Chapter 24: An Unexpected Call
504 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24:

An Unexpected Call

A week passed after that dinner. Everything became quiet, and I heard no more about Anise. I didn't inquire either as it was best to leave it out of my mind. Cecelia would handle everything and I was content to know that those two from before were safe. That woman and her daughter.

I was curious about what they were doing, or if they were alright otherwise, but for the most part I found myself living my life as normal. The bruising was still bad, but getting better. With the treatment Cecelia made sure I got, it was recovering a lot faster than it would otherwise.

Waking up in bed next to Cecelia was the best moments of my life. How she clung to me, ever so reluctantly letting me go so that I may use the bathroom was always adorable. She would begrudgingly get dressed, clinging to me at every step of the way before heading off for work. She was a busy woman.

Left alone for the day, I had nothing much to do and was still confined to the house. Most would see it as imprisonment, but honestly if this was prison then it was the most lavish of all prisons. Whatever food I wanted, the best game systems, and all the newest games. Cozy places to read and an atmosphere of relaxation.

For this reason, I was grateful that she didn't put guards on me again. It was just a bit too stifling for me. However, she did make it known she was looking into alternatives. Something I would, hopefully, be more comfortable with. Until then, I was fine unless I went out alone.

Today, I found myself in a small, cozy room. Lounging upon a rather luxurious divan, I enjoyed its comfort as I read a book rather peacefully. One of many series that I enjoyed when a call came through. A popup in my vision alerting me to it. It was an unknown caller. Normally, I wouldn't answer a number I didn't know, but not many people called me, so I was curious.

Reaching up to my glasses, a single touch on the side accepted the call. A visual of an audio file appeared, and I was connected.

"...Hello?" Calling out, I expected the voice of a scammer or AI.

"...Alexander?" A woman's voice with a slight Indian accent came over the connection.

The audio line moving along with her voice. I was surprised to hear her voice, but there was no doubt it was her. It was strange, however, that she was able to get my number.

"Yeah, it's Alex," I responded cautiously, "How did you get this number?"

"Don't worry about that," She skirted the question, answering vaguely, "A friend owed me a favor. Let's leave it at that."

"...Fine," I sighed, shaking my head, "Sooo...?"

I didn't know what to say as I hadn't really thought I'd ever see, let alone hear, from her again. This was a bit dangerous, as I was sure my calls were being monitored. I didn't mind though, I had nothing to hide from Cecelia. I just worried for how she might react.

Though she said she wasn't a jealous person, she was protective. If they contacted me, she might see them as a danger even after I asked her to not go after them. Then again, I did overthink even when I knew something for sure.

"Right..." She seemed a bit apprehensive as she took a deep breath, "Look, I don't want to take up too much of your time, I just...wanted to say thank you."

"Thank you?" Those were strange words to hear, "Why? I didn't really do anything."

"Are you serious?" She sounded baffled, "I don't know if you're humble or stupid..."

"...Or both? I am oblivious, for better or worse," I laughed lightly, but became a bit more seriously, "But do be aware, my calls are probably monitored. So while I'm not offended..."

There was silence on the other end for a moment before she spoke up again.

"...Your wife," Sighing in understanding, she became somber, "You saved us. Me and my daughter...For that you genuinely have my thanks, and you should accept it. I don't often thank people."

"Really?" I wanted to say more, but held back, "Well...you don't have to. I'm just glad you two are alright. You are...alright, right?"

"Don't worry," She reassured, hearing the hesitation in my voice, "Yes, we're alright. We're safe."

There was a moment of silence between us. Pretty sure neither of us knew what to say at that point. It was quite awkward. Thankfully, she spoke up first.

"Alexander..." She seemed hesitant, as if wanting to ask something.

"Alex is fine," I hoped to give her some ease of mind by being more casual.

"Right, Alex," She sounded exhausted, "I'm...Sadia, my daughter is Rosa. I thought you'd like to know the names of the ones you saved."

"They're beautiful names," Smiling to myself, I replied, "Thank you. I'll try to remember. My memory isn't the best, but...thank you."

"Yeah, well...anyways," I could almost hear her shifting as she spoke, "I said what I needed to say, so...be well, Alex."

"You too, Sadia," Replying calmly, I was glad to have helped them, "Make sure you take care of Rosa. Stay safe."

"...We will," I felt relieved as I heard the warmth in her voice.

As she hung up, the audio line collapsed in on itself, winking out of existence. It was an unexpected call, but one that I appreciated. Smiling, proud of myself and happy for them, I returned to reading.

"Sadia and Rosa...It was nice meeting them, despite the circumstances," I had a hard time really registering what had happened, and was only focused on the fact they were okay. They seemed like good people, and Rosa seemed to be around the same age as Alana, my niece.

"I wonder...if they would get along?"

-----

11