Chapter 50: Sing your lungs out like an idiot
124 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m in a karaoke booth with Dewey. How did we get here? Well, we were arguing about who the best character in the show ‘Will you still love me’ is. He said we can decide by competition. The Winner’s chosen character will be the best.

It’s the first to three wins. I’m already up two games to zero. We counted the first fight, and this idiot challenged me to a tennis match for the next one. I obliterated him. Absolutely destroyed him.

I made him pick the next game again because I felt bad. He chose the thing he’s most confident in: Singing.

So here we are.

We’ve already sung twenty songs each, and we both scored a hundred on all of them. This karaoke place is special. It’s not one of those where you sing loud and score high. These are legit. It’s still a karaoke machine, though. If you’re a good enough singer, a hundred is easy. It can tell who’s great, but it can’t tell who’s greater. That’s why we’ve been stuck here.

This is an endurance match.

It’s Dewey’s turn next. May his voice crack and his tone be off. Please.

My throat hurts. It’s burning inside. I’m not losing though.

Dewey’s motioning for me to hand him the mic. I pretend to not notice. He’s trying to preserve every bit of voice he has left. I won’t let him. What I’m doing is cowardly? Please. It’s called strategy.

“Give me the mic!” says Dewey. Got him. I smile at him and he realizes his mistake. His face darkens. Success I hit the enemy army’s resources and morale at the same time.

I hand him the mic. Music fills the room. Dewey sings.

🎶🎵

Monday

The first day we met

Tuesday

We stayed until sunset

Wednesday

Love manifested in bed

Thursday

We argued, and both seemed upset

Friday

Should we stay or leave? Like a… roulette

Saturday

Is love really so easy to forget?

Sunday

As you leave today, I didn’t even fret

 

Is love this fast?

Is love this quick?

Is our love toast?

We no longer click!

 

…Love that was done at the… end of the weeeek!

🎶🎵

A hundred points!

That song he sang was also short, a little above two minutes. I’ve long run out of songs at that range. He has the advantage here.

I see a smirk on Dewey’s face as he tosses me the mic. Think this is all I’ve got? You underestimate my power. You may have song knowledge above mine. But. I have an ace up my sleeve!

Select a song! Start.

🎶🎵

Oh the chicken

It lays an egg

Oh it weakens

Cause it broke a leg

 

That’s so sad

But you’re mine

So I became a dad

Now don’t whine

 

Let’s go back to our house

Oh! it broke down

Well, I still have my spouse

Oh! she’s gone

 

Oh man, I’m such a clown

I sit down

And then have a meltdown

I go round town

 

Now I’m back to myyyy hometooown!

🎶🎵

A hundred points! That song was also below two minutes.

“The hell is that song!” says Dewey.

I don’t answer him. My hand holding the mic moves close to his face.

I know a bunch of these short garbage songs. It’s amazing that this place has them. These trash songs are stuck in my memory. The melody and lyrics are garbage.

I listened to a whole playlist of these songs by accident. One starry night, the young me was browsing videos on random. Then it hit me. Pain from my spear. It seemed like something was trying to detach from my body! I fell to the ground. I couldn’t move. The phone I was holding fell in front of me. Then the music played.

Why would someone even make a list filled with those songs, anyway? I found a use for it. Dewey grabs the mic from my hands.

🎶🎵

The love that’s true

It came to view

It’s just us two

Felt so brand new

 

As the wind blew,

And I pursue

This song too

I dedicate to you!

..

.

🎶🎵

Another hundred! His song finishes. I grab the mic right after.

🎶🎵

Bro!

Come, give me the glue

I’m getting so blue

Give me the shoe

That’s stuff I like to chew

 

Said I have a loose screw?

What else is new

I’m better you already knew!

Now you’re just beef stew

🎶🎵

A hundred again!

We go back and forth. Our scores are always ties. He found some short love song to sing and I continue with my trash short songs.

It’s our fiftieth song. Our scores have dropped to ninety flat. Still tied.

Dewey grabs the mic after my song ends. He sings.

🎶🎵

Is this love?

No, it’s all of the above!

You fit me like a glove

Now I’m free of the…….

🎶🎵

YES! Thank the Author! It’s done!

Checkmate. He opens his mouth, but no sounds escape until the song ends. He has a pathetic score of fifty!

Dewey is massaging his throat.

I take the mic from Dewey. The time is now! I acknowledge my voice fading.

This is my last move!

🎶🎵

Hire me! Don’t fire me.

Fire me! Require me.

Require me! Admire me.

Admire me! Acquire me.

 

Can be a fryer

Can be a flier

Can be a buyer

But not retire

🎶🎵

The score is sixty. My voice was disgusting and sometimes off key, but unlike Dewey, I finished the song.

It was a close match. But today I am victorious! The imaginary crowd grows wild!

Image

[collapse]

“A deal’s…. a deal… Pay… up,” I say.

“No… This… can’t be!” says Dewey

Our voices are rough and hoarse. This was a stupid idea. I’m never doing this again.

“You… Lost.”

“No, this… can’t…. be! I’ve lost two…. hundred straight!”

Do you keep track of that? Am I on a two hundred win streak? That’s amazing for me and sad for Dewey.

“Say… it!”

“Empress Sabina…. is the… best character.”

Dewey falls to the ground.

Defeated.

Oh reader senpai, hey! I didn't know you read this chapter.

I'm right in front of your sentence? I-I wasn't looking or anything, I just happened to be walking by! It'd be creepy to know where you're reading, s-stupid! What was I waiting by for? OKAY! I just had to appear okay! L-listen, Don't get the wrong idea, I was just up at 4 A.M. existing like all MISTAKES do and I appeared in your favorite chapter and I thought maybe you'd like to notice me since I'm in front of you!

BE GRATEFUL! UGHHIUGH! Uhh, how did I know it was your favorite chapter? Well I... aH!

5