Chapter 16: Pieced Together
584 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16:

Pieced Together

She had always been there, that girl at the park. I grew close to her, attached. She was the first person to be truly kind to me. Whether I had to stim or my tics got the better of me. She found it odd, but never made fun of me.

"I don't know...it's kind of cute, if I'm honest." Her laughter had lifted my heart and caused me to become quite shy.

"Why did I forget this?" A sharp pain shot through the back of my head. Gritting my teeth against it, my hand shot back to feel where it came from. A small indent of sorts at the back of my head that had always been there for as long as I could remember.

I went there as often as I could after meeting her. After a while, she'd be waiting for me. Greeting me with a kind smile and a pat on the head. I'd show her the current book I was reading. We couldn't afford much, so my parents wouldn't get me a new book unless I finished my old ones. So, I would take them everywhere and read them all the time to finish them so I could get more.

They were always worn and used because of this. I would share them with her, and one particular book came to mind. I don't know what got it into my head, but I always thought she looked sad. Like she was hiding just like I was. Away from the pain of the world.

It was raining one day, and my parents were arguing again. It was worse this time. Grabbing my old umbrella, I grabbed that book. The same one in this display case. I ran, as fast and as hard as my asthmatic lungs could carry me through the wind and rain.

I wanted to see her, that girl. She always made me feel better, happier, but she wasn't there. I was terrified. I went in search of her, frantic. She wasn't too far from the park when I found her. Big, scary men had surrounded her. I simply acted.

Without thinking, I ran to her. I screamed at them to leave her alone. That I had a book I needed to give her. Thinking back on it now, my head pounding, I was rife with embarrassment.

"What a thing to say as a child..." I couldn't believe that was what I was most concerned about.

I remember grabbing her hand, and then...nothing. I went nowhere. Struck down, the ground came fast. That book I wanted to give her, a story about escaping to another world. One filled with hope and wonder. Now, it was washed in the waters of the rain.

Her face twisted in horror, and then anger. A rage that turned everything red. She moved with such a fierce ferocity that they stood no chance. The last part of the memory saw her standing in the rain, crying tears of blood, for that's how drenched in it she had become.

Reaching down to the book, she held it close to her chest. Looking back at me, she just said one, simple thing, "I'm sorry..."

With that, she ran. That's where my memory stopped. I remembered being in the hospital after that, but I could never remember why. They said I hit my head, but I didn't remember. I knew who I was, but as to what happened I didn't know...until now.

The pain in my head began to subside as I looked towards Cecelia. That same auburn, ombre hair and amber eyes like autumn. Brilliant and glowing. She held a sleeve covered hand to her mouth, hugging herself with her other arm. Her face full of worry and uncertainty.

"That girl...is her," Pushing myself from the display case, I made my way haphazardly towards her. Each step felt heavier than the next. My heart pounded in my chest. Her eyes averting their gaze, guilt and fear in her eyes.

"...That won't do," I didn't like that look. I didn't want to see that on her face. These memories were locked because of that blow I took as a kid. Seeing all of this...it made me remember. To piece together the puzzle of my past.

Wrapping my arms around her slowly, I pulled her into a tight hug. A warm hug filled with all of my emotions. I hugged her even as she flinched. Even as she tensed up, because I knew she was just afraid that I'd hate her, but that wasn't the case.

There was a lot I still didn't know, and I'm sure she would tell me. There weren't many people who would have a shrine like this to someone. That's the only thing I could call this room. Even the AI looked like me. That was the only thing that made me uncomfortable.

"Am I really jealous of an AI?" But it was true, just the thought of her giving attention to something that looked like me made my heart ache.

"A-Alex?" Her cheeks were red, flustered as I looked up at her.

"...Yandere," I whispered teasingly, smiling up at her.

"W-What!?" She blushed further, growing even more flustered, "I-I'm not...I mean..."

"...Cute," I mumbled, hugging her tighter, "I didn't know you could get so flustered..."

"You..." She narrowed her eyes at me, "And I didn't know you could be so bold..."

I could feel my cheeks burning, and suddenly I was shy again. Looking away nonchalantly as I simply took in the sound of her heart.

"W-Well...maybe sometimes," I pouted, feeling her hand placed upon my head, "But I'd say you already knew I could, right?"

"Heh, perhaps..." She laughed lightly, her body relaxing, "So...you're not upset?"

The relief in her voice was nice to hear.

"No, Cecelia," I shook my head, "But...my head isn't feeling great, so..."

Without even finishing the thought, I was lifted in her arms. I don't know how she did it so easily, but I wasn't complaining. Wrapping my arms around her neck, I nestled into her as she took me from the room.

"Oh...and we'll have to talk about that AI..." I mumbled into her.

"...Of course, my dear," She responded softly, "Just relax, I'll take care of everything."

And I knew she would. Thinking back, we couldn't afford the hospital bills for my stay. It was only because of the mysterious change in our insurance afterwards that we could cover it. She had been watching over me all this time.

I had been holding back before, afraid of getting hurt. Now, I fell. I fell hard.

-----

14