Chapter 43. Quidditch Practice
3.9k 4 153
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night, I left on my own to the secret home that Dumbledore let me use for nights such as this. The descending sun took with it the warmth it gave, the cold night air quickly taking its place. A took a breath, the warm air from my lungs forming a small cloud that rose above the Whomping Willow I stood under. Branches were broken and torn, showcasing the damages I heard Weasley and Potter did on their entry. The tree slowly shook awake, noticing my presence, so I pressed on the portion I had come to know well, freezing its lethargic movements.

 

“Ugh… I really need to clean this…” I muttered, dusting off my robes from the dirt that sprinkled itself on as I crawled through the small hole under the Willow’s roots. The damp stone under my feet, threatening to seep into my shoes, as the rainwater pooled in this very spot. I made my way through the darkened cave, a long walk that was only aided from my condition that helped me see through the darkness. Finally reaching the trap door at the top of the stone steps I pushed on the old metal handle.

 

The room had come far from how it originally was, there was no way I would be sleeping comfortably in a sty. The dust that covered everything had returned from my long departure, however the wooden floorboards that were cracked and rotten had been fixed. Along with the torn wallpaper and bed sheets. I easily used my spells to remove the dust all around me, silently wishing I could remove the boards on the windows to let some fresh air inside. The musky scent of mildew, while weakened, was still noticeable.

 

But I knew that the boards were best to stop shattering glass from my episodes, and causing too much of a scene that others might notice, only sought to increase their curiosity over what might be inside. There was no way I could risk that, so I just left them alone, only repairing them for the tears and splinters they had. I removed my clothes, not wanting my magical release to destroy them again, and nestled under the covers, the coldness of the night, and the sheets unbothered me as the energy within me kept me warm, almost too warm.

 

The next day I woke up feeling refreshed. I let out a contented sigh, while stretching from the fetal position I was resting in. All of the pent up energy was now gone, and I felt at ease, all of the tension released, much like my mother describes massages she sometimes gets for her stiff shoulders. 

After getting dressed, I made my way back out of the Willow, and inside the school, ready to feed Val, and take him with me for classes. However, going through the halls, I immediately noticed something wrong with everyone I passed. Their gazes looked somewhat unnerved. Their common day conversations had a backdrop of fear. Everyone except Slytherin students.

 

Later at breakfast, Pansy was late, leaving me only to talk with Draco. “I heard you went to sleep early last night.” He said with a smile. “You missed out on something big.” He continued, itching to gossip. I glanced at him with confusion, feeding Val under the table. “What happened?” Draco smirked while leaning closer. “Last night, someone petrified Filch's cat.” I stuttered in shock at the strange news. “Why? I hate Filch as much as anyone, but why go after his cat?”

 

Draco’s grin widened. “A warning. The cat was next to a message in blood saying that the chamber opened again, ‘enemies of the heir beware’.” My stomach immediately sank, realizing the unsure glances from the other Houses. I remembered vaguely the stories of the Chamber of Secrets, which that message appeared to be referring to. However I was left worried over who opened it, and how they might judge those they deemed ‘enemies’. I was someone free from Mudblood beliefs.

 

“Anyway!” Draco yelled, moving the conversation along. “Today is the first day for Quidditch Practice! You’re going right?” I sighed, not doing well on riding a broom. I had problems controlling it even without my magical build-up. “Draco, I don’t know…” I mumbled while eating some more of my meal. “Don’t worry, Victoria says that just having you watch the practices to get a feel for our formations is good enough.”

 

I frowned, knowing what her plan was. In the few matches that I haphazardly helped in, they had records for Bludger hits on the enemy team. Getting me to watch practice was just getting the foot in the door for me to help coach alongside her, then just becoming the captain for her to stand out in the field with my helpful commentary. I didn’t want to spend my time in this endeavor, but Draco’s pleading expression, mixed with my desire to avoid standing out (like rejecting an offer any other Slytherin would have taken) steered me along. “Sure.”

 

Draco cheered, and we soon were on our way to the field. Luckily I didn’t need to wear the uniform, since I wouldn’t be on the field. While we were on our way, we ran into Pansy, noticing my predicament with my parents, wanting me to join in Quidditch ‘for the memories’. “Perhaps I’ll watch with you. I did have a few questions over the spells we are going to be doing in Transfiguration today.” She excused herself as she took the spot beside me, smirking at my silent gratitude towards her.

 

While cutting through the courtyard, we all noticed the Gryffindor team cutting through the courtyard as well. “Where do you think you’re going, Flint?” The captain, Oliver Wood asked, folding his arms in exasperation. “Quidditch practice.” He announced the second in command to Victoria, who was already waiting at the field for us. “I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today, Flint…” He said, not amused. I really didn’t mind if our practice was canceled, so I just stayed quiet. “Relax Wood, I’ve got a note.” 

 

Flint then produced a rolled up parchment, before Wood angrily grabbed at it. He unfurled it, and began reading out loud while the rest of our team snickered. “‘I, Professor Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin Team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.’ You’ve got a new seeker?” Wood asked, rolling the parchment back up, clearly wondering if he should just crumple it up instead. Everyone then made way, and looked over at Draco beside me.

 

Pansy and I both gasped as Draco walked in front. “I wanted it to be a bit of a surprise, but I guess this’ll do.” He shrugged, smirking at the both of us. “That’s the Nimbus 2001’s! Those are the newest on the market! How’d you get those!?” A sudden voice yelled in disbelief, causing all of us to turn and see Ron, Hermione, and even Chiara standing at the sidelines. Ron’s jaw hanging from seeing the black and pristine brooms. “A gift from Draco’s father.” Flint announced, shining his broom with his uniform.

 

“You see Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best.” Draco smirked, snidely. Hermione grit her teeth in anger, her poisoned tongue itching to strike back for her friend. “At least nobody on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in, they got in on pure skill.” Draco’s smirk immediately faltered, causing Hermione’s to grow in response at his downfall. However, he took a step towards her, his gaze filled with hatred for her. He only stopped when Chiara silently placed her arm in front of Hermione to protect her. He glanced between the two and rolled his eyes, smirking again. “Say what you will, but it won't be long until your kind, and any of those who protect you are gone from Hogwarts… Permanently…. Filthy Mudblood.” He finally muttered at the end.

 

Hermione gasped, she felt Chiara's tug of assurance to help calm her, but that nasty word pierced her heart like a dagger. “You’ll pay for that Malfoy, Eat Slugs!” It was then that Hermione saw Ron get sent back from his own spell, and fell right on his back.

 

I watched with a smile at Weasley’s puking up of slugs, chuckling with the rest of the Slytherin’s as we moved towards the field, trying my best to hide the fear of somehow it coming to light of my beliefs, and being hunted down. I clutched at my chest while congratulating Draco on his new position in the team.

153