Volume 1 Chapter 4: The Unexpected Decision
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning started in the kingdom of Drigmor, it was another normal day for the people of Drigmor. Things were almost the same as it was yesterday until when a group of three knights walked down the stairs of the castle and was walking down to the slope. The colors of their armor were silver, but the knight in front of the two knights had an intricate design.

It could be higher in position.

The design was that only the whole back part of the body including the back part of the arms, legs, torso, and the head had a lot of spikes like a hedgehog. The back part of the armor was highly protected and dangerous.

They were heading to the "Food and Inn" tavern.

Bop was cutting meat and the rest were sleeping on their bed. The tavern was still closed and was near to be opened.

In a short moment, knocks of metal hitting wood were heard from the door.

The knocks made Bop stopped cutting and wondered, Huh? I was sure I placed a sign that we are still closed.

He went near to the door and decided, "Heh, the tavern is near to be opened anyway."

He opened the door and was surprised that there were three knights outside his tavern.

"Huh?"

He didn't know why they visited the tavern and it's unusual for knights to enter the tavern or any shops in the kingdom because there was a place to eat in the castle. Though, it was fine for the knights to enter and stay. But, he thought that they were not here for food, drinks or anything the tavern could give service to them so he asked, "Is there anything you need here?"

The knight in front answered and Bop could not tell who they were because of the closed helmet, "Good morning, Bop. I am Commander Graff... I'm looking for your son, Leo."

Bop was confused as to why they were looking for Leo but he was happy to see his friend, "Graff! It's been a long time. Why are you here?"

It seemed Graff and Bop were friends but Bop failed to notice his friend because of the suit of armor he was wearing.

The moment they joined and became a knight, they would mostly stay in the castle especially for commanders and higher ranks because they were the busiest people in the kingdom. Except for the patrols outside the kingdom, hiding within the shadows. They're still knights and tasked to see what things were going outside the plants.

If they spotted someone entering the grass, they would immediately report it to the castle. But how did Book enter the plants without the patrols noticing him? The castle would have known a piece of information that there was a kid entering the plants and stayed on the farm, but there was nothing.

Did the patrols fail to notice him?

In addition, there were no knights patrolling within the walls of the kingdom because the crime rate had been zero since the beginning of the kingdom. Not a single crime was committed or action before a crime was done.

Graff suddenly became shy because it had been a really long time since they met together. Now, the two grown men were talking with each other. Graff replied, " Yes. I was asked by Knight Commander Rugen to talk with Leo about someone he took in the kingdom. Our surveillance got Leo with him inside the kingdom and entered this tavern."

"Leo took someone in the kingdom? Hmm... Do you mean Book?"

"If that's his name then, can you bring Leo and Book here. We will escort them to the castle because someone would like to talk to them.

"Sure, wait here for a while. I'll bring them here."

"Thank you."

It seemed Bop found nothing wrong with Leo bringing Book into the kingdom. As he knew that Book was not from the kingdom, he was totally fine with it because he knew Book had been good since he came and he was friends with Leo.

What if Book was just acting to be good and friendly?

The knights waited outside the tavern and Bop went upstairs. As he went upstairs, Leo already came out from his room.

"Leo, can you call Book? Someone would like to talk with you, together with Book in the castle."

"...Oh no."

Leo's action of bringing someone, who was not in the kingdom, finally had a consequence. He did have a thought for this action but he really wanted to feed Book because he was really hungry and was asking for food and he was really a good person.

Now, there would be no harm bringing a good and kind person into a kingdom and there was no harm since Book's arrival.

All three of them went downstairs and Leo and Book approached the knights outside the door. Book was still looking sleepy and slowly getting energetic since his awake.

"Good morning, Leo and Book. Sorry for calling you this early in the morning."

Leo replied nervously, "No, no. It's fine."

"If so, follow us. We still have to go up the slope."

Book suddenly got energetic because he saw people wearing suits of armor, "Woah! I've seen you guys yesterday."

"Yeah, they're the knights of the kingdom.", answered by Leo as they were about to head out.

"Woah... Knights."

Book, now, knew what a knight was and got interested in them but most of their suit of armor. Whoever wore a suit of armor like the knights in front of them would be considered as a knight by Book.

In the kingdom of Drigmor, there were four rankings of knights: fourth would be the lowest and they held the title "Knight", third held the title "Commander" and whoever had this could order the knights, second held the title "Knight Commander" and anyone who obtained this title could control the commanders and the knights, and the first and the highest-ranking would be "Grand Cross". Any person who had this could control whoever below its rank.

