Chapter 69: The Question of a Dress
248 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 69:

The Question of a Dress

It didn't take long for the girls to find a place they liked. Rosa and Alana finally seemed to be getting along, without me having to say anything to Rosa. I was grateful, because that conversation would have been incredibly awkward.

The place we found ourselves in was definitely geared towards teens and other young adults. Though they held clothing for all ages. Their designs were cutesy, but also held some sporty wear like Yuriko wore. "I wonder if that's what drew Alana? She did seem to enjoy Yuriko's clothing."

Following them in, we were greeted immediately by a clerk. Her pristine white and gold uniform was accentuated by the white beret she wore upon her head. Her dark hair tied in a neat bun. She smiled widely, cyber-eyes looking between us. Her skin was pale and held traces of cyberware. A glowing nametag on the right side of her uniform held the name: Samantha.

"Welcome to Aeon Designs," Her voice was slightly modulated, but not unpleasant, "How may I assist with your clothing needs?"

Alana and Rosa looked to her with apprehension, unsure how to respond.

"We're just looking," Cecelia chimed in politely, "Is there anything you recommend?"

"Oh excellent!" Samantha motioned into the store, "There are several wonderful deals going on right now, and an excellent selection to choose from!"

Her gaze passed over Alana and Rosa, her eyes glowing a slight blue.

"I have confirmed your measurements," She informed them, much to their embarrassment, "Do not be shy, all our information is protected and is only used to find the right fit for you! Once you have made your purchases you may choose to save the information for the next time you are in, or have it deleted. Your privacy is important."

"...How can anyone stay that happy?" It was obviously for the job, but it was still incredible how people could act like that. "Money is money...I shouldn't complain." I berated myself, for I wasn't working and didn't need to, now that Cecelia was around. Something I was grateful for, but still trying to wrap my head around. At this point, I just went with it even as I felt lost in a dream.

As the attendant showed the girls some clothes, they began to get a bit more comfortable. Able to say what they liked and what they didn't. Alana choosing a beautiful, modest white sundress with a dark grey floral design embroidered in, and dark grey leggings as her first outfit. The dress itself was long-sleeved and would cover most of her skin, much to my relief.

"I really am that worried uncle..." Sighing, I could only try and relax and not interfere with her choices.

Before she had a chance to try them on, Rosa stared longingly at a dark dress of a similar design, but with the sleeves partly see-through. Her earlier enthusiasm beginning to disappear.

"What's wrong?" Alana asked, stepping up beside her.

"O-Oh, I...Uhm," Rosa let the dress fall back on the rack, shrugging, "I don't need it..."

Frowning, Alana looked towards me. She knew the look that Rosa had on her face. We both did. The look that said she can't afford it. With Alana's pleading eyes staring at me, I couldn't sit still. Making my way over, I lifted the dress with my hand.

"It's a pretty dress," I said softly, "Do you like it?"

"...It's alright," Rosa shrugged, averting her gaze.

"I think it's more than alright," Looking towards Alana, I motioned with my head and eyes towards Rosa; Attempting to get Alana to say something.

Thankfully, she took my cue.

"I think so too," Alana smiled, lifting the dress in her own hand, "I think it would look great on you."

Through Alana's words, Rosa's cheeks turned slightly pink as a small smile crept across her face.

"Y-You think so?" She asked, looking towards the dress, "But...it's expensive and-"

"Do you want it?" I asked, interrupting.

Rosa glanced up at me warily, still unsure about me. "I should do something..."

"Look, Rosa," I leveled with her, "You'll be living with us, and your mother is my attendant. I hold no grudge against either of you."

As I spoke to her, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Something that caught my attention for but a moment. As Samantha was chatting with Cecelia, the other clerks seemed busy with other guests. A man in a security outfit looked around before slinking into the changing rooms. "...What the fuck? Why does a security guard have to sneak around?"

"Uncle?" Alana asked, snapping me back to attention.

"Ah...sorry," I smiled awkwardly, "I sometimes lose myself a bit..."

"He does," Alana agreed, giggling softly, "Don't be offended, please."

"...Okay," Rosa nodded, smiling softly to Alana.

"So, what I was saying..." Collecting myself, I continued, "To me, you're a part of our household now. She is under my care as much as I am under hers. Pick whatever you wish. You need not worry about the cost."

Rosa's eyes lit up, but she caught herself. Glancing towards Alana, as if asking if it was really okay. Alana nodded, urging her to pick the dress.

"My Uncle is a lot of things," Alana told her, "But he means what he says. Thank you, Uncle."

"It's not a problem, Alana," I smiled, placing a hand on top of her head, "I want you two to get along, and whatever you need, you let me know, alright?"

Rosa seemed to relax a bit as she lost herself in thought. After a moment, she looked towards me with a small smile on her face.

"...Thank you," She spoke in a quiet voice, and I could hear the gratefulness underneath.

There were tears beginning to form in her eyes, but before it got worse, I left them to it. Turning my attention back towards the changing rooms as the security guard walked out, head swiveling around as they scanned the store. "...I don't like this."

I was getting a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and as I caught Cecelia's eye, she seemed to notice it was well. With a bright smile, she excused herself from Samantha and made her way over towards.

"Love...Did you notice?" She whispered, taking me in her arms.

"The guard?" I whispered back, disconcerted, "Why are they sneaking?"

"...May I?" She asked, placing her lips upon my forehead.

"Check it out," I told her, looking towards Alana and Rosa, "If it is what I think it is..."

"Do not worry," Placing a comforting hand on the top of my head, she smiled reassuringly, "Leave it to me."

-----

4