Chapter 8: Oh, deery me!
556 7 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chloe

I followed Sophia to the temple complex, clinging to her hand with a vice grip. Visiting Athens was hard enough, but a temple to Artemis was explicitly a women’s space. I was more afraid than ever of how people might react if I spoke. The way that girl had run away upon spotting us hadn’t helped either. I cast a nervous glance around as Sophia led us towards the courtyard near the temple. There were a few other girls milling about the place, around the same age as the one that had run off earlier, and they were watching us, curiosity evident on their faces. After a moment, one of them decided to approach.

“Are you them then?”

Sophia looked down at the girl, puzzled.

“Them?”

“Yeah! The two ladies that Miss Iodora said would be showing up soon.” She peeked around Sophia to look at me, and I cringed at her close inspection. “You’re tall…”

With a gentle squeeze of my hand, Sophia placed herself firmly between us again.

“She is. She’s also quite nervous around new people, especially since she lost her voice. I’d appreciate it if you would give her some space.”

“Oh…” The girl paused for a moment. “Wait, but how did she lose her voice?”

We’d spent some time over the last day deliberating over what we’d tell people who questioned why I didn’t speak, and how we’d handle any strangers who started looking more closely than I was comfortable with. Sophia would interpose herself between us, like she had, and tell them a well thought out lie.

“It’s a long story, kid. One involving a satyr, a bet, and some divine intervention. Let this be a lesson to you, satyrs can be very sore losers.”

The girl's eyes went wide as she stared at Sophia in wonder, several others who’d been listening in seemed awestruck as well. It seemed that even here, real, mythic encounters were practically unheard of.

“You met a satyr?”

Sophia was about to launch into our incredibly convoluted, unverifiable, but also impossible to disprove backstory when I saw a familiar face walking out into the courtyard. Sipriotes was here. My hand dropped, hanging limply in Sophia's as I stared slack jawed at Artemis’ eternal companion, strolling calmly towards us with a smile on her face. Sophia looked at me in alarm, before following my gaze and spotting the nymph.

“Sophia! Chloe! I’m glad you both made it! I hope your journey here was uneventful. That nothing hind-ered you. You’re both quite deer to me, after all!”

“I’m sorry, who are you?”

Sipriotes frowned slightly at that.

“Right, sorry. The two of us haven’t been properly introduced! You can call me Iodora. I’m a friend of Chloe’s, I’m the one she wanted to meet here to deal with the whole ‘a satyr got pissed that she beat him in an archery contest so he stole her voice’ thing. Isn’t that right, Chloe?”

I nodded. Sipriotes - or Iodora, as she was calling herself right now - had just rattled off several details of the backstory Sophia and I had discussed completely out of nowhere. Either she’d been watching us for a while, or she could read minds like Apollo and was just more chill with it. 

Maybe both.

She winked.

Both then.

Sophia

Iodora, huh? Chloe seemed to recognize her, to trust her. My best guess was that she was one of the nymphs from the river, that’s the only place I could imagine her meeting someone who’d then show up here, three thousand years in the past. In that case, it’d probably be in our best interest to trust her.

“Alright then, Iodora. I assume you know we need to reach Crete if we’re going to solve this, how are you gonna help?”

“Right to business then?” You and Artemis would certainly get along. Her voice echoed within my head. “Maybe you two should eat first. Maybe have a bath too, then we can talk somewhere more… private.”

She looked pointedly at the various young girls currently staring at the three of us. Fair enough.

“Lunch sounds good.” I tried directing my thoughts towards her. Could we maybe bathe somewhere private? I don’t want Chloe to feel uncomfortable. Iodora smiled at that, turning to lead us towards a dining area beneath a columned roof, currently occupied by an absolute horde of kids.

Sure, I can take care of that. It’s good that you look after her, by the way… just don’t forget to take care of yourself too.

I rolled my eyes.

I do not need a lecture from a punny immortal today.

The kids started to clamor around, asking about the two strangers who’d come to dine with them. Iodora quickly herded them away, saying she’d explain everything later, but it’s rude to ask guests too much before they’d eaten. Ah, the xenia thing.

