Volume 1 Chapter 16: Book’s First Task as a Knight
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Late in the morning, Book and Eve were sleeping together on the bed. Both of them were under the blanket as their heads were seen lying on a fluffy pillow. They were really tired of how much time and energy they spent during the celebration. They needed a lot of sleep from exhaustion and fatigue. While sleeping, Book immediately woke up from what he just thought of something important. He just opened his eyes widely and thought, I forgot to show my armor to Kairos!

Book had forgotten to prove Kairos that he was wrong and now he's an official knight to the whole world. Importantly, he didn't receive a suit of armor he wanted and dreamt of as a proof of being a knight to Kairos. He flipped the blanket and it landed on the area of Eve, doubling her blanket. He rushed outside the room and looked left and right. He was desperate to let Kairos know that he was already a knight, "Where is Kairos now! I bet he's hiding away from me because he's scared that he was wrong! I will find him!!"

He ran around the hallways of the second floor, searching for Kairos. He spends running around for an hour and so, and Kairos was not found anywhere on the floor.

He stood close to the staircase that leads to the platform, "This is annoying! How is he good in hiding!", Book still thought that he was finding away from him because he's already a knight, so he continued searching for Kairos around the castle.

Then he decided to go down to the first floor to continue his search, but when he reached the dining hall, he started deciding something important after his stomach grumbled.

"Hmmmm..."

The stomach grumbled again and in translation, "Do it."

Book ran as fast as he could towards the kitchen and entered. After that, he left with a hot frying pan that had a lot of meats cooking, sizzling and leaving a trail of the sweet aroma of meat. He was basically cooking them while running and finding Kairos, and he ate them after cooking them perfectly.

He roamed around the first floor and still, Kairos was not found. He stayed in the main fall of the first floor and stared at the doorway outside of the castle, "I bet he's finding away from me. If I were hiding away from somebody, I would be away from that person. Of course!", he shouted in the end as he discovered it.

He ran straight to the door with the handle of the frying pan inside his shorts, showing the circular pan. While running, he was excited to tell Kairos, "Hehehe. Just you wait, Kairos!"

Now, he was on the main street, surrounded by people, buildings, and houses. It was still in the late morning, so there were many people walking by or around. He was in the middle circle of the kingdom. He looked around, checking if Kairos was around. He squinted and whispered, "He's good in hiding...", then he shouted, "But I won't stop until I found you!"

He searched and searched, every corner, edge, alley, small roads, and path around the middle circle. He had not yet searched the outer circle because the middle circle was wide and had a lot of areas to walk by, so it took Book hours for this search. And the day turned to its afternoon, but during his search, Eve, with her backpack, was peeking out through the corner from a building, looking at Book like she was trying to find out what he was doing. She tried hiding behind the lamp post, behind a trashcan, behind a bench, and more. And Book didn't realize or notice her. When he was already tired from searching, he had enough and decided to ask someone out about the whereabouts of Kairos. He looked someone nearby and saw a little girl with white hair, sitting on the bench along the main road. He went in front and asked politely, "Excu-", but he noticed something familiar and asked one more time, "Eve?"

Eve was surprised that he found her and tried to find ways of how to avoid this situation. She started panicking, sweating, and looking away from his eyes, What should I do? What should I do?... Aha!, she thought of a brilliant idea. She slid her bangs on the back of her hair, changing her identity.

"Ah, sorry for calling you a name. But do know a person named Kairos?"

It worked. Book saw a different person just by moving the bangs to the back of the hair. Then Eve answered with her deep voice, "Ahhh, yes. I saw Kairos around here somewhere. He was in the middle of the road like this one, walked to the right, right, up, and stopped. He ran towards his left four times and turned down and turned again to his left. He stopped again. He walked cautiously up and looked around like he was avoiding someone."

"Interesting...", Book had gotten curious as he held his chin.

She continued, "After that, he walked to his left until he met a wall in front of him, so he continued to move down and then stopped for a moment for a glance around him. In the end, he ran into the "Door" "

"I knew he's hiding away from me...", he squinted and continued, "Such detailed information you got their stranger. Thanks!"

She smiled and replied, "Your welcome!", in her normal, energetic voice and he didn't notice it.

So he followed what she told him about the directions where Kairos would end up. And he was able to remember them. He started to be in the middle of the road and continued with the use of the words from the stranger.

After following the directions given from a kind stranger, he ended in a location that had walls in front of him and it stretched far, but it was not yet done. He was curious about it and touched the walls, "Kairos must be behind these walls. I need to go inside. But where's the door?"

He ran around the walls and found a door made out from the walls, camouflaged, the kind stranger talked about.

