a gem in the rough.

"Very well, the terms are very good, but for being in the same class as your brother, it's not going to happen unless you turn smart which is impossible." Mephisto chuckled at the thought.

"Nah, just ask me anything other than Japanese literature and history, let's sort that out as well. But if you do, you will have to pay me ten million yen if I answer eight out of the ten questions you ask, and if I can't I will pay you double of that, if you are looking for a guarantee, just get me a bond that will let you deduct it from my salary as an exorcist."

"So, you up for a bet?" Rin smiled like the demon he was.

Mephisto was almost breathing roughly from how excited he was, "good, I accept your terms, let's see what you got."

Mephisto snapped his fingers and a clipboard appeared with a questionnaire along with a pencil, which he handed Rin with an expectant look on his face.

Rin dealt with the paper like a pro and handed it back, the handwriting was neat and the answers were standard, but what was to be noted was that all the ten questions on the paper were answered correctly, whether it was science or maths, even the geographical questions were answered perfectly.

Yukio was starting to doubt that his brother was replaced by someone else who had a face that clearly betrayed his thoughts, Rin chuckled at the sight, "yes, I have always been smart, and no, I was not kidnapped and replaced by aliens or the like. I simply did not want the old man to spend his hard-earned money on me, simply because I never had a dream or goal."

"So, Mephisto, I would like an international account made on my name and help me deal with the paperwork and the rest, and yes, the previous deal of you getting me a laptop is still valid if you are wondering about that and no, I am not able to read other's thoughts. You guys are just too predictable~" Rin chuckled at them, who were clearly frowning with three black lines on their foreheads.

Rin changed into his uniform, while Mephisto made a call to deal with what he needed to organize for Rin. The limo passed through the tunnel and the True Cross Academy came into view.

They got off and walked together to find their seats, which were now adjacent, thanks to Mephisto pulling a few strings. The brothers walked together, while Yukio had the looks and vibe of a straight-A student who was a bit nervous, Rin on the other hand had the bad boy vibe, with his hair slicked back and hands in his pockets. His glowing blue eyes had a predatory look while his lips had a playful smirk on them.

They were getting a lot of attention, especially with them walking together despite the perfect contrast in personalities, Yukio was the model student while Rin had that vibe that screamed, 'I'm BAD', whenever he looked at the group of girls he passed by, he could hear them squealing.

'I guess, this is a lot different than what Rin had done, the reactions from the people say it all. The blushing and squealing girls are much better than the mocking bunch which the original had faced in the story.' Rin smirked at the thought earning a few gasps from the girls.

"Would you mind not being an attention whore for a second, it's getting a bit out of hand with all these stares." Yukio sighed.

Rin laughed at the defeated look on Yukio's face and slapped his back, "cheer up, you just focus on the speech you were looking at all the time, I know you got this, so have some confidence in yourself, I got your back."

 

22