I thought my puns were en-deering. She paused while Chloe and I poured libations and offered sacrifice to the gods. Oh! By the way, I kinda realized something while I was watching you both in Athens. Gimme one sec!

Iodora’s brow scrunched up in concentration as she did… something. In the meantime, I wondered at the implications of that. She had been watching us? I guess it made sense that Artemis wouldn’t always be following us personally, but it was quite strange to meet this mysterious stalker I hadn’t even been aware of face to face. Eventually, an unfamiliar voice popped into my head.

Hello? Is this working? Sipriotes said she was gonna link us or something…

How many people are gonna keep popping up in my head. I swear. I’m sorry, who are you? And who’s Sipriotes?

Iodora chimed back in.

I am. It’s a good name, but it’s also traditionally masculine. People tend to look at me funny when I use it. Hence, Iodora.

Okay… and the other mysterious voice in my head?

Chloe gave my hand a squeeze.

Don’t you recognize me? It’s Chloe.

Oh. 

Well that’s useful.

We continued our meal in silence. Technically speaking. In reality, we were all thinking back and forth between each other, rapid fire. It turns out Chloe sounded different in my head because her inner voice had been naturally influenced by how she wished she sounded. It was high and sweet and so very her. Sipriotes told us both a little bit more about herself, and about her time with Artemis. She shared some advice on how to make better trail food, and how to better prepare any wild plants we found out in the woods. Although if I’m being honest, I thought I’d done pretty well last time. Eventually, we got around to discussing the elephant in the room. Or I guess, the deer.

So here’s the deal. You’ve had a pretty easy time of things so far, and while I’d be perfectly happy to just let things stay that way. Our lady has other ideas. Simply put, no ship bearing either of you will leave this harbor unless you’re both carrying a chip of Aipserokeleuthos’ antlers.

Chloe interrupted. I’m sorry, who?

Aipserokeleuthos, she’s the hind you met. Artemis asked me to wait for you both here, so I can teach you how to hunt her. We’ll have to immobilize her without hurting her long enough to shave a chip off her antlers.

Umm… Chloe again. Isn’t that basically one of the trials of Heracles? Capturing the Ceryineian hind alive. It was a pretty huge deal. Plus, even if we can capture her, I don’t wanna damage her horns or something.

I answered this time, smiling at her over some roast lamb.

I don’t think we have to worry about her antlers, Chloe. Deer (ordinary deer, at least) shed their antlers once a year. Any damage we do won’t be permanent, and she won’t feel it. Right, Sipriotes?

Bingo! Artemis wouldn’t give us a challenge that involves hurting one of her deer. As far as difficulty goes, yes, this is basically one of the trials of Heracles. That being said, we only need to capture Aipserokeleuthos for a few seconds, don’t need to transport her anywhere, and you two have me to help you. I’m an immortal nymph with several thousand years of experience, some kickass magic, and a wealth of trapmaking knowledge. We got this!

The nymph’s confidence was infectious, and I saw Chloe give her a little smile.

Thanks for this, Sipriotes. I really appreciate you doing this for us and cheering us on. We’ll have a nice, chill day at the temple, get cleaned up, have a good night’s sleep, and then go kick butt!

I chuckled a little at Chloe’s enthusiasm.

Hell yes, Chloe. We got this! Doe-n’t even worry about it.

Sipriotes’ eyes lit up.

You did it! You did a pun!

I sure did, you funky little immortal. I sure did…

Sipriotes

Likes: Puns, subbing for her goddess, grape juice (the nonalcoholic kind)

Dislikes: Transphobia, brussel sprouts, squirrels (they say mean things sometimes)

Time for your ancient Greek fun fact of the day! In ancient Greece, famous playwrights called tragedians wrote plays based on Greek myth, typically with a maximum of three actors total plus the chorus. When these tragedians died, the Greeks came up with myths explaining how they went out. Aeschylus, for example, supposedly died when an eagle dropped a turtle on his head, trying to crack its shell open, apparently believing his bald head to be a rock. Other famous death stories include Euripides, getting torn apart by wild dogs and Sophocles, who apparently died immediately after performing the entirety of his most popular play, Antigone, by himself.

45