Volume 2 Chapter 18 – Time for Shopping
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a couple of days in the kingdom of Eve, the morning reached its day and everyone was on the deck of the ship. The ship already left the land and was above the seas, traveling with the thin clouds in the sky. Mana was holding the handles of the helm as she was controlling the ship. Book was sitting on the taffrails of the main deck. He was fishing for any fish he could take from the waters. He was holding a wooden rod with a long string, down to the waters of the sea. Beside him was Eve, who was looking down at the ship, anticipating to get another fish from the hook because behind Book was a basket that had only one fish for lunch, dinner, and more meals later. They ran out of their last food supplies after having breakfast and they had to fish, and hope to catch a lot for their stomach. Behind Eve was Sparrow who was looking at the skies as his mind went outside the world.

While fishing, Book felt a tug from his rod and he was happy and excited, "Ah! Here's another one! Let's get this to our ship!"

"Go Book!", Eve cheered.

Book pulled the rod to his might and there,  a fish came out from the water, with its mouth hooked. He shouted, "Come on! Reach here!!!"

Then the seagulls below the ship were flying around doing with their own business. The two birds were flying together in the same direction with the ship and suddenly looked down as there was a fish coming towards their way. The one bird chirped a lot of times and in translation, "Hey, Bob, another fish is coming?"

"Oh yeah, it's coming at us.", the other bird chirped in response. Then one of them took the fish and swallowed it whole. It chirped happily, "That was an easy free meal."

"Ehh, but I wanted it..."

"Too bad, it was coming directly in my way.", and then the bird laughed as it was chirping loud. 

But from on the main deck of the ship, Book got impatient and irritated from the birds, "YOU PESKY BIRDS! THIS IS THE TENTH TIME! DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT WAS TO WAIT FOR HOURS FOR A FISH UNDER THE HEAT OF THE SUN?!"

Book tried to fight the birds as he jumped out from the taffrails, but Sparrow held his shirt so he wouldn't fall down. Book still continued raging, "COME ON! LET'S SETTLE THIS WITH FISTS AND SEE IF YOU CAN STEAL THIS!"

One of the birds heard the shouts of Book and looked up. It chirped, "Hey, look at that stupid human kid."

"Hahaha! Most humans are stupid, but I like those who aren't. And shouting will just make it hard to understand and aggravate the situation. Let's get out of here or he's going scare away the free fish, we just had.", the other chirped in response.

The birds flew away faster and headed straight for an island. There, Mana shouted happily, "Hey, guys! There's an island upfront. We can take a break there!"

"Really?!", Book and Eve shouted together and ran to the forecastle to look at the island. While Sparrow took the basket of a fish and walked into the main cabin. Eve shouted, "I can see it!"

"Yeah! It's over there!", Book followed. 

Mana responded from the sighted island, "Let's hope there's a place to buy there. We can buy food and other necessities for ourselves."

"Forward! Ahahaha! Hahaha!", Eve stood in the middle of the deck, facing towards the island, and shouted and laughed as she was excited. 

Then Mana walked out helm and proceeded to the stairs of the main deck, and that questioned Book, "Eh? You're leaving the wheel?"

She stopped and answered, "Well, yeah. I can leave the helm as it's stiff so, we don't have to worry about the helm moving by itself and the ship turning immediately."

"Oh...", Book learned.

She continued and walked down the stairs to the main deck. On that deck, there was a table and a chair. On the table, there were a lot of things scattered around: screws, wires, metals, and more. She sat down on the chair and started doing her own business with them. 

Eve was still in her place, looking at the island, and Sparrow walked towards her. The only one who had nothing to do was Book and he was observing Mana from the forecastle deck. When Mana was checking the black wire with rubber gloves, Book sneaked and slowly moved up his head from the edge of the table, stared at her and the wire, and asked, "What's that thing?"

"Oh, this? I newly made this. It's an electrical wire that will electrocute anybody who touches it."

"Heeh?", Book was curious and held it with his thumb and index finger. And suddenly, an explosion was made. They were surrounded by a cloud of smoke. Eve heard the explosion, ran to look at it, and shouted in worry, "Ay! Are you alright?!"

When the smoke was carried by the winds, Mana and Book were covered by a dark substance, in front of their faces, from the smoke. Both of them were shocked by the sudden explosion that they froze, but Mana explained, "...It must've malfunctioned when you touched it..."

