Chapter 37: Holiday Gifts
391 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37:

Holiday Gifts

Julius and I were heading out for the day. The reason was simple. Christmas was coming up soon. Since I didn't want to bother Yuriko or Cecelia with this, I requested Julius to come with me.

It was nerve-wracking asking him. I had expected him to refuse, but instead he asked what day. I had to convince Yuriko and Cecelia to go do something today together. Though I knew I couldn't hide everything from Cecelia, I had to hope she would respect this.

She had been quite intrigued when I said I was going out with Julius. Almost...amused. Yet, she didn't fight it and Yuriko was excited for a "girls' day". Not exactly sure what to get someone who had everything, I hoped to get some insight from Julius, but had no idea how to approach the subject.

I simply asked him, and he said he would go. For someone who didn't like me, he definitely accepted quickly. "Perhaps he is scared of his sisters being upset with him if he doesn't..." I could only sigh at the thought. He had finally recovered from his arm injury, and I doubt he would want to be injured again. "That's probably why he accepted."

"Julius..." I called apprehensively, "Can I...ask you a question?"

Resting his chin in his hand, he was lazily looking out of the window as we flew through the city. His gaze falling upon me from the corner of his eyes. He was silent, almost disinterested. I suddenly felt extremely sheepish.

"N-Nevermind...sorry," I smiled awkwardly, looking out the window myself, "Why does he-"

"...Ask," His word cut through me and my thoughts with how sharp it felt.

"A-Are you sure?" I fumbled over myself as I asked.

He nodded curtly.

"Okay, well..." Taking a breath, I mustered up my courage, "What...do you think they'd like? I mean, they have everything already, right?"

"That's true," He stated simply, his gaze returning to whatever was out the window.

"So...?" I inquired, prodding for any more information.

He didn't answer. Just continued staring out of the window. Feeling defeated, I also turned my gaze outside. The snow-covered landscape flew by. Buildings and other hovercars making their way past.

"Something important to you," Julius's words caught me off-guard.

My eyes widened at his response, and all I could do was stare at him in surprise. Though his tone was the same as always, his words made so much sense.

"...What?" He asked, rather annoyed as he caught my gaze, "Are you telling me you didn't think about that?"

"N-No..." I answered, rather ashamed as I looked towards the floor.

"Seriously..." Clicking his tongue, I glanced up to see him running his hand through his hair in annoyance, "With how obsessed they are with you, you really didn't think that?"

I quietly shook my head, feeling even more ashamed and defeated. "He really hates me..." His demeanor was terrifying. I felt like I was back before Cecelia came into my life. Cowering before my bullies.

"...Look, don't sweat it," Julius huffed, realigning his hair, "Just...don't look like that."

Something in his words felt comforting, if that was even possible. Peeking up at him, he was once more staring out the window, but this time it looked like he was pouting. "...Strange." I wondered at what I saw, but chose to shelve it for now.

"So, anything you get them will work," He continued, "As long as it is something from your heart. Even better if they can keep it. Do you have anything like that?"

"Th-Thank you!" I exclaimed softly.

I was amazed. This was the most he had ever talked to me. Let alone given me actual, solid advice. With stars in my eyes, I couldn't help but marvel at him. As he caught my gaze, he grew a bit annoyed, but there was something different about it as he turned his face.

"Is that...a blush?" Again, I chose to shelve what I may or may not have seen.

-----

The snow crunched beneath our boots. I had just the place in mind to get the gifts. It was a shop I often frequented. I had always marveled at their works but could never afford much. I had saved up so much money to buy a gift for one of my exes. Needless to say, they weren't impressed.

An accessory store dedicated to more fantasy pieces. A shop near my home district. I wandered there from time to time. The Crystal Dragon. A bit corny, but it got the point across. The sign for the shop had a dragon behind a beautiful pearlescent orb.

Walking to the store was a spectacle. Julius attracting similar attention to that of his sisters. For all that attention, however, he was as disinterested as ever. This, of course, only caused them to swoon over him more. I tried to distance ourselves, feeling a bit out of place next to him. Plus, I didn't want to get in his way.

However, as crazy as it sounds, he actually kept pace with me. Not going further ahead, or behind, but actually at my side. The annoyed looks of everyone did not go unnoticed by me. I tried my best to disappear but failed. That's when I noticed something peculiar.

After a while, the gazes stopped. People began to move on quickly. I wondered at the moment if Cecelia was nearby but looking around there was no one but me and Julius. He looked no different than normal, so I didn't think much of it. It was only when we got closer to the store that I saw it. The coldest gaze I ever saw from him, and it wasn't aimed at me.

A group of girls stood huddled nearby, gawking at him. Their gazes turning sour as they saw me. As I reached for the handle of the store's door, I looked back to see if he was coming. His gaze was fixated on them. A wave of ice washing over me as I saw the look in his eyes. The girls noticed it too as they shrieked. They quickly dispersed, and the wheels in my mind began to turn. "Perhaps...I wasn't just seeing things earlier. Hmm..."

Putting it from my mind for now, I had other things to focus on. Opening the door to the store, the smell of polished wood, assorted herbs, and other fragrances assaulted my nose. Glass figures of all sizes decorated the shelves. Necklaces, chokers, rings, and bracelets. Candles, sage, holo-tattoos. Many various things were for sale at The Crystal Dragon. All aimed towards the fantasy crowd.

I had always wanted to get a certain gift from here, but never had the chance. After an ex of mine casually discarded the figure I got her, I never had the energy to give another gift from here. "I wonder if they even still have them...it's been a couple years."

As I looked around, the customers and staff hovered around Julius. They admired him from a distance, muttering among themselves. I did my best to ignore them, focusing on my search. I was beginning to grow disheartened, but then I saw them.

Leather bracelets of matching design. Nothing too fancy, but beautifully made. They were thin pieces of leather tightly interwoven together. I was grateful they still had them. I could only hope that Yuriko and Cecelia liked them. I was grateful that Cecelia made sure I had money in my own bank account. Money I could do with as I please with privacy.

As I waited to get a clerk's attention, I noticed something else. Catching my eye were necklaces that would fit Cecelia and Yuriko perfectly. For Yuriko, a pendant in the shape of a cat's head. Its eyes made of amber.

For Cecelia, an elegantly designed and beautiful made golden necklace. A marquise shaped, rose quartz pendant attached to it. As I perused the jewelry, a thought came to me. "Perhaps I should get something for Julius as well?" Glancing over at him, he was distracted for the moment.

A Celtic ring of brilliant silver stood out to me. I felt like it would fit him perfectly. It wasn't too ostentatious and could easily be taken off if needed. With everything finally decided, I got three of the bracelets, the necklaces, and finally the ring. Smiling to myself, I had everything packed and paid for while Julius was distracted. Happy with my purchases, I headed towards the door.

-----

Just some nice, fluffy chapters before some heavy stuff...be prepared. Chapter 40 starts some dark themes/storyline.

7