"Found it!", it was slightly opened, so he entered without knowing about the territory. He closed it and inside the walls were plain sands with dummies and shooting targets. There were buildings, houses, and soldiers from afar doing their own stuff. But there was one thing that was enormously held by claws underneath to let it standstill, it was a normal wooden and metallic ship. The bottom part of the sip was made of metal while the rest were wooden. It had two masts, the short front, and the tall rear, with one sail on the front and five sails on the rear. There were no flags attached on the tip of the masts, but there was a long slanting plank that was on the ship where the people could go onboard coming from the ground.

When someone saw an unidentified person, Book, with no validation that he was allowed to enter. It alerted a superior with a sword, bringing two of his soldiers with guns. They ran towards at Book and stayed in front with distance. The superior shouted, "State your name and what are you doing here, kid?!"

Book ignored the question and looked around. He saw sands, dummies, tall walls, and buildings. He thought something similar from Drigmor kingdom and felt like home, so he shouted happily, "Is this the training grounds?!"

The soldiers with guns aimed properly at his head and the superior answered, "This is a military base, kid. This is where soldiers stay, we train and exercise here, we keep weapons here, away from anybody with no authorization, and we also keep criminals here in prison. You may be charged with trespassing or you want to get shot?"

Book thought of something amazing that his eyes were formed in stars, "Woah! That means that there are armors here I can wear!!"

"Armors?", the superior was confused.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, the one you can wear around your body!"

"... Bwahaha!"

Book tilted his head in confusion as to why he was laughing and he explained, "Nobody uses armor these days, kid. They're useless already because of guns exist already."

"Whaaaat?!", he was shocked and continued, "So no more armors?"

"Nope, not a single part. I mean look at us, we're not wearing any armor, just plain soldier's clothes."

Book was saddened from what he heard and he was proven with evidence that nobody wore armor because the soldiers were not wearing any of it. He looked down with a frown face and because of that, he forgot everything about Kairos, but after that, the superior was curious because Book wanted a suit of armor that nobody used anymore, "Hey kid, why do you want a suit of armor and where do you live?"

Book looked at him and answered, "I'm a knight already and I live in Drigmor kingdom. I'm supposed-"

The superior opened his eyes widely in shock and ran towards Book. He covered his mouth with his hand to shut his mouth off. He scolded him with a whisper, "Idiot! Never say that kingdom's name ever again! It's forbidden!"

Book was confused and talked inaudibly. The superior removed his hand, letting him talk, "But why?"

"With or without any reason, never ever say that name again! If you're from there, shouldn't you be taught not to talk about that kingdom outside?!"

"I was not taught about that."

The superior stood up properly and said, "If so, then I order you to never say where you live, the name of the kingdom, or anything about it! Got it?"

"So what should I do when someone asks me where I live?"

"Lie."

"Ehhh, would that be bad like dishonesty?"

"Bad actions with good and right motives are justified with a purpose that will avoid a much more dangerous problem..."

"I don't want or need to lie..."

"Well, the next time of whoever asks you the same question, just don't answer if you don't want to lie. Just keep it as a secret. Telling a secret would be bad, no?"

"Ahhhh... Okay, okay, okay!"

The superior looked at his soldiers and ordered them, "You can leave, guys. False alarm, I know this kid and he's allowed here."

And they left and he continued, but he mumbled, "So the fireworks were for the accolade of this kid. That explains why. There weren't any holidays yesterday, so he must be a real knight."

He now told Book, "I couldn't believe you're a knight and still was not taught about it."

"Are you from there?"

"No, but I had my accolade there with my friends."

"...", silence passed, and he continued, "Since you are a knight, might as well put you in good use."

"Heh?"

"Doing your first task as a knight, of course."

"Woooh, doing knight stuff?!"

"Yes."

He looked at one of the buildings and pointed it, "Go inside that building and find a staircase to the underground. There will be a man who will tell you what to do if you tell him your name with a "Knight" Got it?"

"Okay!", Book looked at the building and started to run at it. He was very excited to do his first task as a knight.

When he went to the underground of the building, he was walking on the ground that was formed as a staircase. The place was dark and surrounded by the torches. There were metal beams around the walls to avoid getting buried from above. In there, Book saw a receptionist on his desk in front of a wall. He walked forward and then asked, "Uhhh, I am Knight Book. I'm here for my first task."

The man looked at Book and then to his papers. There recognized his face somewhere else as his eyes widened immediately. He was confused and asked while squinting, "Wait a minute, you look very familiar..."

"Of course I do, I am him.", Book thought that the receptionist was thinking of him.

"No, no no!... Could you be..."

