Chapter 83: Rigged Games
305 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 83:

Rigged Games

Yuriko. Scarlett. Whichever name I call her, she responds. Our night together brought us closer than ever. It was still a bit odd calling her Scarlett, as I was so used to saying Yuriko.

Cecelia knew right away. The glow Scarlett gave off radiated in her actions. If anything, she became even more serene, if that was even possible. Her steps always felt like they floated on air, but now it was like she flew. I couldn't say I wasn't the same.

My steps held a bit more weight and purpose. I felt more grounded than ever. Cecelia expressed her happiness in our union by embracing us both. Her hug warming both our hearts, as Scarlett beamed happily, and I couldn't help but embrace them both back.

Alana realized something had happened, beginning to give a bit more space. Perhaps to give me some time to spend with Scarlett now that we were closer physically. She spent more time with Rosa. Laying together on the floor, or cushions in various rooms as they watched videos together.

Their legs dangling in the air, kicking happily. Sometimes, their legs would touch, and Rosa would blush, trying to hide it. Alana giggled, seemingly unaware, as she simply enjoyed the show. "Either Alana knows and is teasing her...or doesn't and that's even more cute. More...innocent."

I wanted Alana to remain as pure for as long as she could. Pure in the sense of being a kid for a while longer. Thinking about love, death, and the other problems of the world were just too much. I knew I was lying to myself. "Alana already knows about all that..."

One day, she would find love. One day, she would see someone die. One day, she would go into the world without me. I feared for those days. What if she fell in love with the wrong person? "They'd die..." The thought occurred to me before I even registered it. So ingrained into me that I barely gave it a second thought, but as I did think it, I had to pause a moment and process it.

"Yes...I'd destroy them, but that's what scares me. The fact that I'd have to." I wanted Alana to find the right one without the pain of finding the wrong one. I didn't know if Rosa was that person for her, or if it would be someone else. I didn't want Alana to go through heartbreak.

An unrealistic, selfish thing of me to want. I couldn't protect her from everything, and it hurt. I only hoped she was smart enough to figure it out herself, but that also scared me. "I think she's too smart in that area..." Which brought me to another fear of her never finding anyone.

There were just too many variables. "Just what if-" The cold touch of hands to the back of my neck snapped me out of my doom spiral. Cecelia stood behind me, smiling knowingly. The festival was going on, and this was no time to overthink. Rosa and Alana clung to Scarlett's arms, being dragged around the festival grounds.

Sadia was nearby, watching carefully. It was New Years, and tonight we would see it in with a festival. The ball dropping remained in effect even after the Eco-Conversion. The world adopted a more festive take, like that of Japan. Food stalls, activities, and ending the night with the ball drop and fireworks.

Cecelia was bundled up in a beautiful winter coat, and warm tights. A scarf wrapped around her neck and a winter cap covered her hair. Despite the chill in the air, her cheeks remained untouched by winters kiss.

"Overthinking?" She asked, to which I nodded, "I thought so..."

Taking my arm in hers, she pulled me close. Walking with the others as we looked at the various people walking around. A sky-top park situated on top of a large building. Food stalls lined the walkways, trees covered in snow decorated the area, and people walked around in winter clothes. The sun had set, and neon lights lit the way.

"I worry for Alana, but..." Looking towards her, she happily smiled with Rosa as they attempted a festival game.

They had to slide a disk across a board of ice, making it into one of the holes at the very end. Alana missed several times, disappointed. Rosa got a determined look on her face as she stepped up to the plate.

"They look like they're having fun," Cecelia whispered, watching them with me.

"Yes, they do," I nodded, agreeing with her.

Rosa took aim, tongue in cheek as she pushed the disk up towards the hole. It looked like it had enough force, but just before it could even reach the line that indicated the highest part, the disk lost speed and fell back down. The board itself was maybe fifteen feet long and looked simple enough. "Odd..."

Disappointed, Alana comforted Rosa, thanking her for attempting. This happened several more times at several other games, and the girls were getting frustrated more each time. Those that ran the stalls apologized but stated they couldn't do anything about it.

"Cecelia..." I whispered, growing suspicious, "Who runs these stalls?"

"Well, anyone can," She stated, thinking for a moment, "Is something wrong?"

"I always heard that carnivals, festivals, all that..." I said, looking around at everything, "They are rigged. Do you think..."