"Ehack!", Book coughed once and replied to Eve's question as he shouted, "Yeah! We're alright!"

"..."

On the island where the Eve Kingdom would soon arrive, there was a huge, normal town surrounded by a thick green forest. The town was on a piece of land that was separated from the rest of the land as there was a deep gap between them. The town placed wooden fences around the area to avoid falling into the deep gap. Also, there was one long metallic bridge attached to the mainland from the land of the town. Within the place, it looked like a peaceful, common town. There weren't many rich people in the area and the buildings were mostly for the lower and middle class.

Outside the town, within the dark, shady forest, there was a knight, from the Crusader, hiding beside a tree. He was hidden in the darkness and avoiding any appearance of himself, and he stood perfectly still as he already got the information. He was holding a ball microphone near to his lips and had a bird on his shoulder. He whispered quietly, "Sir, I have visuals of them. They're coming..."

"Let them come and we will trap them inside...", a man responded.

"Roger..."

Were they waiting for the crew members of the Eve Kingdom and capture the criminal or all of them?

"..."

Back to the Eve Kingdom, Eve notified happily, "Mana! We're above the island already and I can see buildings!"

Book ran off to the taffrails on the main deck and saw the buildings, surrounded by the forest, "Oh, yeah! I can see them too!"

Mana walked to the forecastle deck and saw what they saw. She replied, "Alright, but we need to land the ship secretly and safely. We must find a good spot to land."

Eve shouted as she saw one, "How about that one!", she pointed and continued, "There's an area where there are just grasses and surrounded by trees!"

Mana looked where Eve pointed and appreciated her, "Nice job, Eve. We can land the ship there. It's not far from the place." Then she called, "Book! Could you control the helm of the ship? I need to perfectly time when will the ship descend diagonally to land."

"Okay!", he answered and ran to the helm. He held the handles with his hands and waited for Mana's words. She went near the taffrails and looked at the spot. 

She then waited for the perfect timing as she was focusing at the spot, they would land as the ship was getting near. After that, she found perfect timing and told Book, "Okay, push the-"

"Okay! Push!"

Book immediately and strongly pushed the helm when he heard "push" and that froze the body of Mana. She whispered in shock, "Eh?!"

Book wondered, "Huh, I thought it's stiff..."

The ship suddenly fell at high speed from the earth's gravity as it stopped flying in the sky. 

"YOU IDIOOOOOOOOOT!!!", Mana screamed with her lungs out while the ship was falling down.

It looked like the source, that made the ship fly, was turned off when Book pushed the steering wheel.

Then a loud bang was made when the ship landed on the ground, destroying the trees and whatever was below the ship. The bang panicked the animals around, leaving birds flying away from the trees. The metallic bottom of the ship left no damages as it was too durable.

On the forecastle deck, Book was facing flat on the deck, Mana was holding tightly to her dear life on the taffrails with fear on her face, and Eve was jumping up and down happily as she enjoyed it, shouting, "Let's do that again! Hahahaha!"

Book lifted his head slowly and whispered, "Eh? What happened?" Then he stood up with dizziness, "The ship just fell down. I think the ship is broken."

Mana ran towards Book and punched his head that his face splatted on the deck again, leaving a bump on the head. She scolded him, "YOUR HEAD IS BROKEN! You're supposed to push it slowly! You didn't let me finish what I said, idiot! We could have died!"

"...", Book stayed silent and she ran towards Eve.

"Are you alright, Eve? Are you hurt? Are you feeling any pain?", Mana was concerned about her as she looked around the body of Eve. Eve replied, "I'm alright! Also, whose legs are those?", and she pointed at them.

"SPARROW!!!", Mana shouted in fear that he might have died when she saw a pair of legs.

Sparrow, unfortunately, fell from the ship while it was falling down and he landed in the small bush as his legs were out, popping from the leaves. The bush was short that it would take twice or thrice to reach the height of Sparrow, meaning his body compressed upon impact to the solid ground.

"..."

After that moment, everything went back to normal, as everyone was on the main deck, except for someone unfortunate. Book was sitting on the floor, looking down with a frown face for his mistake. Mana was wrapping bandages around Sparrow's forehead to seal the wounds as he was sitting down on a chair, shirtless. And Eve was just observing Mana, applying medical actions to an injured person. When Mana finished treating Sparrow with bandages around his torso and forehead, she walked back and told him with worry, "Sparrow, can walk forward?"