Then the eyes of the receptionist widen in shock again and froze, but immediately broke and opened his drawers and pulled a lot of wanted posters out from them. He was panicking and checked all of the wanted posters. And Book was curious and looked down where the receptionist was below the desk, "What are you doing?"

He then shouted, "Aha! Found it!"

He quickly stood up and moved his hand, holding a wanted poster, in front of Book's face, "Are you this boy?!"

Book didn't know what was going on and moved back to see the wanted post clearer. He squinted his eyes to see the face of the boy clearly. Then the receptionist shouted again, "Are you "The Last Drop of Blood of the Devil" in this poster?!"

The picture from the wanted poster was a young child, similar to Book's hairstyle, but shorter. His face was pictured foolishly as he crossed his eyes, retracted his head, and smiled funny with his tongue out. His hair color was black, and his face was close to the camera. And his face was covered with dirt. Behind the boy was an arm of another kid and at the edge of the picture was a blurry effect of another kid that was running.

The bounty of this kid reached to outstanding huge money of five billion Xeyen.

But Book laughed, "Ahahaha! This kid looks funny!"

"Oi, this is serious! This kid had gone missing for more than ten years! And he's one of the most dangerous criminals out there! He obliterated five kingdoms, leaving nothing at all. That's how his bounty reached to billions. I've heard that he destroyed the Gabaa Kingdom because someone stole his lollipop!"

"Nah, that's impossible. First of all, that's not my name, second, if that was me, the name would have been "Knight Book" Third, I don't have this dark spots around his face.", he pointed the spots on the kid's face.

The receptionist gave him a blank face, "That's just dirt, not part of his skin..."

"Hmmmmm...", Book started thinking more proofs that he was not the boy on the wanted poster.

"I think you aren't the kid, you may look the same from this kid, but you're a knight. A person couldn't become a knight if the person has criminal records. Maybe he was already captured a long time ago... Okay then, I will give your first task as a knight."

"Yehey!", Book felt happy and excited.

The receptionist checked his papers on the table and see if how many soldiers working on a specific task. He was actually checking if one of those tasks were in need of soldiers to make the job done faster. He placed the papers at the back after reading and when he found the paper, he told to Book, "Found one and it has no one doing it."

Book's eyes turned stars and went near to the receptionist as he laid his chest on the desk as a reaction from his excitement, "What is it?! Tell me, tell me!" The receptionist continued, "You can carry the weapons from the criminals in the back. Bring them to the incinerator and destroy them."

"Aye, aye!", Book breathed in a lot and raised his chest up like it's a knight job only that required carrying heavy items. And gave him a salute. He turned around, kept his posture and walked to the stairs. The receptionist called, "Hey, the weapons are at my left and walk through the hallway!"

He turned around again and walked in the same posture, "Aye, aye!"

After that, he walked outside the base with a big bag of weapons coming from the criminals. There were blades of swords that pierced through the bag and he held the bag with his hands and placed it behind his back. It was quite heavy so he held it with both of his hands. He then looked around the place, finding the incinerator. His eyes passed by it as he didn't know what it was and how it looked like.

"Not here... Maybe it's outside."

He walked towards the only doorway of the place and it was wide opened. When he was walking, he went inside the shadow of a huge ship and stared at it, "Woah, it's big... It's like Kairos' ship..."

After that, he walked outside the opened doorway of the base. Then he looked around again and saw a soldier holding the chains attached from a young man's shackles. The young man was tall, inches from Book's height, and had natural muscle build-up from his body. His hair color was red and his hair was short and spiky. The hairstyle was positioned as the tips of his spiky hair was pointing behind him like a gush of wind blew to his face. He had a medium skin complexion and his black eyes were dead, depressing, and lazy. He was wearing a black vest and under it was a white long sleeves shirt that the wrist part was folded up until to the end of the forearm. He was also wearing black pants and black shoes. Around his neck was a long red scarf that the two ends were behind his back.


The young man was running together with the soldier and when the soldier approached Book, he was panicking and told him, "Hey, you! Bring this criminal inside the prison. I've been called to join the capture of the Trickster."

"Sure, no problem. By the way, do you know where the incinerator is?"

"It's inside the base. Here, take this.", he gave the chains to Book and held in control of the young man in captive. He continued, "I need to go now and thanks!"

"Bye! And good luck!"

The soldier ran off where the Trickster was found and Book looked behind him and walked back inside, "So the incinerator is inside...", while dragging the bag with one hand while the other was holding the chain.

Then he was struggling while dragging the bag as it needed two hands to carry it easily, so he asked the criminal kindly, "Excuse me, can you follow me to your prison? I need both hands to carry this heavy bag."

"Sure...", he answered depressingly and in a little bit of deep voice.

