Chapter 58: Pick Up
302 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 58:

Pick Up

Yuriko slumped against my lap, pouting as I pet her head. She was exhausted from having to confront Lewis, something she really didn't like doing. I understood how she felt.

"You did good, Yuriko," I praised, running my hand along the top of her head, "I'm proud of you."

"Really?" She asked, looking up at me with sparkling eyes, "It was really exhausting...Celia usually handles it all..."

"Yes, really," I confirmed, smiling lovingly down at her, "Thank you, Yuriko."

She smiled, giggling as she turned over in my lap. Taking my hand in hers, she held it to her face. Rubbing her cheek against the back of my hand, I felt my heart soften. "She's just too adorable sometimes...to think, she could kill anyone in the blink of an eye."

"So, where are we headed?" I asked, looking up at Sadia.

"New Chinatown," She answered, looking out the window as we moved along, "She lives in a small house there."

New Chinatown. It was a refurbished, new area that came to prominence after the Eco-Conversion. With all the major cities being remade, the terrain and buildings were all changed. Districts of current cities became moved and relocated, but for the better.

New Chinatown was located in an area full of parks and shrines. It held the same atmosphere as the old Chinatown, yet with a more modern feel of the era. Neon signs and holograms outside of shrines of priestesses who bowed to visitors. Street food being sold in hover carts that moved slowly through the roadways.

Apartments and shops towered into the sky, entwined with vines and flowers. Cherry blossoms, willows, and other various trees decorated the parks on rooftops and on the ground. Music played near constantly as we neared the ground.

The hovercar making its way through the twisting roads until we came to a small home nestled in a secluded part of the district. It was quiet here, and other similar houses were placed just far enough apart to give some privacy. It was the first time in a while I saw normal houses.

I was so used to apartments and then the penthouses I stayed in with Cecelia. As the car came to a stop, I looked towards Sadia who seemed rather nervous.

"Everything alright?" I asked, concerned.

"Yeah...I just wonder if I am making the right choice," She smiled half-heartedly, "I know this job is good, but...it may put her in danger. If she's here then-"

"Sadia," I interrupted, and even Yuriko grew silent as she looked towards Sadia, "I don't want to try and pretend like I know everything, nor do I want to try and step on your toes when it comes to raising your daughter..."

"...But?" She questioned, half-amused.

Even Alana seemed to be listening now, looking towards me.

"But..." I continued, taking a breath, "I feel like you'll regret it if you leave her here. While you may have your reasons-"

"A parent should be with their child," Alana's quiet words cut through mine, "Don't make my parents mistake."

Her words tore at my heart. Hugging her from the side tightly, she smiled bittersweetly.

"...Thank you, Miss Alana," Sadia spoke tenderly, nodding in understanding.

-----

We stood awkwardly as the tiny woman looked us over. Sadia's mother was just slightly shorter than my own mother, and almost as old. Her gaze was powerful. Her left eye a cybernetic blue, with her right being a beautiful green. It held a clarity and strength to it, a vibrancy of life yet to live.

"So...You came for Rosa?" Her words cut like iron, hands on her hips she wore dark green, traditional clothes of India, "And who is it you've brought to my door, child?"

"...Mother, come on," Sadia seemed to wilt before her, "I didn't come to fight. I told you, I got a job."

"And who are you killing this time?" She quipped, clicking her tongue, "Or perhaps it's another kidnapping? Perhaps stealing something? You want my ancestors antiques too?"

"Mother..." Sighing, Sadia knelt before her mother, reaching her hand up to her cheek.

Though her mother had berated her, she did not withdraw from her daughters touch. I could see in her face she cherished her daughter greatly. The creases of worry around her eyes reminded me of my own mother.

"Child...it is not fair to look at me with those eyes," Sadia's mother muttered, shaking her head, "You know you have your fathers eyes..."

"And yours," Sadia responded, smiling, "Come now, don't be upset. This is a real job. I promise you."

Her mother looked once more over at us, then past us as her face lost all color.

"Blessed Buddha...Not now," Her mother exclaimed, shaking her head.

Turning our attention to where she looked, we found the culprits of her fear. Yakuza looking thugs sauntering towards us. The dread I felt washed over me, looking towards Yuriko, I saw the cat ready to pounce.

-----

Forgive me if I offend anyone with how I portray Sadia's mother and family. I did my best to research things, while adding in my own take on how the culture has changed in the far future after the Eco-Conversion as part of the fantasy. I mean no disrespect at all.

6