There would be a badge to tell their ranks. The shape of a badge was a twinkle with four long tips like north, south, east, and west and in addition, there were short tips in between the lines acting like northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest. The color of the badge was gold.

"Knight" had no badge, "Commander" had one, but the tips of north, west, and east were removed, leaving the tip of south and the small tips only, "Knight Commander" had one, but the only tip removed would be the north, and "Grand Cross" would have the complete tips of the twinkle badge.

The badges were worn specifically on the left side of the chest where the heart was. However, the badges could only be worn when they were wearing formal clothes. There should never be a badge when one used a suit of armor.

They went up the slope, walked up the stairs, and entered the tall big wooden double door of the castle. Leo had never visited the castle and he was fascinated around the place, together with Book. They were engrossed by the designs of the place because it was their first time seeing it all and they kept looking around. They entered the wide hallway to the main hall of the castle.

The hallway was stylish and had beautiful designs that there was a line small chandeliers on the curved ceilings with red lines that would connect a chandelier to a chandelier and they were shining and gleaming from the crystals with them. The walls were formed in blocks over blocks of smooth polished stones and there were red, black, and white banners in between of the pillars of the walls that would start from a pillar to the next pillar. Each in-between of the pillars of the walls had an empty suit of armor holding a sword in front with both of its hands and this design was only seen on the entrance hallway, the rest of the hallways had nothing with empty suits of armor. The red carpet had designed with different shades of red on the edges and the length of carpet went in the great distance that there was only one red carpet on the first floor.

The hallway was just the beginning. As they entered the main hall, they were inside a circular shaped room with three hallways directing to the north, west, and east. On top of them was a huge chandelier that was beautiful to look at with the different colors of crystals that were shining and reflecting by the lights. The walls were made of marbles and were formed with curves like they were inside a pillar.

Graff was in front of them and said, "It's over here.''

They continued walking and went to the north hallway. The two knights stopped following him and stayed near the edges of the end of the entrance hallway, guarding the area.

The three proceeded and as they were walking on the north hallway, Leo asked Graff, "Who wanted to talk with us?"

They approached the wide and ten-foot-tall wooden double door and Graff opened it for them. As he was opening, he answered, "The king of Drigmor wants to talk with you."

He opened the door of the throne room.

When the door was completely opened, Leo and Book stepped inside the huge rectangular room with kingly artistic designs. The walls were exactly the same as the walls of the hallway. They were all amazed because of the size of the room and the designs. Leo had never seen the king and the queen before and didn't know how and what they looked like.

The red carpet continued narrowly in between to the two thrones of the king and queen. There were three steps to come up to the thrones. The thrones were identical and covered by fluffy pillows around the whole seat like it was cased. They were so clean and comfortable to sit on. The colors were combined with red, black, and white.

Behind the throne was a big flag of the kingdom with golden-yellow strings on the edges of it. But in between of the flag and the thrones, there was a statue of an angel from the flag, exactly taking the shape of the flag behind. When someone looked from the front, the statue would take the shape of the angel from the flag. There were two doors behind the throne and two pairs of doors on each side of the walls.

The ceiling of the room had three chandeliers that were shining brightly to light the whole room up, the design was there were long and wide banners hanging with colors of red, black, and white and they were positioned horizontally to be seen by the people who entered. There were three pairs of marbled pillars that would guide to the thrones.

The room was empty and Graff was confused because the king should be in the room, "Huh. The king isn't here. He was here before I left."

They walked forward to the throne and as they were walking, Book heard Graffs's words and was confused about the one word so he asked Leo, "Hey, what's a king?"

"I think a king is someone who rules a kingdom. I have not seen the king yet though, but I think he looks cool, strong, a gentleman, muscular, handsome ..."

Leo kept imagining and thinking of an ideal king which should resemble one because the king would represent the whole kingdom. A beautiful kingdom like Drigmor should have something that could be seen from a king.

As Leo was continuing, "Charismatic, with beautiful clothes, ...", the king arrived from the back of the thrones.

"There's the king.", Graff said.

Book and Leo looked at the king. Leo was very surprised by the appearance of the king while Book didn't know how to react.

The king was old and messy to look at with his wrinkles and his white hair with stripes of gray hair. He was slouching with his white sleeveless shirt with a coffee-stained on it, checkered boxers, one piece of loose sock on his right foot, and an untied pink sleeping robe. In addition, his legs were hairy and his eyes were black in color. He looked sleepy and tired while he was holding a cup of coffee with his finger.

He was not wearing anything that had a king in it.