Book carried the bag with two hands and checked the area again. His eyes saw it but ignored it. While checking, a lot of soldiers, from the inside, were coming outside to capture Trickster.

"It's not here at all!!", Book shouted in frustration.

And then Book looked at the ship, "Maybe it's up there."

After that, he decided to get on board the ship as he thought the incinerator was there. He walked up the plank with the prisoner following behind him. Then the prisoner talked in a lazy young man's voice that was normally deep, "Hey, would you believe that I have not done any crimes?"

"Naaah! If you're in chains, then you did something bad."

"...It's hopeless...", he gave up.

Both of them were on board and Book looked around, "Huh, it's almost similar to Kairos' ship... So that must be the same where I was with them.", he looked at the main cabin where Book spent with Kairos and his friends, knowing that it would be a combined living room and a kitchen. Then he saw the stairs towards the stern deck and walked up and saw another double door and it was wide open.

"It must be inside there."

They walked inside and vanished in the darkness as there were no lights or windows inside. When they were walking down in the dark staircase, they heard loud and weak footsteps on the main deck and on the stern deck.

On the grounds of the base, outside the walls, specifically, where Book had been, the Trickster was there. She opened the door, she made it by herself and entered. The base had little numbers of soldiers as most of them were outside finding her.

She ran towards the ship's plank, wearing a brown bag behind her back, "Idiot, soldiers... They always fall in my tricks."

She continued to run on the plank and a soldier came out from one of the bases and saw her. His eyes widen and shouted, "Oi! The Trickster will steal the SHIP!"

He went inside to tell the rest and immediately, more soldiers came out from the bases with weapons.

Someone shouted, "Don't let her take the ship! Dammit!!!"

They ran towards the plank with swords and guns.

She was not panicking or some sort, but she was calm. When she's on board, she immediately held the handles of the helm of the ship on the forecastle deck as she ran there. She pulled the handles and the ship started to move up towards the sky, leaving the claws.

One of the soldiers shouted, "Dammit! The bitch got away!"

"Sir, should we shoot at the ship?"

"Don't! Never shoot it! Debris will be falling under the civilians... She got us again.", the soldier was frustrated.

"So we will let go away? How about we fight her outside the kingdom?", the soldier was desperate to find a way to stop her.

"We will lose a lot of ships if we fight that kind of ship. That's a battleship.", he sighed of hopelessness in the end.

The soldiers couldn't do anything as the casualties were too high to fight against the ship. So they just watched her get away with the ship.

The ship started to enter the clouds, going towards the dying sun when the whole sky was bright red and orange.

Inside the castle, a call was just made. Xarthus was looking at a huge window, looking at the ship. There was a pigeon standing on the window and the bird started chirping as loud as it could like it was ringing. He reached to the microphone under the wing of the bird and pulled it out. He held a ball microphone and placed it near his mouth. Zarthus shouted in great worry, "Xarthuuuus! Eve is missing!!"

The bird was making facial expressions, exactly the same from it was hearing as it was mimicking the words and the emotions coming from the person talking.

He was crying as he was sniffing his running nose, "We couldn't find her in the kingdom and we searched for days everywhere here. Please help us! Is she there? We thought that she went on board on Kairos' ship. Our patrols said that someone ran out after the leave of Kairos and Book... The height was similar to hers."

He continued crying and sniffing. And Xarthus replied in a comforting voice, "Don't worry, brother. She's fine and healthy... She has decided already to move."

"...Really?", he sniffed one more time as he began to calm down.

Eyerine followed, "She's together with Book, Zarthus. So she'll be alright. She's safe."

"I know it...", she whispered without any doubts.

The ship went inside the clouds and disappeared from the eyes of who was watching the ship fly far away from the kingdom. And the day became normal as the sun died down from the tall mountains from afar. Then Zarthus ended before he hung up, "Thank goodness, we thought she went alone. I will tell everyone here about them. We will miss them. Thank you...", he was calmed down.

Somewhere far away from the kingdom of Grigmor, the infamous Red Kingdom was sailing in the vast thin clouds from the sky as the clouds were acting like the waters of the oceans. There, Kairos was standing still on the forecastle deck, beside the lady on the bow, watching the sun setting as the sky was bright red and orange. He was singing in a whisper with his deep soothing voice.

"Country roads, take me home... To the place, where I belong... West Virginia, mountain mama... Take me home... Country roads..."

Then his friend, the thin man, came near him and watched the sunset with him. He asked, "By the way, Kairos, I just got reminded that Book just turned a knight yesterday. Do you want to see him as a knight?"

Kairos smiled cool and replied, "I'm ready to see him anytime and anywhere, but I hope Book knows when to show up when he's become one..."

"..."

"A great knight who could stand with the same height as mine..."

0