Chapter 114: Genetics
178 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 114:

Genetics

Cecelia was pregnant. It was the best news I had ever heard. My mother, blood mother that is, was over the moon. My father was proud of me, and my brother and his wife were happy for me. Their son, John II, didn't really care much, but he still knew it was a happy occasion, and surprisingly congratulated me.

They stayed for a few days, a way to make the trip worth it. We showed everyone around Japan, and I was overly conscious of Cecelia the entire way. Something I don't think I'd stop being the entire time. I was nervous, I was happy, but more than anything I was just overwhelmed with everything.

Cecelia found it cute, but I felt like the biggest mess ever. I didn't know which way was up, let alone down. She calmed me down, laughing the entire time. I felt horrible, but she didn't mind. Even when she was pregnant, she was caring for me. It should definitely be the opposite.

After my parents and brother left, everything began to settle down again. Though the buzz remained even afterwards. I was going to be a father. Not just to Alana.

There was so much going through my head that I couldn't just sit still. There was a lot on my mind, and so I decided to head to the office where Cecelia was working. As I neared the door, I began to hear voices on the other side. Being of a more natural design, this home didn't have many automatic doors. So, as I grew closer, the door was made of regular wood and didn't open upon approach.

"....child be safe?" It was Cecelia's voice, and it actually sounded worried.

"Of course," It was mother's voice, Yumei, "The child will be born healthy. There's no need to worry."

"Alex doesn't know, yet," Cecelia sighed, "He's a sensitive man. I don't want him to worry."

"If you're worried, he definitely would be," Mother laughed lightly.

"What are they talking about?" I felt a little guilty listening in like this, but they were still keeping secrets from me, and it was about the child. Our child. I was sure of it.

"I just don't know how to tell him..." Cecelia sounded quite distressed, "What they did...It affected all of us. We're some of the first, so the effects are...widely unknown."

"Our family has researched it for years, my child," Mother comforted, "I was among the first for the real tests, and that...bastard sped it up."

"...I know, Mother," Cecelia's words held affection and sadness, "I am sorry..."

"Don't be," They dismissed, and I heard some movement, "Perhaps...you should speak with him though."

"Oh shi-" The door to the office opened, and there before me stood my mother-in-law. Her kind smile as she looked down at me sneaking around brought a flush to my face. Behind her, Cecelia looked on in slight surprise. Her face was full of concern.

"Stand up, my son," Mother straightened me up, her hands patting my shoulders gently, "Go, talk to her rather than skulking out here."

"Y-Yeah...Sorry," I smiled awkwardly, but she dismissed it as she walked by, pushing me inside as the door closed.

I stood there, awkward and unsure what to say. Cecelia sat behind her desk, looking at me with tender eyes.

"Come, my love..." She stood, striding over to me as she took me by the arm, "There's something I need to discuss with you."

I could feel the gravity of the situation. Feeling my heart beat rapidly, I followed her. She led me over to a nearby couch where she sat me down, followed by her next to me.

"What...were you two talking about?" I asked quietly.

"How much did you hear?" She asked back.

"...Something about our child," I answered, looking over at her with worry, "And something that...bastard did. What did your mother mean by she was the first?"

"Ah...so you heard that," For the first time I saw Cecelia hesitate, reaching for my hands, she held them affectionately in hers.

Twisting my fingers over, she played with them. I waited, for I saw how she thought of wording everything. I knew how that was, and there was no rush.

"Take your time, my love," I smiled softly, "If it's difficult to speak of, then-"

"No," Cecelia interrupted, smiling warmly, "But you're kind to say so."

So took a moment, composing herself.

"Alex," She whispered, stilly playing with my hands, "I love you, and want to be with you forever. You know that, right? No matter what, I'll make sure of it."

"I know," I replied, getting concerned, "And I love you, always. I will be with you for as long as I live. You know that."

"Yes...I do," She smiled that brilliant smile, "And...if I were to tell you that might be a long time, what would you say?"

My heart pounded in my chest as I thought about her words. "What does she mean?" Her eyes shifted to me, taking me in as her smile turned tender.

"I see you don't understand," She wasn't condescending, but gentle as said this, "Alex, I know you wonder how I'm so strong. How we all are. After all, you don't see cybernetics, right?"

The suddenness of this caught me a bit off-guard.

"I...Yeah," I nodded, taking a breath to steady my heart, "But...what's that got to do with this right now?"

"...Everything," Cecelia's words kind as she held my gaze, "Alex, we are modified, but not in the typical sense. Our family, for many generations have tried to figure out how to keep our bloodline healthy. I don't get sick. None of us do, and soon...neither will you."

"My love?" I asked, quite confused, "I've gotten sick before though, and-"

"I said, my love," She interrupted with a light laugh, "That you won't get sick anymore, soon."

"I...don't understand," I was truly lost.

"Growing up, you've gotten sick, right?" She asked, to which I nodded, "But it never lasted."

"No, it didn't," I responded, shrugging, "Maybe a day or two."

"That...was because of me," Her words held a gravity to them, "Alex, my family is genetically modified. To an insane degree."

"What...do you mean?" It was the only thing I could ask as I found myself suddenly plunged into the cold waters of the unknown.

It wasn't that I held no suspicion, but she was also referring to me in a way. She spoke as if it applied to me.