He was about ninety-eight years old, healthy, and could still walk and run. Though, he looked so thin and had a fat belly that was coming out from the shirt.

"THERE'S NOTHING FROM WHAT I SAID IS SEEN FROM THE KING!!!", Leo shouted in disbelief.

Graff was embarrassed from it and whispered with complete approval, "I know so don't expect too much."

He felt like this had been going on with the appearance of the king that all of the people living in the castle just accepted it.

The king sat on the third stair and stared at the three of them with a reluctant lazy face. Together, all of them were staring at each other.

The king slowly sipped his coffee loud without realizing who they were until after sipping, Graff asked, "My king, the guests are here. You're still wearing boxers. "

The king looked down and realized he was still wearing his boxers that were worn during his sleep.

"Oh..."

He put his coffee on the floor, took his brown shorts out from the pocket of his sleeping robe and started wearing it.

"YOU HAVE SHORTS IN THE POCKET OF YOUR ROBE?!", Leo shouted in surprise because it was his first time to see someone having shorts in the sleeping robe to wear for later.

The king only wore shorts and was done with his outfit. Leo thought there would be more clothes to take out from his robe and wear it. But he sat down again on the stair and started drinking his coffee.

"THAT WAS IT?!"

Book still didn't know how to react because everything was his first time so he stood still without any expressions. But now, he knew what a king was.

After sipping the coffee, the king casually asked, "So... Where are the guest?"

Graff and Leo shouted together because they got annoyed already, "THEY'RE HERE YOU, IDIOT!", and, "WE'RE HERE, YOU IDIOT!"

"...Oh."

He turned his head around and shouted, "Rius! We can talk about the kid who went into the kingdom!"

He looked back at them and continued sipping. After some time, a woman came behind the thrones with a black aura around her. Her face was completely shadowed and her eyes were shining brightly with red like she was really angry. She was wearing a bustle frock coat corset with the color blue predominantly and black. She had a badge on her left chest, a twinkle star with the north tip removed. She's a Knight Commander.

She looked very scary and terrifying that it made Leo scared and Book confused. Graff, for the moment, was acting normal because this happened a lot of times.

She went behind the king, grabbed his head, and flicked her hand. The king was screaming while he was flying into the door on the left wall. Upon his entering the door, a cloud of dust came out from the room and noises of things breaking were heard.

Leo softly shrieked from the actions of the woman and nervously whispered to Graff, "Will the king be okay?"

"Yeah, he'll fine."

She walked femininely in front of the king's throne and sat down so elegantly. She then placed her leg over her other leg to look more feminine and looked at them with sharp cold eyes.

She was sensuously curvy and slender that her ample bosom was about to burst out from her corset as her cleavage was showing. Her skin was white and smooth. Her long navy blue hair would reach to her waist. Her violet eyes were naturally sharp that could intimidate anyone.

Overall, she had that stone cold beauty. Her face never changed or even gave another facial expression. She looked like she would not even care or even hesitate with her actions. She's scary to stare at like looking at a predator and so beautiful to look at, but she's a woman not to mess with.

Her face changed the atmosphere between Book and Leo as they started to get nervous as she was staring at them, but she was staring more at Book.

Then the tall man walked out behind the throne and stood still beside her. The man who had Book in his eyes as he glanced during the marching to the castle.

They gave them a cold face that they were really in deep trouble.

The tall man talked with a manly grown voice, "Forward, you two."

Graff stayed behind and the two walked forward. Leo was feeling overwhelmed by their appearance. He was in deep trouble for getting Book inside the castle. But, for Book, he was confused and nervous and didn't know what was going on.

"I am Grand Cross Rius, the successor of the king. The king who rules this kingdom is King Zarthus."

Leo was sweating as he heard that the person talking was second in power to the kingdom, next to the king. He had the second highest-profile and could be the strongest among all. As for Book, it's natural for him to introduce himself when someone introduced first so he became confident.

"My name is Book, an occupant of the tavern "Food and Inn" and my name was given by Catherine!"

Leo panicked and nervously answered, "Uh... My name is Leo, the son of Bop and Selen."

The woman changed her leg over the other leg and said in a womanly slow cold voice, "I am Knight Commander Lena, one of the successors of Sir Rius."

Things just got heated up just by their introduction to each other.

Rius asked, "Leo? Why did you bring Book inside our kingdom?"

"...Uh, he was hungry so I gave him food. Also, he forgot his past and didn't know where to stay so we gave him a place to live."

"..."

