Chapter 110: Adoption
156 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 110:

Adoption

Both Alana and I stared at Dolores, my mind racing a million miles an hour. "Did she really just ask that?" Me? Adopting Alana? I always thought of her as my own daughter, but to actually adopt her? Dolores had never wanted to give Alana up. This was all too sudden.

"Mother!" Alana exclaimed, standing from her seat, "What about you? You're my mother."

"Alana...my dear," Dolores tried her best to sooth the shocked anger in Alana, "I may have given birth to you, but that is the only thing I ever did that was good."

"This isn't right..." I felt frozen in place. Something about this felt off.

"Dolores..." I called quietly, ushering Alana to sit back down, "Are you sure about this? You're her mother. You should be there...you shouldn't just...get rid of her."

It was then that I knew why it felt wrong. It felt like Dolores was getting rid of her. Dumping her off like she usually did.

"No, Alex," Dolores shook her head as she gazed softly at us both, "I'm not getting rid of her...she'll always be my daughter, but with you...she can truly be a daughter. Properly taken care of. Something I can no longer do..."

"That's bullshit!" Alana yelled, her hand in mine squeezing with surprising strength, "I've been a daughter, I've-"

"Alana," Dolores's soft words cut through hers, "Who is it that's always been there for you?"

There was a silence as no one answered. We knew the answer. "Me..."

"Even when this happened...he was the first to step up," She smiled towards me, "For that, you have my eternal gratitude."

"She's family..." I said simply.

"Yes," Dolores nodded, "Family, and more of a daughter to you than to me."

"That's not fair..." Alana's eyes began to fill with tears, "I love Uncle...he's the closest thing to a father I ever had..."

"Then why are you crying?" Dolores asked, laughing gently, "You should be happy."

"Because..." Alana looked up at her mother, "You're finally better...but now I don't even...I don't..."

"Ah...Alana..." Comforting her the best I could, I think I understood what was going on.

"She has a lot to talk with you about," I told Dolores, "Talk it out...When that's over, you come get me."

Turning Alana towards me, I held her by the shoulders gently.

"Talk with her...you have a lot to say," I smiled warmly as she averted her eyes, "Remember, I love you. The choice is yours."

"...Uncle," She spoke softly, wrapping her arms around me, "Thank you. Let me talk with mom."

Nodding, I let go of her as I left the room. Meeting up with everyone, I wasn't ready to talk yet. Waiting in Cecelia's embrace, I was anxious as the hours went on. Finally, a message from Alana called me back in.

Entering, I saw the red in their eyes. The puffiness from crying. Alana ran to me, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I held her there gently as I looked to my sister.

"Everything alright?" I asked, rather worried.

"Yes, Alex," She nodded, smiling, "I'm not fit to care for her. They say I'll be going somewhere peaceful...to help with the trauma. I don't think I'll ever be able to care for her, but I love her, and she knows it."

Alana's arms tightened around me as Dolores spoke.

"So...?" Looking down at Alana, she met my gaze as she nodded.

"I guess...You're not an uncle anymore," She laughed, teasing me.

"Ha..." Placing a hand on top of her head, I felt a weight be placed on me, "Are you sure?"

"Please, Alex," Dolores shook her head, "Don't ask again. It was hard enough coming to this decision even after our talk."

"Alright..." Taking a breath, I looked to Dolores, "Do you want to meet them?"

"...Yes," Dolores nodded, and one by one I introduced them to my new family.

Julius stayed back for the same reason I did, but he introduced himself properly. Cecelia wasn't as shocked as I thought she'd be. Pulling her off to the side, I had to ask.

"How long has she been awake?" I looked coolly into my wife's eyes.

"...A week," Cecelia answered, guilt over her face, "I'm sorry, I-"

"Don't," Reaching a hand up to her cheek, I simply took a deep breath, "You talked to her about this, didn't you."

"Yes," Cecelia smiled apologetically, "I didn't want to bother you until she was ready, or for that matter...you were ready."

"...Thank you," I replied, kissing her much to her surprise.

"You're not upset?" She was genuinely shocked, which was rather cute.

"No," I laughed lightly, shaking my head, "But to see you so shocked...it's cute."

Narrowing her eyes she smiled mischievously.

"Was the adoption her idea?" I motioned to my sister talking with everyone.

"Yes," Cecelia nodded, "Though I may have mentioned it as a possibility...She didn't seem too keen on it."

"...Until now," I sighed, leaning against the wall, "She saw Alana and me...and saw how well she was doing, and made her decision."

"That's why she wanted to meet," Cecelia told me, "She wanted to see Alana, but figured you'd be with her."

It explained why she wasn't so surprised, and why she looked better than most since she didn't just wake up. I smiled lovingly at the scene before me. My sister was awake, and whether she recovers or not...the important thing was that she is alive.

With the day winding on, we left so that Dolores may rest, but not before saying our goodbyes.

"Stay well, Dolores," I told her, Alana hugging my arm, "I'll take care of Alana, don't worry."

"I know you will," Dolores smiled warmly, "You can always visit whenever I'm settled in...though I don't know how often."

"Okay..." Alana answered softly.

With one final hug, Alana said farewell to her mother. The documents were easily brought forth and signed. Right there in the hospital room, Alana became my daughter.

-----

Pretty sure most of you saw this adoption coming. It didn't happen sooner because of Dolores still being in a coma, but...Alana now has no worries in ever going back to the life she had before.

0