"I don't get sick. I age slowly," She brought my hand up to her cheek, "I will remain young for a very, very long time. I don't know how long. It's new...but I couldn't live a life without you."

She began to explain to me that her family did experiments for many generations. A way to prevent them from getting sick and growing old. Yet, there was never a real concrete solution. The best they could do was make them near immune to all poisons, and they could never get sick.

Her mother was the first they ever tested the final strain of the modification on. It was why she looked so young, despite being, to my shock, over a hundred years old. Their ancestors wanted the Ishikawa-Alden to rule forever. In other words, they searched for immortality. It wasn't perfect, but in her mother laid the foundation.

The Ishikawa-Alden have been strong due to genetic modification. When their father entered the picture, he discovered this. He saw an opportunity, and he took it. He used their mother as a test subject before applying it to his own children. What was already modified, he multiplied.

Cecelia was stronger, faster, and more resilient than any living person to this day. Scarlett and Julius included. There was a reason Cecelia never got injured. She regenerated. It all felt like some science fiction, but I lived in a society where body modifications were tools to enhance and further oneself. Where you had the world at your fingertips. Literal androids and AI lived among us.

This was definitely nearing the peak of what I could accept, but I've seen the results. How easy it was for her to crush a man with one hand. How she effortlessly moved and flowed. The glowing of her eyes...were a result of this. I never imagined it, they really did glow.

"I...didn't want to live without you," She finished, gazing guiltily into my eyes, "I've...modified you over the years. Slowly, so you wouldn't notice, but it's taking a hold more now."

"Wait...You...modified me?" I felt a bit of fear and anger rise in me, but it was tempered with the knowledge that she wouldn't do this for no reason, "Why?"

"I told you...I didn't want to live without you," She held my cheek, and for the first time in my life, I saw fear in her eyes, "I would have lived long after you. Watched you grow old...die. I couldn't...I wouldn't do that."

The fear in her eyes changed to one of fierce determination.

"Remember, I said I was watching...waiting," Her thumb caressed my cheek, "I planned on finding you later in life, when you were lost and confused at why you didn't age. Why you watched everyone else grow old...While you remained."

"So...Am I also as strong as you?" I asked looking in disbelief at my rather weak arms.

"Ha...that's what you're asking?" Cecelia's laughter was soothing, and I felt myself become rather embarrassed.

"I-I mean...yeah?" I laughed awkwardly as I shrugged, "I admit, I was shocked at first. Even angry, but...it all just washed away. Maybe I'm more messed up than I thought, but..."

Leaning forward, I explained to her my thoughts. I loved her, more than anything in this world. Scarlett, Sadia. Both of them were two people I loved very dearly as well, but Cecelia was the first. I knew she had her proclivities, but even those I loved.

I was definitely upset she did this without me knowing, but at the same time...I was extremely touched. She loved me so much, she was willing to literally spend her entire life with me. If that meant being experimented on without knowing, then so be it. Call me crazy, but I couldn't really be upset.

"I love you, Cecelia," I smiled, holding her hands tightly, "So...will I be as strong as you?"

"Haha, love, really?" She simply shook her head in disbelief, "You're unbelievable...but, no. Not right away. I was born modified, and then experimented on even more by my father. With you, I took my time to not shock your system. One day, you will be strong. Maybe not as strong, but strong."

Looking at my hands, I smiled. "I'll be able to protect them..." They were my only thoughts, but one more came to me. "Alana...my family. Everyone else..."

"I see your worries," Cecelia's hand fell to my shoulder, "I've talked with Sadia. She has already agreed. The modification has already happened. She endures well...As for everyone else, it is their choice, and-"

"They know already, don't they? Alana and Rosa?" I sighed, leaning back exasperated as she nodded, "I'm always the last to know..."

"Sorry, my love," She said sympathetically, brushing my hair out of my face as she caressed me affectionately, "I knew they were important to you, and so I approached them first."

"...It's alright," I smiled, shrugging, "I'm glad...they won't be leaving me so soon."

"No, they won't, and neither will I," She stated, reaching for my hand as she placed it upon her belly, "Nor will our child...I was worried that the extra experiments my father did would harm our child, but...Mother assures me that they'll be healthy."

I was relieved at her words, because of mother said it, then I believed it. I sat there with Cecelia, hand on her stomach as I marveled at my life. Genetic modification, experiments of longevity and enhanced senses. I always felt like I was stronger sometimes than I normally would be. The perception I prided myself in wasn't for nothing.

How often was I surprised by how I moved and just how much force I exerted. Even though my asthma was still a part of me, I found it curious how I could still run despite being out of breath. Even as the iron filled my mouth, I was able to push past it. Move in ways I didn't know I could. It was like my life was truly beginning.

-----

I hope this doesn't come as a shock to you. I hinted a few times throughout the story at some changes in Alex (not a lot and very vague), and alluded to something being different with Cecelia and her family. In this world, genetic modification is more than science fiction, it's a reality.

They will live a long time together, and as for Alex not being too surprised or upset...throughout the story he's been suspicious of something. He knows Cecelia enough by this point she'd never harm him. If anything, he's happy. He won't live without her. So, I hope this wasn't too much of a shock to most of you.

1