"I see. You're a kind kid, Leo, but we can't keep Book. He could be dangerous to the kingdom."

Leo was surprised by his words and defended Book, "Why? He's a good person. He has not harmed anybody. He's not an enemy if you're thinking of him as one."

Leo knew what he was talking about. Book could be an enemy that can potentially destroy the kingdom or even tell the people outside about the Drigmor Kingdom. Leo knew that they should never get out of the plants or even bring someone in the kingdom but his kindness took over and did what was best from him. Thus, helping Book out by sending him in the kingdom.

The kingdom might be hiding something important like a treasure or hiding the kingdom only from the outside world to protect the people of Drigmor.

Rius asked, "How sure are you he's not an enemy?"

Leo got serious and answered without any, "Because he's my friend!"

Leo stood firmly as his nervousness went away. He was not scared and terrified anymore from a person who stood higher than them because he knew who Book was and they didn't know about him.

Rius started thinking and decided, "Leo, this kingdom has walls and is surrounded by plants for a purpose. We never let anyone enter and you're the second person to take someone outside in our kingdom. You may be the first one to destroy-"

"Hey! Stop this discussion!", Book interrupted.

"...", everyone got quiet and looked at Book.

He continued, "You guys are talking about me either as an enemy or an ally. I'm right here! Talk to me!"

Rius asked Book an odd question, "The clothes you're wearing... Were your clothes exactly the same as the first one you had when entered the kingdom?"

The clothes Book was wearing could only be found in the kingdom of Drigmor. Rius wanted to check something that was problematic in his mind.

Before Book answered, the pupils of Rius' eyes changed its color to lime and it started to glow.

A mysterious power?

"Yes, these clothes I'm wearing are exactly the same as the first clothes I wore."

Everyone ignored the changing of the color and the glowing of the eyes because things got serious. Also, Book didn't care any of them because he wanted to prove Leo was right that he was an ally to the kingdom so he was determined.

Rius thought from the answer of Book, Not a lie. That would mean our patrols thought he was one of our citizens? Impossible, whoever enters the plants will be reported even an animal. He's hiding something that enabled him to penetrate from the eyes of our patrols.

Rius said, "We can't really trust immediately a complete stranger outside who we don't know even they are friendly and kind. If you want to be an ally, we have to test you. Lena and Graff!"

Both of then answered, "Yes, sir!"

Lena jumped towards Book at great speed and Graff hugged Leo and ran away from them. A battle was just made between Book and Lena.

Leo was surprised and said, "Wait?! What's going on?"

Book was confused and scratched his head, "What's going on?"

When Lena was near to Book, she threw a right punch and Book was able to dodge it in a nick of time. He could have been injured badly from that punch. She then swiped her right arm towards the head of Book. And he was able to dodge it as he ducked down.

"Wait! Wait! What's going on here?!"

She threw a left punch coming from the top, Book crossed his forearms and blocked the punch. The punch was so powerful that a shockwave was released around from the impact.

She opened her left hand and grabbed the point of intersection of his arms.

Book was done.

She was able to lock his arms with her hand and lifted him up like a feather. He was panicking that he couldn't move his arms. She clenched her other hand so tight and threw a punch towards his stomach. The punch was moving so fast and Book was able to think quick, he lifted his legs and clapped his legs in between of her forearm. He stopped the punch of Lena from continuing to his stomach.

Book felt relieved and whispered, "That was close..."

He looked at her stoned face, "Hey! What are you doing, Lena!"

She felt his legs were holding her forearm tightly and decided to smash him to the floor. She smashed him on the floor and he felt the pain on his back. He didn't say anything from the pain, he held it in as he clenched his teeth.

She whispered, "That's Sir Lena, Book..."

Book started to get serious and answered with an angry face, "I didn't hear you say Sir Lena when you introduced yourself!"

He broke free from his arms. She let it go as he gave a lot of strength to get free from her grip. He also released the arm of Lena's. As she was within the area of attack of Book, she jumped away from him to think and plan for new attacks and defend herself.

Book slowly stood up and took this thing seriously now, he was slightly slouching with his head facing down to the floor.

Lena prepared herself physically and mentally.

".."

Book told them, "I don't know what you are doing to me but..."

He turned back and started running away.

"WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU GOING!", Leo was surprised by his action and shouted.

"I'm running away!!!"

Lena turned her feet to prepare to jump forward towards Book and attack him but she was stopped.

"That's enough, Lena. I've seen enough.", Rius said and the colors of his eyes turned back to normal.

