Chapter 75: Silent Guard
278 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 75:

Silent Guard

It was a quiet winter morning. Snow drifted slowly down to the ground below, covering everything in its pristine embrace. I sat with a cup of hot chocolate, waiting for everyone else to wake up. I had trouble sleeping last night, and though I was hesitant to leave the warmth of Yuriko and Cecelia, I wanted this time to quietly think.

"It's been an eventful couple of months...Everything has changed for me," Sipping the sweet liquid, its warmth radiating through my body, I gazed over the city. Its districts I once explored when I was little, and somewhere out there was that park I met Cecelia in long ago.

"I'm glad those memories came back," Reaching up to the back of my head, I felt the small indent. It was barely even noticeable. Just a small grove that runs along the back of my skull. It wasn't squishy, as bone had healed back over. "Cecelia's loved me all this time...I feel horrible for forgetting, even though it's not my fault."

I never thought I'd see the world from up here. There was a certain beauty to it, but a solitude that crept into the depths of your soul. "How did Cecelia do it? How do any of them? Up here...it feels so lonely."

Staring into my cup, I took another, healthy sip. Sitting on the window seat, its cushions supporting my back, my fear of heights was stable unless I looked directly down. Of course, being my dumbass self, I was always curious. Glancing down at the ground below, I felt my self lurch forward. Having to steel myself to take in the sights.

Below were cars of all sorts moving around. Hovercars and ground vehicles. The world never slept. The changing of the New Year was one of the major changes that the Eco-Conversion made. No longer was it in the middle of winter, but near the end of it. When winter turns to spring.

I never understood why they ever had it in the middle of winter. I don't know what they were thinking back then. With the New Year approaching though, I often thought back on everything in my life. Another year, another season gone. As I contemplated life, the sliding of a door drew my attention.

"Mr. Alden!" A young voice called, surprised.

Turning, I saw the chef's assistant entering the room. It was really early, before even Cecelia got up. The light of day was barely breaking through the clouds. "What is he doing here?" I had a strange feeling, as I was in one of the smaller lounge rooms. I walked here after making myself a cup of hot chocolate in the small kitchen a few doors down.

While it wouldn't be too suspicious, the kitchen he was supposed to be in was across the penthouse. On top of that, this place wasn't available to anyone without the proper scans. "The only servants who have the scans are the head maid, which I haven't met yet, and head butler. Well, there's Sadia of course, but..."

"Good Morning...?" I questioned, trying to coax out his name.

"Ah! Uhm, Henry, sir," He smiled, hands behind his back, "You're up early."

"Yeah...I couldn't sleep," I responded, watching him closely, "What brings you here?"

"Me? Oh, I was grabbing something for the Chef!" He exclaimed, smiling proudly, "He wants to make something special for breakfast, so-"

"And you'll find that in this lounge?" I asked, interrupted as I cautiously took a sip of my drink.

His smile faltered slightly. "...Shit, if he is up to no good, I'm alone." Henry was a young kid, about early twenties. He was brought on by the chef as a favor to a friend, from what I heard. Medium length brown hair tied back, and olive colored skin with warm undertones. His nose was slightly larger than normal, yet he may be considered handsome by some.

"Oh, no," He shook his head, "I must have made a mistak-"

My eyes flicked behind him as Sadia appeared behind him, gun to his head. I didn't notice, nor hear her approach, and I always prided myself on my perception. Especially if I am looking right on at something.

"Yes, you did," She stated, pulling something from behind his back, "Alex, are you alright?"

"Yeah..." I answered, watching them closely, "What's going on? How did you know where I was?"

"I am your attendant, Alex," She explained, showing the weapon he had behind his back; A Small Pistol, "Twenty-four seven. Whenever you wake up, I am alerted. When you move to another room, I am alerted. I apologize if you didn't know this."

"Ah...No, it's fine," I smiled softly, watching as she forced Henry to hold his hands up, "Honestly, it makes sense. I don't know how she does it...and I'd rather not ask."

Sadia smirked, understanding what I meant. With his hands held up, his friendly demeanor disappeared. His smile replaced with a scowl.

"Don't try anything," Sadia warned him, going to grab one of his wrists.

As she did, the young man made his move. In a surprising display of agility, he twisted out of her grip, knocking her back before she could pull the trigger. Instead of running out the door, he made the stupid mistake to lunge at me. Starting, I attempted to move out of the way.

"Alex!" Sadia cried out, followed by a spray of blood.

Its crimson hues rained down on the room, and on me. Its warmth was not the kind I hoped for during this winter morning. Pieces of flesh and cyberware crackled through the hole in Henry's head as he fell heavily to the floor. Sadia stood, her gun aimed towards where Henry had been. A fierce look on her face as she had just discharged a shot. I slowly took in the seen before me. Seeing his blood pooling on the floor, and parts of flesh splattered on the wall and floating in my drink, I couldn't hold it back. My stomach emptied itself as I heaved heavily.

-----

If you didn't think Cecelia was tracking Alex...Well, let's just say she made some...uhm, "adjustments".

4