B1: Ch 6: Heir Arrival
39 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noon. High point of the sun. Hottest time of the day. So, a woman in all black clothing that is clearly not a mourning dress would stand out when riding through the middle of main street even without how clearly expensive the fabrics that she wore were. Even the larger than normal height of the horse gave more credence to the idea in anyone's head who gazed upon her that she was an important person, meaning no one dared to get near her, or meet her harsh one eyed gaze. She was the picture of regal, effortlessly exemplifying that mystical trait that the great leaders in stories were always said to exude, and with little effort on her part. It was not the aura of power, or leadership, but one of self confidence in oneself mixed with the pride of having the power to control an entire countries fate. 

The gates of the capital could be seen ahead, so let's wait for her there and discuss a little about why her arrival would be easily the most astonishing event between the two countries since the war slash invasion slash colonization thirteen years prior.

The last time a Hustarian Royal willingly entered the capital under their own name was fifty years ago. Second Prince Pater Volim Vask was invited by the father of the previous king to a dinner, as a supposed show of brotherhood between the countries. When came the dinner, the prince was beaten, strung up between horses and torn apart and then had his head put on a pike. The crime he had was a unconfirmed rumored relationship with the King's much younger brother, that the King found disgusting and immoral. The brother was also later found guilty of sodomy and forced into an exile and a marriage with his cousin who was also suspected of immorality and forced to bear him five children as punishment. They died in a double suicide not long after the verdict and despite clear signs that the two weren't lovers, historians painted them as such, doomed lovers accused of sin that drove them to prove their devotion by the most drastic of means.

To say that the soon to be arrival of Stasia and Dolsk was historic would be an understatement. It was something that anyone from either side of the border would deem impossible at any time past and present. It was more likely for the King to approve of his eldest daughter's marriage than to let a Hustarian Royal into his castle. There is nothing more unlikely than the invitation by the prince to the royals of Hustaria that one could think of. 

Dolsk was standing exuding only the aura of a bored rich man, not the aura of a leader by any chance and waiting by the arch as the clopping of hooves came closer and closer until the stench of equine musk assaulted his nose. The thump of the rider and the dust it kicked up caused him the look up toward his sister.

"Dolsky, you waited for me."

"I was merely curious if you'd show up."

"Really? Or was it more you're nervous in new places and get easily lost."

"I mean you have been here before. I wouldn't mind your help in guiding me to the castle- though that is all I will take from you."

"Dolsky, Dolsky, Dolsky. When I am queen, I will be allow you to take so much more than my ability as a tour guide." She winked at her brother.

"Ha! When you are queen? I am the eldest, Stasia. By right the crown is mine."

"Why is that the reason why you should lead?"

"It is how it always is. The eldest child is the next ruler as long as they are alive and fit to rule and I am clearly both."

"And, do you have any ideas for what you'd do with your rule, brother.?"

"Raise an army so that the embarrassment we are living through will never happen again and can never happen again."

"And how will that make better the lives of the people you rule?"

"How wouldn't it. A strong army means plenty of work. Much better than your plan."

"My plan is separate from my plans to rule. Besides, you want to see mother again as well."

"We could just ask someone from Feia Wa to speak to her, and it wouldn't require summoning that witch."

"So rude, that witch is the progenitor and could revive mother."

"Yeah, if it works. Nothing but old runic texts and vague instructions. You live in the past, I live in the future."

"We can have this discussion later. Best not to dally, brother."

"How are those two, by the way?"

"Dows and Quercia, you mean? Fine last I checked in on them."

"And what are they doing?"

"Nothing for which you should need worry about."

"I hope so. I will be the next King, no matter what dirty tricks you plan to do."

"You will make an attempt."

"I will succeed."

Stasia laughed, head cocking back said, "We shall see." Before walking into the city proper, her horse and brother following closely after. She breathed in the stagnant city air and smiled, "Just as worthless as I remember. Perhaps the conditions where our Kia sleeps now are better than where I once stayed during my time here."

"It is your fault you had to stay in those conditions sister. No one made you come here."

"That is false. I made myself come here."

A new voice interrupted, "Sister, Dolt."

Dolsk tsk'd and scowled, "Dowsrohe."

Stasia turned to the grinning non-binary interloper and smiled softly, "What a surprise. What news do you have for me?"

"The bait is too good at her job, she's already had Kia's personal guard take a liking to her and hire her as a temporary servant for your visit. To make you feel more at ease."

"And how long ago was Quercia hired?"

"Quercia?"

"Oh, that's the name she's probably choosing."

"Neat. And yesterday."

Dolsk coughed, "It will be nice to meet finally meet her now that she has object permanence."

"Yes, but don't do so in public. If the news that we even know someone from birth in the Royal staff who was just hired a day before our arrival, well there is no telling what people might say, think, or do about that."

"I can see how that could be taken badly."

Stasia turned back to Dowsrohe. "And our assets?"

"Please, Valter Viters is leading them perfectly and I even have time to side gig as a preacher to help stir up more support. That which you request will be yours, no doubt and no worry."

Stasia nodded, "Excellent. Well, go back to it."

They saluted and disappeared into the crowd. The brother and sister then turned and continued their way to the castle.

4