Bob Iger
336 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harris selected a list of people who were to serve as the CEO of Rover Net and brought the list to Sunny. These people were current vice presidents or presidents in their company and were involved in the communication sector.

Sunny checked that list carefully and finally zeroed on one big name - Bob Iger.

Bob Iger is currently the president of the ABC Network Television Group and he is a major player when it comes to management and communications. Sunny sent an invitation to Bob Iger personally and met him the next day at the Rover Net office.

--------------------------------

"This way Sir," Harris welcomed Bob to their internet office. For Bob who had seen different kinds of offices in his life, Rover Net was definitely a surprise.

Their were group of boys who were walking and working in shorts and floral shirts. Some were playing darts or some were playing loud music. There was no office! It was an entire floor filled with what he can call 'frat boys'.

"Is this the current office culture in Rover Net?" Bob asked Harris in a low voice.

Harris immedeatly knew Bob's concerns but this was something Sunny himself promoted in their office and Harris had no other reply than a polite smile.

Bob walked inside Sunny's office and found Sunny preparing coffee for them.

"Welcome Mr. Bob. I hope the flight was comfortable," Sunny shook hands with Bob and harris took over the coffee.

"Well...it was long for one thing... but yeah overall..no complaints," Bob replied while taking the coffee from Harris.

Harris left the meeting room to the two bosses and the floor was open for Sunny and Bob.

"Bob, I have read your profile. You single-handedly turned a loss making company like ABC entertainment into a money printing machine. Most of their famous shows come from your careful planning and selection.

Tell me, what do you think is the future of entertainment and communications?" Sunny questioned Bob and Bob knew Sunny was testing him.

For Bob, who had spent early years of his career in entertainment sector, the answer was already prepared.

"I believe computers will be the next devices that will replace the home entertainment sector and occupy a large space in future," Bob replied honestly.

"Correct. But somehow missing. You believe computers are the key but computers are just like TV. They are empty devices. For TVs, one can switch on their small digital satellite and receive the best channels and programs.

But what is the source of these channels and information for computers?"

Sunny asked the key question silencing Bob. Bob always imagined that companies like AOL and CompuServe that are supplying modems and internet cables will one day supply all these channels from broadcasting companies but now, listening to Sunny he was not that sure.

"I will give you the answer. It's Internet. Internet is the soul of computers that is missing. Imagine you are sitting in Japan or Korea, and you want to watch latest american news or america tv show, you only need to connect to internet.

In future, there will companies who will be delivering these facilities and currently, Rover Net is the key player.

This is my future planning for Rover Net. I want to turn this company into internet communication and entertainment giant. Have a look and let me know if you think you can meet these goals," Sunny while speaking picked a file and handed over to Rob.

Rob was confused over the picture painted by Sunny and opened the file. He checked the goals that were briefly mentioned and found himself agreeing to many key points. From the browser to the portals and from portals to the home entertainment.

It was a straight pipeline. It covered news, latest gossip, games and much more.

"I don't think this is possible in current Internet situation Sunny. We both know hardly few american homes have access to internet." Bob closing the file spoke.

"Yes, true. But ever since the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 was signed two years back, government is ready to open the internet to private companies.

In less than two years, we have more than 5 browsers in market and our Rocket is the leading one.

Codex is also the first portal but I can assure you, by next year there will be strong competitors in the market. So, what is written there, is not some fantasy or something I dreamed. But this will happen in next ten years." Sunny clarified his ideas and his position on Internet.

Bob began thinking carefully on Sunny's words. He understood the key point. This is a new market and it is open for private players. And when private players jump in any new market, there is always huge growth and capital transactions. This is basically a new gold mine waiting to be discovered.

"Understood Sunny. However, you also know I have no idea about Internet. Why do you want to hire me?" Bob questioned and Sunn couldn't control his laughter.

"Of course I know. But who knows Internet? No one. Maybe even the scientists working on this tech have no idea what role it has in the society. What I know is that you are excellent manager and I need you to focus on running this company.

I will act as CTO and sort out the goals and technology part. But overall, I want you to be the CEO.

I know you were just named as the president of the ABC group but you have no shares and your salary is less than 400k. I will double you salary and when this company goes public, I will provide you 5% of shares as compensation.

Even if you don't understand the company or the role here, I hope you can work for the money." Sunny threw big money to Bob and Bob found himself unable to refute Sunny.

He had worked so hard and under pressure in last 40 years of his life and his salary is barely able to reach 400k but Sunny is ready to double it in minutes.

"Can I think about it?" Bob wanted to discuss this with his wife and family before making this decision.

"Sure. But I hope I can get your answer within a week. I need someone to lead this company and I can't wait for long," Sunny agreed and Bob left Rover Net with turbulent waves in his heart.

However, Sunny didn't had to wait long as Bob agreed to the offer by evening the same day. Well, Bob directly called his wife who simply called him a fool for not agreeing to the offer and Bob himself thought 'Fuck it. Work for money. At least Sunny is the one handling technical part!"

Bob signed the employment contract and took over Rover Net which was a news in itself and Sunny finally found himself free from major duties.

"Bob, for next two years, I have only few goals for you. First, find me journalists and students who can write articles, blogs or other news and bring them here. This is basically for our Codex.

Second, contact all Ivy League colleges and hire more coders and technical experts. We need new tech support for future projects.

Third, contact major PR and advertising companies and find some senior copywriters, designers and content writers. I am planning to turn our company profitable and without advertising department, it won't possible."

Sunny handed Bob few goals for him and left Bob alone in his new cabin.

Bob didn't come alone from ABC but brought few of his friends and colleagues too. Sunny was ready to pay high salary and Bob needed the people he knew to turn this empty shell into a working machine.

Also, he plans to divorce his wife now. That bitch always called him a fool and Willow Bay, the new editor he met in ABC was not only a former model but someone who understood his work.

So, before his first paycheck, Bob was ready for divorce and start a new life in a new company with a new women.

6