"That the girls are being cheated?" Cecelia finished my sentence, and I nodded, "Yes, it is possible. Do you want me to check?"

"...I will," I smiled confidently, walking up to the girls, "There's one thing I'm good at, it's games."

Cecelia blushed light, seemingly amused as she followed. The game the girls were at was a shooting one. Knock the prizes down, get the prize. The one they aimed for was a giant stuffed panda. It was being really resilient.

"Damn..." Rosa frowned, "I'm sorry Alana..."

"It's alright..." Alana patted her on the shoulder and turned to leave.

"I'll take one," I spoke up, placing a credit chip down, surprising them both.

"Uncle...it's alright, I-" Alana attempted to dissuade.

"Just watch," I smiled, looking at the large man behind the counter.

"Alright, one it is," He pocketed the chip and handed me the gun.

Already, it felt off. I didn't shoot guns, but I shot plenty of game ones. There was a heft to it, but like something was missing. There should be a thrumming sound of power, but instead there was just a small buzz. Checking it over, I noticed why.

"Sir, is everything alright? Please, just take your shot," The man smiled nervously.

"The battery is loose," I said, reaching for cable that jiggled slightly.

Before I could push it further in, the man's hand shot out. Three winds, cold as ice, rushed by me. Scarlett, with her golden needle an inch from his eye, Cecelia with her blade at his throat, and Sadia with her gun at his head. The man froze in terror, eyes wide.

"Release it," Cecelia ordered, voice like steel, "Or I release your insides..."

Swallowing hard, the man dropped the gun, hands up. Casually I plugged in the battery. Immediately, the gun made a charging sound. Taking a breath, I steadied myself. While digital games were more my speed, it required the same type of accuracy. This was my specialty. One by one, I knocked the prizes down. Including the Panda. Each prize I handed out to other disheartened children who had been defeated by this man. Their parents grateful, turning their anger towards the man.

With the panda in hand, I gave it to Alana. "I guess she already knows they're Yanderes...and she's one too. So, that display I guess shouldn't be too horrible..." She didn't seem to be fazed, taking the Panda gratefully. It was about two feet tall.

"I'm glad you got it!" Rosa exclaimed, smiling brilliantly, "I didn't know your uncle could shoot!"

"Hehe...He's good at games," She praised, looking towards me, a fondness in her eyes as I felt myself grow self-conscious, "Besides...This is for you."

Turning towards Rosa, she handed the panda to her who took it with eyes wide, a blush across her face.

"R-Really?" She asked, hugging the panda to her, "I...But you wanted it?"

"Yeah, I saw you looking at it," Alana smiled, shrugging, "So I thought I'd try and win it for you..."

"You...did?" Rosa muttered, hugging the panda harder, hiding her blushing face into it.

The look on Alana's face was priceless, and the fear and worry I felt for her finding love vanished. There was a softness in Alana's eyes, and a knowing look was exchanged between me and her as she held a finger to her lips. Alana knew Rosa liked her, and it seemed that Alana liked Rosa. "Alana...you smooth girl."

"Well...let's carry on," I said, motioning to the next game.

Leaving the man behind with the angry mob of parents, each subsequent game went better than the last as the vendors quickly un-rigged their games for fear of what happened to the previous man.

-----

There has to be something Alex is good at :P And games it is. Definitely more coordinated than I am...I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Lol. That aside, I think it's rather cute seeing Alana try and get prizes for Rosa. She's a smart kid and isn't blind.

Also, a small poll. For those who didn't read the previous chapter, and for those who did, you know that Alex is calling Yuriko by her first name now, Scarlett. For those who didn't read last chapter because it's not their thing, a summary of the events: Yuriko has bad memories of being called Scarlett. Memories she wants to overwrite with better ones with Alex. To become his Scarlett. That's the TL;DR of last chapter. :)

Of course, for the sake of consensus, do you prefer Yuriko or Scarlett? Poll below. I'd appreciate your opinion and may use that to continue forward. Thank you. :)

Do you prefer the name Yuriko or Scarlett for the character? Why?
  • Yuriko (Familiarity) Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yuriko (Sounds Better) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuriko (Familiarity/Sounds Better) Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Scarlett (Sounds Better) Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Scarlett (For Plot) Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Scarlett (Sounds Better/For Plot) Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Doesn't Matter To Me/I Like Both Votes: 9 42.9%
Total voters: 21
3