Chapter 81: Late Night Gift
260 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 81:

Late Night Gift

The New Year was quickly approaching. The other day found me relaxing with those I care about, and a revelation that I didn't want to face. Alana was a yandere. She was obsessed with making me happy and ensuring my safety. She loved me, but not in the way that Cecelia did. For that, at least, I was grateful. It would be awkward otherwise.

Her and Rosa were getting along well, and that was a whole thing I didn't think I was prepared for. Since that day, the staff have been limited to almost nothing. No one came in or out without a guard's permission, and it was Cecelia's personally trained guard. Ones devoted to her.

The silence was astounding as it permeated the home. It felt strange to suddenly be back to no one save family, but I didn't mind that. It gave me time to think without worry. Which is what I was doing this night.

Being unable to sleep, I found one of the studies to lounge in. One with a fireplace, as I wanted the warmth and glow of the fire. Sadia, as always, was by my side. I felt guilty, as she should be sleeping, but she dismissed it.

"I am trained to stay awake for days, Alex," She told me, leaned against the wall, "I am well rested and-"

"So?" I interrupted, slightly irritated at how she thought, "Even if that's true...I don't...I mean, you need rest."

Sadia was quiet for a moment, a soft smile curled her lips.

"Thank you for your concern, Alex," She replied, taking a breath, "But you should know that I do this willingly."

"...I know," I frowned, sighing, "I just don't like to think you may be hiding your tiredness from me, or that you may be putting on a brave face, or just telling me this to make me feel better, or-"

"Alex..." Sadia interrupted, laughing lightly, "Relax."

I found myself blushing in embarrassment as my mind got the better of me.

"S-Sorry, but you know what I mean, right?" I asked, hopeful that she did.

"I do," She nodded, "And I know it'll be hard for you to believe, but I truly am alright. I promise you, if I'm not, I'd tell you."

"...Really?" Glancing over at her, the soft glow of the fireplace illuminated her, giving her skin a beautiful golden glow, "Damn..."

I found myself captivated before I could compose myself.

"Yes, Alex," She answered softly, nodding.

As the fire crackled, I flipped through the book I was reading. If she said she was okay, then I would hope that remained true. As the evening wore on, I heard the sound of soft footsteps approaching. As the door to the room slid open, I looked up to see Yuriko.

"A-Alex?" Yuriko's tired voice called as she yawned, "This is where you were..."

"Was she...searching for me?" I felt touched, my heart filling with love. Rubbing one of her eyes, her hair was slightly messy, yet still somehow looked amazing. Around her shoulders was a blanket, holding it close to her as it dragged slightly behind her on the floor. Her bare legs, illuminated by the light of the fire, poked from beneath its confines.

She made her way inside the room, the door sliding close behind her. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, for she was beautiful. Looking around, she saw Sadia leaning against the wall. With such a precious smile, she waved happily, but tiredly at Sadia in greeting.

"Heeey~, Sadia," Yuriko was as carefree and relaxed as ever.

"Good evening, Miss Yuriko," Sadia replied, causing Yuriko to pout a bit, "A-Ah...sorry, just Yuriko."

Happy with the correction, Yuriko nodded, continuing moving into the room. Plopping herself down next to me, she looked towards me with a wide, pleased smile.

"Fooound~ you," She stated, slumping over.

Her head landing upon my lap, I let out a "oomph" as she made herself comfortable. "How can one be so adorable, yet so dangerous?" Reaching a hand out, I pet her head, much to her delight. Sadia watched us with a fondness, and suddenly...and idea came to me. "This is a perfect moment."

"Sadia," I called her attention, "There's a box, third drawer down in our room. Hidden under some clothes. Can you grab that for me?"

Sadia gave me a apprehensive look.

"Cecelia is still sleeping..." Sadia said, and I understood her hesitation.

"Well...just be quiet," I teased, but nodded, "I understand, if she wakes up, just tell her you're grabbing something for me, and that I'm with Yuriko."

Steeling herself, Sadia nodded and headed out.

"What box?" Yuriko asked softly, almost purring as she snuggled against me.

"You'll see..." I told her, stroking her hair, "Could you not sleep?"

"Nuhuh...Alex wasn't there," She said simply, her eyes growing clear as she stared into the fire, "Without you there...it doesn't feel right."

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, playing with the soft strands of her hair, "I couldn't sleep, and didn't want to disturb you."

"...That's okay," She whispered, "Can I...stay here with you?"

"Of course, that's no question," I smiled loving down at her, "You're always welcome to be by me."

Smiling appreciatively, pleased with my answer, Yuriko nestled more into me. We sat there in silence until Sadia finally arrived. Presenting me with the black box, wrapped in a white ribbon just like the one for Cecelia.

"Thank you," I said, taking it from her carefully.

Sadia returned to her post as I adjusted myself.

"Yuriko..." I called softly, helping her to sit up, "I want to give you something..."

"For me?" Tilting her head, she smiled warmly.

"Yes," I nodded, holding the box in my hand, "Close your eyes. I gave you the bracelet before...but that was for all three of us. This is for you."

"Okaaay~" Closing her eyes, she waited.

Opening the box, I took the beautiful silver chain out. The simple cat face shimmering in the firelight, enhancing the amber gems in its eyes. Unhooking the chain, I reached around her. Leaning in close, I could smell the soft flowery scent of her skin. "She smells nice..."

Blushing, I linked the chain, and as I leaned back, I came face to face with Yuriko's eyes. They were open, and she was looking at me. An affection in them that caused my heart to skip a beat. I found myself lost in her eyes for I don't know how long. "They seem...so clear."

Smiling fondly, her gaze eventually went down to the pendant around her neck. Taking it in her hand, she examined it. Running a thumb along its surface, she wasn't saying a word.

"...I love it, Alex," She smiled warmly, her eyes lifting back up to mine, "Thank you."

The flickering flames of the fire moved across her. They licked at her skin, casting shadows that my eyes tried to follow, but what drew my attention was the amber eyes. Her amber eyes. I found myself falling deep into them.

"...Alex, I think I'll take you up on that offer," Sadia spoke up softly, "I'm going to get some rest. Enjoy your evening..."

Excusing herself, I could only nod absentmindedly, Yuriko's hand touching my cheek.

-----

Next chapter, as you may guess, will be a smut/spice chapter, but one of fluff. It's a bit long due to some story/character development plot points/interaction, so dig in for some reading.

If the smut chapters aren't your thing, skip to the next chapter once it's released. A summary of the important story moments will be placed in the author notes of chapter 83 in a spoiler tag if you skipped chapter 82.

4