Chapter 29: I did not need to know this but now I’m invested
164 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“All alooone! With no oooone to hooold on!” says Dewey.

The two of us are inside a karaoke booth.

How did the mixer turn out? Not well…

The women bombarded me with questions. They seemed to be very interested in my patented ‘shy boy act™’. I, being a master of avoiding things, didn’t want to deal with them. So pivoted my ‘shy boy act™’ and turned into the ‘pervy I’m a nice guy act™’.

They lost interest after that. Dewey, however, was also unsuccessful. I believe they could smell his desperation from a mile away. The others had some luck. They might have succeeded. However.

It did not matter in the end. Takuto’s wife found him. The rest was history.

His wife was a warrior in her past life. For the first time in my life. I realized an umbrella can kill a man.

“All aloone in the traaaain. Alone even in the raaaaain!” says Dewey.

Dewey, you sound so pathetic right now.

“Dewey, don’t be so sad.”

“My bastard beest frieeend. He stole my girlfrieeend!”

That is not in the lyrics.

“Bro. Are you even interested in these flings? You’ve never been this desperate,” I say.

“He leeectures me sooo. Heee briings me so low!”

What is he mad about? I took the mic in his hand.

“I did no wroong. So let’s get aloong,” I say.

He takes back the mic.

“He is beeetter at siiinging. Even beeetter at fuc—.”

Alright, let’s stop this.

“Dewey, are you sad about it? Where’s the Dewey I know who laughs at loud even when the girl he likes pushed him down the stairs?”

That one was pretty messed up, though. I thought he was a psycho then.

“I could withstand them before. But they have taken a toll on me, brother.”

“What changed? Did the rejections finally get to you?”

“You changed!”

“Me?”

“I used to look at you as my pillar of support!”

What? Is he gay for me or something?

“You got married! Seeing your radiant face filled me with such bad feelings! Bring back the old you! The one with wasted talents! Give him back to me!”

Dewey grabs my collar. I slapped his head. Hard. He falls to the floor.

“Dewey, you’ve forced my hand. You annoyed me too much!”

I grab the grab the mic and select a song.

“No, don’t you dare!” says Dewey.

It shows up on the screen.

‘To my only Hilda by Dewey of Love,’

A somber tune plays out. Dewey grabs onto his chest and his face contorts in pain. I sing.

My lovely Hilda

Let me build a

Life with you!

 

All the things I pursue

It’s all for you

You know it’s true

So don’t say we’re through!

 

Even in the afterlife

I’ll wait

So don’t stab that knife!

Into my heart!

 

No matter the distance

We’ll find our balance

No matter the instance

Let’s keep our romance!

“Stop! You bastard! Don’t you dare bring her up!”

Dewey tries to stand, but he instead falls to his knees. I’m doing this for you! Alright, maybe it’s a little fun for me too…

You know I won’t forget you

Why do you say that I will leave you?

Don’t you know how much I love you?

 

I’m not asking for much

Just keep in touch

Together we are stronger

Let’s try a little longer

 

My precious Hilda

Please

Don’t break my heeeaaart!

Dewey curled up into a fetal position. Tears flow down his eyes. Every single time he hears this song, he breaks down like this.

You said you still loved me

And I also love you

No one will disagree

So let’s push through

 

No matter the distance

We’ll find our balance

No matter the instance

Let’s keep our romance!

 

My queen, I’ll be your king

I have this ring

I hope you’ll bring

Forever I will sing!

 

My only Hilda

Let me live a

Life with you!

The music ends, and I stare at Dewey, who is sobbing like a child.

Image

[collapse]

This song is famous worldwide. Yes, Dewey wrote and performed this song for his childhood sweetheart turned lover. They were together from early childhood to early adult life.

Dewey is a top-notch singer. He’s even called the prodigy of the century. He is that good. His face is unknown because he was obese when he was a singer. He looks very different now.

I don’t believe he’s serious about these mixers and dates he goes to because he hasn’t moved on yet. Their breakup is complicated.

Sister Hilda went back to Damar Gygaldom, her home across the sea. She had to manage their family business being the sole child. Dewey was a singer back then, but changing locations would have grim consequences for his career. He was famous in Anor, but not worldwide.

I don’t know the specifics, as he won’t talk about it. The gist of it is. He wanted to go with her, however, she didn’t want him to waste his blossoming career, so she broke up with him. Did it go like that? I hate not knowing the juicy details!

Anyway, after that he made this one global hit song (the one I sang) that became part of the top ten in all countries. Tried to give sis Hilda all the money, but when she didn’t take it, he gambled all his money away. He would’ve been homeless at one point if not for me and gramps’ support.

“It’s been five years already! She’s probably moved on already and you’re still hung up on her like this!”

“No! I’ve moved on!”

“Let me see your phone, then!”

The background picture is no longer a picture of them. Last month, it was still their picture in there. It’s an improvement?

“See, I’ve moved on already!”

I click on his browser. Sister Hilda doesn’t is not active on online media, so Dewey used to find updates about her through searches. ‘Hilda Planch’ is what I see first. I don't understand why he gave me his phone if he won’t hide it.

“Are you stupid? You’re still searching for her! Are you even trying?”

“Give it back!”

 Dewey changes the background picture into a picture of them again. He’s regressed.

“Dewey bro… She broke up with you. You should learn to let go.”

“It’s not that simple. She is not in a new relationship. She’s waiting for me!”

“Where do you find this information?”

“Georgette keeps in contact with me.”

Sis Georgette? Sis Hilda’s best friend? So, she wanted to cut off contact but her best friend didn’t? Is it just me, or is this sounding complicated?

Dewey’s more of a lady killer than I thought.

Sounds fun.

Send hearts to heal Dewey's broken heart.

7