Sparrow stood up slowly and started limping forward.

"...", it was painful to look at Sparrow limping.

Mana looked at Book and scolded him more, "Look at the result of what you've done! Sparrow cannot walk properly anymore! This might be permanent!"

Book refused to look at her and Sparrow because of the guilt, he was feeling. He sadly whispered, "I'm sorry..."

Eve told to Sparrow, "Wah! You're walking funny!"

The face of Sparrow had been the same, showing a lazy, depressing look. He didn't react to his injuries or he didn't want to react to anything. Then he fell down on the floor, facing it when he lost balance. Mana got worried, "Sparrow!"

He whispered emotionlessly, "Everything hurts..."

She ran to the main deck quickly, went into the main cabin, and left with a bag of ice. She placed the bag on top of his back where the spine was. 

"I hope this might ease the pain... And heals on its own..."

"..."

After a couple of hours passed by, Book and Sparrow were still in the same position since the beginning, but the bag of ice had already melted. For Eve and Mana, Eve went near to Mana while her stomach was grumbling because she started becoming hungry. She told her with a sad face, "Mana... I'm hungry..."

Mana sighed and replied, "I think it's better for us to separate... Alright, let's do shopping in the town and buy a lot of things."

Eve was happy to hear that and shouted, "Yehey!", then ran off to the captain's room to get something. When Eve was still running towards the room, Mana asked as she shouted, "Eve! Could you get the bag of money under the bed?!"

"Okay!"

Then Mana called the boys, "Book! Take care of Sparrow. We will eat our lunch there first and buy the necessities for Eve and me..." Then she questioned Book to make sure, "You know how to buy, right?"

"Yeah...", Book replied depressedly and Eve arrived near Mana with a bag of money and the teddy bear on her hand.

"Good, I will leave you two hundred fifty-thousand Xeyen for your lunch and for buying your necessities."

He looked at her and asked, "Necessities?..."

"Yeah, buy what you, boys need in daily lives, and we will buy ours."

"Okay..."

Mana gave another bag of money for Book and Sparrow and placed it in front of Book. She started walking the staircase to the land from the ship, "Take care of Sparrow while we're out! If he can walk properly, then you can go to the town!"

Mana left the ship while holding the hands of Eve in her care. And Eve was excited to go. Both of them went inside the darkness under the shady trees.

"..."

On the main deck, Book finally looked at Sparrow lying down on the floor and started walking with his knees on the deck. When he arrived near him, he poked him and whispered, "Sparrow, I'm sorry... Are you alright now? Can you stand up? Can you still walk properly? Can you talk?..."

Then Sparrow's stomach grumbled, so he slowly stood up straight and replied to his questions, "Yeah, I think I'm alright... I can still walk, but I need assistance..."

Book was happy from what he was seeing and hearing, "Sparrow!"

He stood up and went near beside him. Both of them placed each other's arm behind their neck, so Sparrow could walk. And Book was being careful all the time when he was handling Sparrow. From this, Book smiled and shouted, "Woooh! With this, we can go to the town and eat lunch!"

"Yeah..."

"Let's go!!!"

The boys walked slowly and left the ship with the bag of money as Book was holding it. They vanished from the darkness when they entered the shady forest.

"..."

In the town, Eve and Mana were at the entrance of the place after they walked from the bridge. People were walking around, doing their own business, getting in and out of the buildings and houses. 

Both of them started walking on the main road and Eve was looking left and right, excited as she saw a lot of new things and where to stay and eat. While Mana was also checking left and right, she asked Eve, "Where do you want to eat, Eve? We can eat anywhere you want."

"Woooooh!", her eyes sparkled that with her own decision, they could go anywhere she wanted, and continued, "Then let's go there! There!" She pointed out where it was and Mana replied, "Sure, let's go there."

Both of them had their own lunches in a good tavern.

Hours later, for Book and Sparrow, they just arrived at the entrance of the town and looked anywhere. They were walking at a slow pace because of Sparrow's injuries. 

Book became a lot caring since Sparrow got injured that he would do anything for him. 

"Sparrow, where do you want to eat?"

