B1: Ch 7: Expedited Hire
77 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dowsrohe swore a little under their breath as they barely dodged the book that their younger sibling, no… Dows wouldn’t accept her half baked denial like that. They dodged the large tome that their younger sister had just tossed like an axe at their head. They glared back, their odd top green, bottom cursed eyes glaring back even through their unkempt dark brown hair. 

“The fuck asshole?” The eighteen year old asked the attempted murderer.

 Their sister glared, left eye green, right eye cursed hidden behind some of the bangs of her blond wig, having not enough patience to wait for her actual hair to grow to a style-able length. “Were you fucking listening?”

“Yes, nameless one, I was. Stasia and Dolsk are coming.”

“Well, Stasia is. Don’t know about the other one.”

“Right, you haven’t met him. He’s much too prideful not to come.”

“Is he as cunning as Stasia?”

“No, but he is more charismatic. Big cult leader energy.”

“And our sister, what is her plan?”

“Get in good with our princess and future king.”

“And what do you think the royals here are trying to accomplish?”

“Not having a genocide. Quite a messy affair.”

“And to do that, they’re going to trust two random strangers to show up and negotiate while neither hold the crown? Why don’t we show up, we are their little siblings, right?”

“I am the child of mother and the knight’s captain so I have no claim.”

“I can show up. I have two queens as mothers.” 

“You have two former queen consorts as mothers. Besides, you want to see anyone who lives in the castle?”

“The prisoner they keep as Ambassador.”

“Vala? Oh, trust me. She’s boring. And too old for you.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you as well, sis.”

She shook her head. “And when Stasia arrives, what are we to do?”

“Make sure the terrorists get to do the plan, and then ingratiate one of us with them while the other gets to die.”

“Be serious.”

“Okay, so one of us fakes dying.”

“And that one is you, I suppose?”

“I think I deserve a death. Besides, Stasia promised me a month off after this and I need it so…”

“I would be the more available person for the second part of the job.”

“Correct!”

“I should’ve just stayed with Medeow.”

“You’d never have been able to stand that country if you lived in it.”

“Seems better than this one.”

“At the moment, but the king isn’t immortal.”

“And then what? It will return to being mediocre at best?”

“For all people.” Dowsrohe grinned.

Their sister stood up and stretched. “And if I am to ingratiate myself, what is the plan? With this eye, I can only expect trouble.”

“If the guard worries you, she seems to be over the murder fear now from what I hear.”

“I was talking about Kia, not Sasha.”

“Ah, the big sister princess. Yeah, she did indirectly kill Sherwood, Sherry, whatever. Well, just play the role and things will find a way.”

“I need a role to play.”

“You’ll think of one. Maybe a terrorist who had a change of heart when she saw Amelia and fell in love.”

“That is disgusting, Dows.”

“It’s just a role. You can fake being in romantic love with the princess.”

“I would rather say I’m her sister than that.”

“So, you’re more into the murderer? Yeah, you are weak to tall women. That would work.”

“As would dragging your head to the local constable to be arrested, Gareth Farsworth.”

“Right. By the way, have you eaten?”

“N-no.”

“Then stop by Vem’s and also pay our board already. You keep forgetting it, Apera.”

“Yeah, yeah. Will do, Palomine.” She flipped them off as she stood up and walked away.

“Right, and by the way, you are free to start the role immediately.”

__

Sasha made her way through the lower streets, her armor alone clearing the way for her. It was a convenient extra that her job’s uniform provided her. Her boss had sent her to try the food a former friend of hers made- having sneaked out to try it a few times. And by sneaked out, Sasha meant she allowed her the freedom while having a few knights in the area keep and eye on her for safety. It had thankfully been nothing to worry about, though she was worried her own job would make it hard to enjoy a meal.

She fixed her bangs, trying to not meet the eyes of anyone. No one dared to anyhow, and no one wanted anything from her so she was free to glide into the refurbished bar and tax office that had a sign with a roast and a mug. 

It was small, crowded and full. On the wall was a sign that read: “Communal Tables. Expect guests if space is left, and don’t be a stranger.” 

There was a single booth with enough room for her, only one blonde figure in it. She made her way over and slid in, the figure only slightly glancing up from their Bratkartoffeln. They gave a grunt in greeting.

“I am not used to a establishment such as this, so excuse my intrusion. Um, exactly how do we order?”

A red painted nail pointed to a little bell on the side, on which a chalkboard tablet held the menu for the day. She read it and then rang the bell. A pale man with a polished bald head came and took her order.

“You have good taste, knight. Chicken Wraps with Frendish Sauce. That is what I would order.”

“Don’t listen to him, he’s only trying to get a bigger tip. And Vem pays enough that tips aren’t needed.” Her booth companion replied.

“Can I at least grift a Davil upper, lass?” He complained before leaving.

Sasha eyed over the girl, she was about fifteen, though closer to fourteen than Amelia was to sixteen. Her skin had that familiar tan that Amelia gained if she spent too much time in the sun, a gift from her mother. The left side of her golden hair was braided on the left side and her right bangs were loose and loosely covering her eye on that side. She was in a word, very pretty. Like the type of girls you’d see performing at an opera. 

“Sasha Falladay.” She offered her name and a hand.

The girl shook it, giving a sweet smile. “You may call me Apera for now.”

“For now?”

“It’s more of a title than a name, and I haven’t picked one yet.”

“Picked? I see. What did you order?”

