Oscars for Jessica
331 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are we overreacting?” Kenney asked.

“Nope. Not one bit. If we are anywhere around that movie, we will lose everything. Audience, publicity and even screens. So, avoid any chance of clash and create a safe distance between us.

When are they trying to release the movie?” Sunny spoke.

“Of course, in Summer time.” Kenny replied

“Hmm… than it means near May-June. We can only push it in July. Even if we rush, we need time for promotion and advertising.

Can you check which movies are ready for July or August. We will fix our schedule accordingly.” Sunny finally decided on Need for Speed in this manner.

After all, he will be the biggest fool if he thinks he can fight a visual masterpiece like Jurassic Park with a movie like need for speed.

“Will do that. Also, you need to sign some documents. Spend a week here in LA before rushing back.” Kenny spoke to Sunny before both nodded to each other and agreed on the key points.

Soon, the ceremony started. The lights dimmed and most of the people had taken their seats.

Sunny moved his eyes around to check the other people around him and he immediately noticed Sharon Stone, the star of Basic Instinct who is now the most popular sex symbol in America sitting two rows ahead of him.

She is somehow dressed like the late Monroe or styled after her. Near her, two-time Oscar winner and one of the most famous iconic women in last few years in Hollywood, Jodie Foster and the young but handsome Al Pacino.

Sunny had never seen the beard and long haired Al Pacino in any photos in his life, so this face was quite unfamiliar but familiar to him.

“Beard doesn’t suit him!” Sunny whispered but Kenny heard that.

“Who?”

“Al Pacino.” Sunny replied

“Yeah. But do you think anyone cares. He is the Godfather for now and for years, he will be one.” Kenneth replied.

Sunny nodded and agreed.

The stage was suddenly lit, and Sunny saw an old man dragging a huge statue of Oscar on the stage. It was funny and quite stupid opening, but it was good in grabbing all the attention from everyone around.

Then there he was, Billy Crystal, using a whip and sitting on the other end of statue like he is the master, and the old man is a slave.

The minute Halle saw that whip, she moved her head sideways to look at Sunny who gave her an evil smile. The meaning was something only these two could understand.

Billy Crystal is really a comedic genius and in just few lines he managed to make some people laugh and some embarrass. This was really funny, but Sunny was little lost because he had lost touch with Hollywood in last few months and some of the jokes were going above his head.

Still, he kept his smile and laughed when Kenny laughed and smiled listening to the rest of the jokes. Maintaining a fake face is not difficult when you are not that famous, and the cameras don’t care about you.

However when Billy said “the theme of this year is women in film” Sunny could not stop his laughter and Billy went on saying “and ironically 1992 has been a very poor for women’s parts and some of the most talked about are Sharon stone in Basic Instinct”….well Sunny lost his control and demeanor.

Sunny had to move his head down to control his laughing but still his little laugh even provoked the calm and controlled Kenny who laughed a little before kicking Sunny to make him control himself.

Billy also mentioned Pokémon in his opening monologue along with Blue Sky that gave Rover Pictures a lot of face among the big studios. After all, its hard to ignore Pokémon considering the money it earned and still earning on the smaller screen.

Comparing it with Aladdin was also enough for Sunny to brag about and Sunny suddenly thought why he missed PR promotion for Pokémon! Maybe he could have gotten another Oscar for this!

Shit!

“We didn’t push Pokémon for Animated Movie this year?” Sunny questioned Kenny.

“They don’t have animated movie category. How much have you snorted back there?” Kenneth asked back looking Sunny like a druggie.

Sunny had to squeeze a smile. Oh Boy! He really needed to get in depth of the industry and this touch-and-go approach was seriously not working.

Billy Crystal on the stage bought the PR gift props he received during campaign and picked a horse head prop from the wooden trunk on stage. It was really hilarious.

Sunny was enjoying the show and then the awards section started. Presenters came and started giving awards. Sunny had no idea about these categories and awards, but he still focused and found Kenneth suddenly clinching his fists.

“What?”

“Blue Sky is nominated for this.” Kenneth whispered back.

Even though the presenter just introduced both Blue Sky and Unforgivable, Sunny never thought Blue Sky can beat Unforgivable. An American cowboy movie produced and starring Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven was already an academy favourite.

Unsurprisingly, they lost and Unforgiven won the award for best editing. For Sunny getting the lead actress award was the most important thing. Rest was not his goal.

The movie like Blue Sky can only turn profitable if the lead actress suddenly becomes Oscar winner otherwise, his studio might end up making petty profits. Something, Sunny hates.

When Richard Gere came on stage, the camera suddenly jumped on Sunny and Kenneth’s face. This was just a few seconds look but the cameraman caught the relaxed and happy expression of Sunny while Kenny looked a lot nervous.

Unknown to Camera guy, Sunny forgot that his movie is also nominated for Art Direction and hence, there was no pressure on him.

But suddenly Sunny started shaking his head because on stage, in front of a billion people watching this live show, Richard Gere just spoke – “With the knowledge of what a horrendous, horrendous human rights situation there is in China, [and Tibet] I wonder if we could all send love and truth and sanity to Deng Xiaoping right now in Beijing, if maybe he will take his troops, take them away from Tibet and allow these people to live as free, independent people again.”

Richard Gere just spoke about China and Tibet conflict and simply supported Tibet Independence in the front of the whole world. He might not knew but Sunny knew this is going to cost his career and this famous star is going to face a very difficult situation ahead.

Chinese people are under huge government control and are constantly monitored, tracked, brainwashed, and fed propaganda about the horrible conditions of western countries and how terrible ‘Capitalism’ is for a country.

Truth is, every Chinese hate Capitalism but wants to be super rich.

Sunny felt empathetic about Richard, but he is not big enough to influence USA-Chinese relations, but he is going to make sure, Chinese didn’t control the Asian economy like they did in his last life.

Sadly, Richard who felt like a champion of peace and freedom is never going to find another super hit movie again considering how Hollywood is scared of offending Chinese and pushing the Chinese market away in future.

If this was not enough to catch Sunny’s attention, then the nominations were enough to shock him.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is also nominated for this award as well as their own Blue Sky. Sunny tried to see the glimpse of Sofia somewhere around him, but he didn’t find any trace of her.

On the stage, Richard Gere read the nominations and then spoke the winner’s name – ‘Gary Constable – Art Director’ and ‘Leslie E. Rollins’ Blue Sky.

Matthew was very happy and wanted to cheer but Sunny was still calm. Anyway, this award is not a big thing for him. Also, considering Sofia might be watching this on some TV, he couldn’t show too much happiness on his face.

These two, very simply looking but nicely dressed people wearing beautifully coloured but strange type suits received their awards amid a strong clapping and delivered their short speech.

After this, there was no other surprise until the end of award function when the nominations for the actress in the lead role nomination came out.

Sunny was tense. Jessica Lange was smiling politely but her fist was tightly clenched and even Halle was little affected by her emotions.

The entire team of Blue Sky was waiting for the big reveal. The fight was basically between Jessica Lange and Emma Thompson. Both were undoubtedly talented and old and for academy, this was the perfect time they chose to award these actresses.

So even Sunny was confused and anxious at this stage. Billy Crystal invited the announcer Sir Anthony Hopkins with the classic Hannibal lector joke and the tune.

Sir Anthony Lector didn’t take much time and after a quick introduction he spoke the magical words “The Oscar goes to Jessica Lange, Blue Sky”.

Jessica Lange was shocked (or at least acted like that) while others were clapping with full energy, and she got up and gave a light peck to Kenneth before hugging Halle and Sunny and going on the stage to receive the award.

7