Chapter 23: Dinner Talk
553 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23:

Dinner Talk

I had been kidnapped, and shortly after rescued by my wife. Cecelia confined me to our home for the time being. I understood her intention and was rather thankful she wasn't forceful about it. She made every attempt to ensure it was comfortable for me.

It wasn't too big of an issue, as I was an introvert regardless, and being inside was what I enjoyed most. Still, she did everything to make sure it wasn't strenuous. Letting me order whatever I wanted for food, books, or games. She even gave me massages whenever she was around. That being said, there was business she had to attend to.

"We were able to catch someone," Cecelia informed me over dinner, "A woman."

My heart tightened as I thought of that woman with her daughter

"I hope it isn't her..." Sighing, I felt a bit dejected at the thought.

"Is everything alright?" Cecelia asked, looking a bit concerned.

"Y-Yeah..." I smiled the best I could, but I was anxious, "Do you know...who you caught?"

Her expression changed subtly as she eyed me curiously. Calmly, she took her fork and began to spin it among the pasta we were having for dinner. Taking her time to bite, chew, and swallow the noodles. Only after doing so did she speak.

"Alex..." Her tone was somber, quiet, "I love you. So very much. I know every single thing there is to know about you."

Her words were measured as she took another bite of her food. In the same, slow way as before. All the while she remained completely calm.

"Is she...upset?" Looking over at her, I was worried she might actually be. I was hiding something from her, after all.

"No," She said, almost reading my mind, "I'm not upset."

Lifting her wine glass to her lips, she took a refined sip. Her eyes were oddly enchanting as they took me in coolly from over her glass. Setting it down carefully, she continued speaking.

"Every movement, I know," She said quietly, "The way you move...you tensed when I said we caught someone, even more so when I said it was a woman."

I swallowed hard, slumping back into my chair.

"Cecelia, I-" My words were weak as I felt ashamed.

"Alex, I'm not the jealous type. Not entirely," Setting her fork down, she wiped her mouth with a napkin, "What's mine is mine, and you will always be mine. However, you were hurt. Someone dared to lay hands on you, and you seem...protective of something. Someone."

I tried to meet her gaze, but it was too much for me. Instead, I looked down at my hands, trying to figure out how and what to say.

"Love..." She called out to me, her voice becoming tender, sweet, "You've a kind heart. The one who bandaged you..."

Wincing at her pinpointing just what I was worried about, she sighed. Looking up, I saw the soft smile upon her lips. My heart felt a bit more at ease, but for a moment there I was really scared. So scared that tears began to form in my eyes.

"Wipe your eyes, my dear," She told me gently, "I did not mean to scare you. I will never harm you. Tell me, who was this person who helped you?"

Sniffing slightly, I took a deep breath to collect myself as I wiped my eyes free.

"I...I'm sorry," I apologized, but she dismissed it with a wave of her hand and a reassuring smile, "It was a woman...I don't know her name, but she helped me when she didn't have to."

I found myself spilling everything out in quick order. My words tumbling over one another. I retracted several times, trying to explain better, but in the end, I got the point across. A woman, most likely of Indian descent, helped me. I told her and her daughter to escape, and the one who hurt me wasn't them.

"Please...don't hurt them," I begged her, worry filling my heart, "It was just a job, and they...they didn't hurt me so there's no reason to harm them. I don't-"

The feeling of arms wrapping around me cut my words short as I was pulled into a warm embrace. I had not noticed Cecelia get up, let alone make her way over to me. She shushed me, holding me to her.

"You only need ask," She whispered, stroking my hair, "Your wishes are my desires to fill. I told you before, I'm not unreasonable."

Wrapping my arms around her, I hugged her close.

"I...don't want to hold you back," I muttered, taking in her scent, "I love everything about you...I just-"

"Hush, my love," She quieted me, "I understand. You don't want to see too many die. Especially children."

"You really do know everything," I chuckled softly, tightening my hold on her, "...Thank you. I was just afraid..."

"I'm sorry," Her words were quiet, sad, "I did not mean to make you afraid of me."

"What!?" In shock, I looked up at her, upset she would even think that, "That's not what I-"

My words caught in my throat as I saw her dejected face. As I saw her, something just seemed to flip a switch inside of me. I rarely took the initiative, but in this moment my hand grabbed her by the collar of her sweater and pulled her down to me. My lips met hers as her eyes widened in surprise. Reaching up to the back of her neck, I pulled her in closer. Her eyes slowly closed as she embraced the kiss, returning it.

As I let go of her, we both gasped for air, a light blush to her cheeks.

"...Scared of you?" I breathed softly, shaking my head, "Don't be ridiculous...it seems there are some things you still don't know about me."

"Th-That...was unfair," Her words were breathy, and though she pouted, a smile came across her lips, "But...duly noted, my love."

With that, she ran her hand through my hair before cupping my cheek.

"Now then," She stated, composing herself, "The woman we caught was not the one you met. So, rest easy. The one we have is actually the one who hurt you. Anise."

"Really?" I was surprised at the coincidence, "She told you this?"

"Oh, she did," Cecelia's eyes became terrifyingly fierce, "Quite easily, I might add. Even gloated about it...but don't worry. I'll take care of her. For now, we need her tongue, but afterwards..."

Her gaze shifted to me and softened. Her hand upon my cheek steadied.

"Apologies," A tender, caring look in her eyes, "I forget about your stomach..."

"You never forget," I responded, raising an eyebrow, "You just like to tease me. See me squirm a bit."

"...Maybe, it is cute," She smiled mischievously, "That being said...what would you have me do?"

Thinking back to the beating I received, I was lucky to only have severe bruising and a cut above my left eye. At worse, it would scar. At best, it would heal. Though my ribs still ached, black and blue as they were.

"I'm like a blueberry under my shirt..." Taking Cecelia's hand from my cheek, I began to play with it bashfully.

"I'll leave that to your discretion, dear," I told her, sighing softly, "I just wanted those two to be okay, and...I want you to be safe."

"Honestly..." Amusement tinged her words as she sighed, "You should worry about yourself."

"You know I can't do that," Placing her hand back on my cheek, I held it there, "If anything were to happen to you..."

"Nothing will," Her response was immediate, confident, "Now...enough of this serious talk. Let's finish our food and head to bed."

Smiling warmly, I nodded. I was glad those two were able to escape, and even more relieved she didn't want to go after them. Later that night, she reassured me that she wasn't going anywhere. I knew she could handle herself, but I had no idea what she was getting into or who these people were. My heart couldn't handle the thought of her being in danger.

-----

13