Chapter 97: Welcome to the Family
237 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 97:

Welcome to the Family

"Please, have a seat," My Mother-in-law said as she motioned to the chairs before us, "I've prepared some tea and snacks so that you may rest while we chat."

Taking a seat across from her, Cecelia and Scarlett took either side of me. Her eyes watched us as we sat, sitting herself. She never lost the amused look as her attendants took up positions behind her.

"So...Alex," She said as I looked apprehensively at all the various cakes and other treats, "Tell me...You love my daughter's?"

"Mother..." Cecelia groaned, "Come now. You know the answer."

"I want to hear it from him," She stated simply.

"M-Mother..." I found the word a bit strange, but kept with it for now, "Yes, I love them."

"Do you?" She asked, her eyes unwavering, "I mean...really love them?"

"Is this a test?" I always hated tests, but I could understand her concern. Cecelia went to protest, but I held up my hand. Shaking my head towards her, I smiled confidently.

"I got this," I told her, holding Cecelia's hand firmly, "Miss Ishikawa-Alden...Mother..."

Taking a deep breath, I collected myself as I closed my eyes. Upon opening them, I met her gaze as best I could. Unwavering as I spoke from the heart.

"With my entire being," I stated with confidence, "From the depths of my heart and very soul, I love Cecelia. I cherish Scarlett. The love I hold for them goes beyond anything I've ever felt."

"Hmm, interesting," She took a cup, and one of her attendants filled it with tea.

She watched me as she stirred in some sugar and a bit of milk. Lifting it to her lips, she blew on it before taking a sip.

"Would you die for them?" The question was sudden as she set her cup down.

"Yes," I answered without hesitation, surprised even at myself for answering as quickly as I did, even before anyone could protest the question, "However..."

Looking around at them, I felt my heart warm.

"They'd not like that," Returning my gaze towards her, I shrugged, "So while I would, they wouldn't let me. So, no. I wouldn't die for them, and they better not die for me. To do so would be to deprive one of the other."

"...He really is a smooth talker, isn't he?" Their mother asked Cecelia as she raised an eyebrow, "Quite charming...and I see you've noticed them?"

Suddenly, she pulled back the keyhole in her dress, showing me the large scar burned into her skin. It looked like something jagged cut into her flesh, and then burned it. My heart immediately went out to her as my face frowned in sorrow.

"Quite honest, isn't he?" She asked as she readjusted her dress.

There was a silence for a while before Cecelia spoke.

"He is kind," Cecelia said softly, "A bleeding heart. He knows about...him."

"Then, you understand earlier?" She asked me, taking another sip from her cup.

"...Yeah," I nodded, "It took me a moment, but I realized someone like you wouldn't just attack someone for no reason."

"Quite right," She smiled bittersweetly, "That bastard...a hot iron poker. Tried taking it to Cecelia..."

She motioned to the scar she just showed me.

"Mother..." Cecelia's tone became sorrow filled, and I realized just how much she loved her mother.

I was glad that everything earlier resolved peacefully. Cecelia was right, it would have broken her heart to have to harm her mother, but for me...she'd do it. That's how much she loved me. It tore at my heart as I felt the tears come unabated.

"W-What the hell?" I asked, laughing to myself as I began to wipe away at my tears, "Damn it..."

"My love..." Cecelia wrapped her arms around me, "What is it? Do not worry...our mother is fine now."

"I-It's not that..." I shook my head against her, "Earlier...what you said. How it would break your heart...I just realized how true that was. How much it would hurt...and how I never want you to have to. You love me that much, but she is your mother...she..."

"Shhh," Cecelia soothed, my words choked up as she held me, "It's alright...I'd do anything for you."

"I-I know..." I hiccupped, holding onto her now, "Just...never hurt your family..."

"...Alright, my love," She held me warmly, her hand brushing the back of my head, "Relax. I promise you..."

"What a soft, kind boy..." I heard their mother whisper, a gentleness to her words, "Welcome to the family, Alex. You two better take care of him."

"That goes without saying," Cecelia told her confidently as I finally began to collect myself.

"S-Sorry..." Apologizing, I dried my eyes as my heart finally behaved itself.

"Nonsense," Their mother dismissed, "Anyone who feels that away about my girls...about our family, is definitely welcomed here. Understood? Make sure everyone knows. Not one hair is to harm this boy's head, or those who came with him."

"Yes, Lady Yumei," The man saluted, his voice smooth, yet deep, "It shall be done."

"Excellent...now then," She smiled, motioning to the cakes and treats before us, "Please, eat up."

-----

Short and sweet chapter.

2