Corporate Rebranding
313 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After spending almost a week in LA with Halle and finishing the work in his Rover Pictures company, Sunny flew back to Silicon Valley. Now, he has to finish some major work before flying to Japan.

"Welcome back Sunny. How were the Oscars?" Robert 'Bob' Iger asked after Sunny got inside his cabin.

"Boring and Successful. We actually managed to win two statues from there. Surprisingly. How are the talks with CompuServe, Prodigy and AOL?" Sunny asked while Harris who was standing silently behind opened the file and checked records.

"All three agencies have agreed to provide digital subscription services for our new venture. However, they want a commission from each subscription." Harris replied.

"Great. Where is Vint Cerf?" Sunny asked curiously.

"He has a meeting with some of the professors at Stanford this week. Basically, he is gone there to bring more coders for some of his ideas." Bob replied.

Sunny nodded and felt his luck was really bad in missing the chance to meet Vint again.

"Sunny, do you really want to break "CODEX'"? Bob asked breaking the silence.

"Yes. It's important that we keep our business units separate. The teams must know what they need to focus on. Right now, the search engine team is working with the portal team but they are constantly exchanging or jumping their work.

That's not a good thing in the long run. We need dedicated developers for each and with time, their experience will become very valuable. So, for now, codex needs to be divided. Codex Search Engine will be rebranded and the Codex portal needs to become a separate entity. Besides the browser needs to be updated.

When is the WWW conference that Tim talked about?" Sunny asked.

"Next year. May 25, 1994. It will be on the CERN site in Geneva." Harris quickly replied.

"See. Only one year. This one year is too critical for us. We will be presenting our business in front of the whole Internet community. We are the first to develop a GUI-based browser and search engine and we must be the first to create a portal." Sunny replied and started thinking about the future layout plan.

"So, what shall we name this new venture?" Bob asked.

"I have no idea. I am really silly with names. I have rebranded my companies multiple times now, so it's better to pick a name from the dictionary that we can all agree on." Sunny spoke and laughed.

Yes, this was another headache for Sunny. He had rebranded his movie production house once and thankfully his own name was good enough for the new one. However, the internet company is different and Rocket browser was not really catching the market. Besides, it sounded funny because of the Team Rocket villains in Pokemon.

Even though he can choose the names like Google and Yahoo but he was internally against the idea. This was his new life and he must create his own legend. So he wanted unique names for his companies.

"I think we should have an old European name from some mythic for all the companies to invite early investors." Bob thought and spoke his ideas.

"Nope. New ideas and new names for a new generation and new market. So think cool and funky." Sunny responded before taking a marker out and standing in front of the whiteboard in his office.

"Let's start from the letter Z. Any entries?"

Sunny, Bob and Harris started this rebranding exercise and then sent out the names they chose to every employee for their votes. They wanted to know the response before going public with the names.

In the end, one word came on top - Bleep. It's one of the sounds that computers generally make when crash and most developers easily associate with it. Knowing that in the future computers will still be crashing, Bleep was the preferred choice of most.

So, Rover Net rebranded and pushed for some new updates along with a new updated browser and the first search engine of its type in the market. All of this was also listed on 'what's new' on the www platform.

Bleep - the search engine and 'Bee' - the updated browser with a new portal - 'B Box' was released.

The search engine team had indexed almost most of the 15000 websites that were present on the web by this time and hence, their search engine was the most comprehensive and vast.

The portal - B BOX, had a clean white look instead of the regular blue screen look of present times and the words were written in Black and Hyperlinks were highlighted via a yellow colour than the generally blue one.

This whole look was very much similar to the news website that Sunny knew in future - Vox but this was a complete coincidence as the ideas of everyone around him influenced the design. So, the team of designers and coders created the most modern and clean-looking website of the time.

However, Sunny had to focus on the next step now. Promotion of this portal and filling it with its own websites. Sunny wanted to create a media empire and own popular web magazines and news sites that will grow in future. He knew with this entire pipeline - Free Browser, Free Search Engine and Free Portal - he can bring in a huge amount of traffic and then direct this huge traffic to the websites he wants to promote.

Besides, after the advertising platform is ready, he can earn money via ads and make everything profitable.

8