"I can eat in any place, so decide where you want...", he couldn't care less where as long as there's food. 

"Really?! Then... Let's go there!", Book pointed at a tavern where there was a big sign saying, "MEAT"

When Book and Sparrow entered the decided tavern, Eve and Mana left out from the tavern. The two taverns were in the exact location, but both of them were on the opposite side of the main road. 

"You really ate a lot, Eve."

"Yeah, yeah, I was so hungry and the foods were nice and delicious... Where to next, Mana?"

"Well, let's go buy clothes first. We need clothes to counter the cold and hot temperatures when we're flying. I think I've seen a store here that sells one."

"Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

Mana chuckled, "Hehe, alright, alright."

Both of them continued their shopping and went to a clothing store to buy feminine clothes for each one of them while Book and Sparrow were eating. 

"..."

Outside the town, but inside the forest, a group of dangerous men came out from it. They were carrying swords and other sharp, pointy weapons. They were swarming in front of the bridge as they were walking towards it. It seemed they would do something bad to the town, and the crew members of the Eve Kingdom were there. 

While the numbers were still increasing as more were coming out of the forest, the knight who called someone, spoke behind a tree, far away from the group of thugs. He talked to the same person with the microphone again, "Sir, they're coming out and going to the bridge... The Round House Gangs... And their boss."

In front of those men, a short man with a circular physique was walking, the leader of those men. He was wearing an expensive black robe, pants, and shoes. He was wearing a black top hat and using a tobacco pipe. With a bounty of three million Xeyen and had the reputation of hiring dangerous criminals and bringing them one together. His use of money and the use of his men made him a dangerous boss. 

"..."

Back in the peaceful town, Book and Sparrow were outside the tavern with each other's arm behind their necks as they had just finished eating their lunch. Before they would buy their necessities, Book thought of something caring and told Sparrow, "Hey, Sparrow, since you let me decide for our lunch, I'll let you decide for our necessities. I hope it will make you forgive me from what I did to you."

"It wasn't your fault, Book, so forget it. The injuries didn't matter to me at all... Everyone gets hurt, knowingly and unknowingly... But how about your needs?"

Book smiled when Sparrow said those words, and he replied, "My only need, right now, is to make you feel happy from the things you will buy. And hope it will make you recover quicker."

"If you insist..."

Sparrow casually looked at a tavern with a huge sign saying, "ALCOHOL"

"..."

After some time, Eve and Mana bought a lot of things because Eve was carrying two small bags from both of her hands while Mana was carrying bulky bags as it was filled completely with their necessities, clothes, foods, medicines, and more. It was quite heavy, but it was okay for her, and the teddy bear was inside one of the bags, Eve was carrying, as its upper body was shown. While they're walking towards the bridge to go back to the ship because they're done with all that they had planned to be on the town, they saw Book and Sparrow, coming out from the "ALCOHOL" tavern. Mana froze in surprise from what she's looking at and Eve continued walking forward then suddenly, she stopped because she felt Mana was not beside her. She looked at her with curiosity and asked, "What's wrong Mana?"

"...", she stayed silent, and Eve looked around her face and proceeded to look at where Mana was staring at, so she moved her head and saw them. 

There, out from the "ALCOHOL" tavern, Book and Sparrow were walking away with a wooden cart, full of barrels.  Sparrow was on top, sitting on top of the barrels to give him time to rest from walking because of his injuries. Book was looking at the happy middle-aged man, outside his tavern, and waved his hand at him as a goodbye. But the man kept bowing as a huge thanks for him. And Mana was infused with anger and rage. 

After that, Book continued looking at the happy man, he just made, and the owner went inside the store and shouted, "Honey! Two nice guys just bought everything that we sell and they gave us two hundred thousand Xeyen while keeping the change! We can upgrade our store to a three-story building, buy a lot of things for us, and we can have our own house on the third floor!"

The wife replied with happiness, "That's great, dear.", and a little boy asked shyly, "Can we buy toys, papa?"

The father replied while crying, "Yes... Yes...  We can buy want you always wanted."

Book smiled widely from the people, he just heard inside the store. He just made a poor family happy with the use of money. He then whispered about them, "Hah... I wish they'll be happier now and forever."

After that, Book bumped into Mana without looking in front and Sparrow did not inform Book about it. When Book looked at Mana, he greeted casually, "Oh, hey, how are you doing?"