“Xehuta Corn and Potato Dumplings.”

“I think my friend mentioned that, she said she loved it.”

“It was served by the church. The one by the orphanage. A lot of people my age have a taste for it.”

“Were you an orphan or did you just go for church?”

Both. I mean, most Hustarians my age are. After all, thirteen years ago did occur. Regardless, the church was open to all for lunch.”

“Right. I guess Amelia would be the type to be known by everyone, huh.”

Apera smiled slightly. “By the way, what friend does the guard of the princess have that would frequent here?”

Sasha laughed nervously. “Oh, just a Hustarian Servant.”

“Oh, so you are not friends with Kia?”

“You know her old name.”

“Birth name. Her mother named her not her father. We all call her that still. Pride type of thing, you get it right?”

“I see. And yes she is the friend. I see her disguise was poorly made.”

“No, no. I’m just good at remembering faces even when covered. By the way, what drink do you want?”

“Can you get me some wine?”

Apera stood up and went to the bar where an darker Davilk chatted with her and pour white wine into a glass and milk into another. She returned and slid the yellowish liquid over. “I do not understand why people like that taste.”

“Aren’t you young to have tasted wine?”

She blushed, “Um, ignore that.”

“I am a knight, a guard. I cannot ignore it with out a bribe.” She held out the plates that sat at the table and a very reluctant Apera piled some of her potatoes onto it. “Thanks for the donation.”

The food arrived soon after and the two dined. In the middle of her meal, Sasha thought to ask some of her opinions on the state of things.

“So… for no reason, what do you think of our king’s most recent decree.”

“It is to be expected from a man like him.”

“And the effects?”

“I think you’ll find Hustarians and Davilks alike in their hatred of the overcrowding we now have. This area is one of the few places you can get a place to stay and even then Vem is planning on down sizing a few apartments. The baker, a Hustarian mind you, is planning on moving back to his family farm.”

“That’s too be expected. What would you say most Hustarians would say to being repatriated to Hustaria?”

“Some would fine, but some have started to put down roots here and probably wouldn’t want to leave. Though I suppose those that are down here aren’t able to say no, unlike the half Davilks you let stay in the middle and upper.”

“And you?”

“I would rather not deal with finding out if another country is accepting of me. Besides I spent a year there a while back and it wasn’t really my style.”

“So, have you heard the rumors of the heirs?”

“Yes. Utter bullshit in my opinion. Way too much like a bad fairy tale.”

“Well, the prince sent message to the supposed heirs and they answered the call.”

“Two actors answered the call is more like it.” She blew her bangs back over to her right.

“I thought Hustarians were a hopeful people?”

“And I thought the personal guard of Kia was a crazed murderer who killed kids.”

“Oh… is that what people here think of me?”

“You slam a kid into a building, it kind of tends to stick.”

“That was… my bad. I was caught in stupid superstition.”

“Really?” Apera lifted her bang, holding it between two fingers revealing her eye. Her cursed eye.

Sasha winched a little, “Are you?”

“The dead? Ha! No, I am a just a fellow cursed one, same as my sibling who would usually sit in your seat.”

“I didn’t actually think that. I attended the funeral you know. In secret. Saw the ashes be buried.”

“Wow, how nice and not at all creepy.”

“My father made me.”

Apera laughed, “This has been fun, but I should get going.”

For some reason Sasha felt compelled to ask something as the younger girl stood up, “Would you mind a job? We don’t have any Hustarian servants outside of the kitchen and stables now, and I think it would help put at ease the Heirs.”

Apera’s face froze, and her left eye twitched. She seemed to be calculating something in  her head. “How much would the pay be?”

“A thousand.”

The girl’s eyes grew wide. “A thousand?”

“Yes, and an offer to continue as a servant when the Prince takes the crown.”

“I…” Apera stopped, face twisted into something resembling guilt, “I… yes. I need the cash.”

“Oh, thank the saints. That’s that out of the way. Glad I sat here.”

“I was the only open table.”

“It was fate then.” Sasha grinned, “And Amelia will have a friend near her age.”

Apera laughed a little. “I will also enjoy having someone that is my age to hang out with. Fuck, anyone other than Dows is nice.”

“So, can you start immediately?”

“I can.”

“I mean immediately, immediately. As in, with me now.”

“Wow, inviting a girl to your home when you just met her?” Apera grinned, trying to tease Sasha. 

The knight was quick to show that such actions weren’t going to work on her, leaning closer to the girl and smiling with a simple response, “Only for good girls.” While tracing a finger on Apera’s painted pink lips.

Apera grew bright red and stammered for a while until Sasha motioned for her to follow. She did, leaving the building, ignoring Vem’s teasing at his long time customer’s clear embarrassment. A few steps outside she finally managed to ask, “Can I please tell my sibling goodbye?”

“Yes, that is fine. Anything else? Like medicine?”

“If you mean for that, no. My friend in Septurn used her magic on me so it just goes all on it’s own.”

“I’ll wait here for you.”

Apera turned around and went into the alley behind restaurant. Sasha’s foot tapped against the ground as she waited for the new servant to return. She really hoped her softness for cute girls like Apera hadn’t hired someone dangerous, but she was pretty good at judging people and Apera felt harmless. Heck, she felt as if she was more liable to hurt Apera.

A few minutes passed and the Hustarian lass returned, skipping slightly.

“You ready?”

“Lead the way, boss.”

And towards the castle they went.

5