Lena stood still as Book was running away to the main hall. She then turned back and sat down on the throne. Leo was curious about what they did to Book. Graff released him and Leo ran to Rius.

"Hey! What was that all about with Book? Why did she fight him?"

"That was just a test..."

"So, are you keeping him in the kingdom? If so, I have a proposition to tell! Make Book as a citizen!"

"Sure."

Rius didn't hesitate from the answer he said. As if the test would tell that Book was one hundred percent ally to the kingdom, but how would Rius know and be so accurate just from the test with his eyes in lime color?

What were the eyes when they were in lime color? Could it be that he was able to see something inside of him that he was sure he was an ally?

Leo suddenly smiled happily as Rius accepted his words. He was about to celebrate, but.

King Zarthus came out from the door with his robe tied and exclaimed, "I'm in Leo's side! Who will go against me?!"

It looked like Zarthus was not able to hear the answer of Rius when he accepted the proposition of Leo. So he started acting that he would do the right thing as he thought Rius didn't answer Leo's question, making him also think that Rius rejected the proposition.

He walked towards Rius and smiled at him seriously. Even king Zarthus was shorter than Rius, he had the most power in the whole kingdom so they were silent.

King Zarthus told them like a parent teaching their child a lesson, "It was kindness that gave birth to this kingdom and if you oppose the kindness of this kid for bringing Book into the kingdom to feed him and give him shelter, you're opposing much more purpose than the walls and the plants that are doing to our kingdom right now... The kingdom is built first before its walls."

"..."

King Zarthus smiled at Leo and he nervously smiled back at him as he thought, What is he talking about?

He walked towards Lena and she told him, "You sit on the other throne."

"Ah, of course..."

Rius didn't answer Zarthus' question as the king already told him that Book would become a citizen.

After some time, Graff was escorting Book back to the king's throne room. He told him that they would not fight him anymore so Book's worry of going back was gone.

Leo was waving his hands with happiness and joy as he saw Book. Lena and Zarthus were sitting down on the thrones and Rius was standing beside Lena.

When Book arrived, Leo shouted, "Book! You're a citizen of this kingdom! Hehehe."

"Citizen? What's that?"

"You're part of us now! The people of Drigmor like me!"

Book suddenly got happy and said, "Woahhh! That's awesome! I'm like you!"

"Yes!"

Book and Leo were celebrating with each other. The certification of citizenship of Book would now be in the database of Drigmor where the rest of the certifications were. Now, Book could enter and exit the walls as Leo did. He could do it now without Leo holding him.

During their celebration, Rius asked, "Book, since you are a citizen of the kingdom now. What would you like to have for a job?"

Without any hesitation, he answered, "A knight!"

Leo was completely shocked by his answer, "EHHHHHHHH! Are you kidding?!"

Book smiled at Leo.

In the kingdom of Drigmor, there was only a king. The reason why they had no queen would either be that the queen died already or Zarthus was not able to find a woman of his life. Lena was not the queen, but she loved sitting on the throne.

The people in the castle were cool with each other. They thought of themselves as brothers and sisters or siblings. They would not take anything seriously like how Zarthus was thrown away by Lena and he was not mad at her. This would also follow to any person like if it was a maid who did that, Zarthus would still not get mad from her actions. But, in terms of respects, this was taken seriously like saying Sir, king Zarthus, and my king. But for Zarthus, he was cool if they just called him by his name without any king with it. For Lena and some, it would be another story.

King Zarthus was kind in nature, being a king didn't make him higher than his people. He's just like any ordinary citizen and he loved being like it. He's not corrupt, evil, or anything bad.

Rius, too, was kind. His face and actions would not say anything that was kind, but he really was. He really cared for the kingdom and the people, as the possibility of getting invaded from the outside, he would do anything to protect the people within the walls. He would never trust any outsider that was why he would rather kick Book out —kill him— than checking Book if he's an ally or an enemy with his mysterious eyes.

Overall to the people in Drigmor, they were all kind in some way as their forefathers taught them to be kind and thoughtful. Even in human nature, kindness was already present, but some people weren't kind at all or their kindness was just limited to some people. But in Drigmor, kindness was part of them that was just heightened to the average kindness of humans. Like Lena, her actions towards Zarthus maybe see that she's a bad person for hurting him, but she's really kind. It's just that, that's who she was, her true nature and everyone accepted who they were no matter what because among all the personality traits they had, kindness was part.

There weren't many bad personality traits with the people of Drigmor because they were living happily. There was nothing such as the dark side of Drigmor. This kingdom developed their people into humans that were happy to be born, lived, and died.

0