Mana was fuming in front of Book. It felt she became bigger and taller, showing dominance over the weak and naive. What Book was looking was the shadowed body of Mana and her eyes were red from the fire's hell. She's really expressing great anger from what she heard and what she saw. Then she asked with her deep voice, "Book... How much do those barrels cost?..."

"...Hmmmm, ninety thousand Xeyen.", he answered without knowing the situation and the strong emotions Mana was releasing. 

"...And how much did you pay?..."

"Hmmmmm...", this question struck Book as he couldn't tell how much money they had left when they were buying.

So he asked for help, "Hey, Sparrow. How much did we give to the owner for the barrels? It was somewhere two hundred-"

"All of it...", he answered immediately.

Mana erupted and smokes were coming out from her mouth. She scolded them with her devilish voice, "You... Fucking... Idiots... You spent all of that money on those barrels of alcohol."

"Hey, it made Sparrow happy because he got what he wanted and the family is happy, too, because of the money, we gave."

Sparrow smiled sincerely because he was indeed happy what they got. It was genuine happiness coming from him. 

But the atmosphere, Mana was releasing, was continuing to grow because she was not contented from Book's words and their actions. But then Eve pulled the bag, Mana was carrying. She felt the pulling and looked at her with kindness and calm. Eve was looking uncomfortable from the bags she's carrying because it was hurting her palms as it was getting heavier. She was standing for too long while carrying those bags. Eve said, trying to convince her,  "Mana, let's go... My hands are hurting..."

That's the moment Mana stopped getting angry and thought more even better ideas on what to do to the boys. She felt bad, smiled at Eve, and answered, "You can put them down, Eve. They'll handle the bags."

"Okay!", she placed the bags down and took her teddy bear out. 

Then Mana threw the bulky bags, she was carrying, at Sparrow. He fell from the tower of barrels and landed on the pavement as the bags were on top of him.

Mana scolded them, "Listen here, you will soon regret the money you used and gave. If you come crying for money, I will not give you a single coin! You deserve to learn the hardest way and life will do that!"

She looked at Eve with a kind face and said, "You can sit down on top, Eve. You deserve to take a break there."

"The top...", she whispered and looked at the topmost barrel, she would soon sit down, with glittering eyes of excitement.

Then she shouted, "The top!!!"

She ran and climbed the barrels, and sat on the top. She liked to be in high places like a king would be and continued, "Forward! Ahahahaha!"

"..."

After some time, all of the Round House gangs and the boss already reached in the middle of the bridge, occupying the entrance of the bridge up to the middle as the boss was walking in front of his men. And the crew members of the Eve kingdom were already leaving the town as they were walking on the other side of the bridge. Book was pulling the cart, Sparrow was sitting on the end of the edge of the cart, holding the bulky bags, Mana was walking beside Book while holding the bags, Eve was carrying. And then Eve saw a lot of men in front of them. They were literally blocking the whole path of the bridge. Eve asked unsurely, "Is there something blocking our path?"

"Aren't those trees?", Book answered as he squinted his eyes. 

Mana answered, "They're people, Book... This town must be famous for travelers. Well, they'll just give us a way like any normal person would do."

"Oh... I see.", Book ended. 

But as two different groups were walking towards each other to go to the other side of the land. Suddenly, on the corners of the buildings of the town, near the bridge, came the appearance of knights from the Crusader with loaded guns. They were hidden from plain sight, but it seemed they were preparing to do something.

"..."

Outside the town, behind the trees,  came out more knights from the Crusader with guns, hidden from the eyes of anybody. 

But one of the Crusaders, inside the town, was wearing the outfit that had a higher ranking than a knight. 

All of the Crusaders were looking at the bridge, waiting for the perfect moment to show up, but they were in trouble as there were two males and two females approaching the gangs. 

One of the knights came near to the man in a hurry and whispered, "Knight Lieutenant Doma, there are citizens walking towards our targeted enemies."

Doma got irritated and replied in a whisper, "Tsk, didn't we tell all of the townspeople not to cross the bridge?"

"Unfortunately, sir, they're not part of the townspeople. They're travelers."

"Go, identify those people first. We will start the raid after we know their names."

Would there be a confrontation among these three different groups? If so, who would fight and who would not?

0