Ch: 21 Collateral Damage
148 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch: 21 Collateral Damage

Morning came later by the side of the road, no rowdy younglings trooping in, an hour before first bell… bells that were now instinctive and sounded in his mind even far from town.

 

As usual, he woke up like a switch had been flipped. It was not jolting or jarring, just a firm sensation of not being asleep anymore.

 

Downstairs, Gary started what he could on breakfast and went out to visit the horsie. She was huge, really huge, and brown, there was a lot of huge and brown going on in the stall. 

 

Big brown eyes with long lashes, a big brown nose, going white at the business end. Her mane was close cropped and wiry, but brown as dark chocolate, as was her long, constantly flicking tail. 

 

“The tail twitch means she does not trust you yet.” A deep voice came from behind, making Gary jump and squeak. “She is trained for War, my Annie will never harm a human.” 

 

The knight smiled in the lamplight, seeming much more human than the cold and rigid man who came to the door. “Were she trained for Order, you would need to exercise much more caution.” He patted the enormous creature on the nose and cooed to her. “Odd to see a man working at a rural inn who does not know horses, the rest of your compatriots seem to fit…”

 

Becky saved the day, standing in the door looking impatient. “Gary, my mistress awakens soon, will you linger out here chattering about horses until sunrise?”

 

“Yes mistress Becky!” He said with a grin, slipping inside before he could say something dumb.

 

Dannyl came ambling out in workman’s clothes, looking the very image of a valued and reliable employee. “Breakfast will be served at first bell, Your horse will be ready at your command, milord.” He swept an elegant and humble bow, not too low, not too casual. Gary took notes, watching with admiration as he went inside.

 

The knight followed him inside, pausing to change into slippers without hesitation. “I find this footwear arrangement very satisfying. As one who works with horses, wearing boots indoors always seemed less than ideal. Perhaps you could tell me where these charming slippers are made…” 

 

He was dusky skinned and handsome, his dark hair had the glossy sheen of good health, while his handlebar mustache was waxed to elegant perfection. Like everything about the man it was compact, sensible and well managed. 

 

He exuded an aura of controlled and focused intent in everything he did, even while interrogating odd people about fuzzy, llama shaped slippers. “I… I kinda make them, it’s just something I do…” Gary fumbled, struggling to maintain his composure.

 

“Gary, down tae the workshop, Ye hae duties there, ye kin play wi yer slippers anon.” Shai curtseyed gracefully, smiling and pointing to a linen covered tray beside his door. “Milord, breakfast be served, I beg ye, dinnae mind the boy, there is nae harm in his madness.”

 

The knight held up a hand, stopping  them in their tracks before Gary could slip away. “Where are his parents, I could arrange for him to Contract with Order… that might settle his mind. It is well known that the moon touched need that steady influence.” He looked thoughtful. 

 

“Yes, I would see his parents, my mission is not so urgent that I cannot pause to do some good along the way.” He smiled, obviously pleased to be ‘helping’ and eager to get on with it.

 

“He were born far from here, tis nae possible tae see them.” Shai said, thinking on her feet. “He do be in my care, an the lady Trelawney Belen, journeyman o Healer do have her hands in this as well.”

 

“Oh, is that the lady I saw last night, odd that neither she, nor her guard have horses, not even a baggage animal. Does that wisp of a maid carry all her luggage?” His smile widened. “I heard, in my travels, that Otho the beloved of Joy, was putting together another of his ill-advised adventuring bands.”

 

He gathered the tray off its stand in the hall and sat down at a table in the common room. “Moreover I heard that Trelawny of Healer, one of the most respected young healers in the region, had joined such a group, I was intrigued.” His smile widened as Tallum emerged, followed by Ivy, still mussed and groggy.

 

“It was reported that no fewer than two accomplished journeyman smiths accompanied this group, as Adventurers no less!” He looked from Shai to Tallum, noting their hands and completely hairless forearms. If you are not sure you're talking to a smith, that was a sure tell. 

 

“Most notably there were tales of a personal protege of high priest Otho as well. A half mad musician with strange gifts, if the stories are to be believed. Some in the upper echelons of War have taken note, thus my final mission.” He said, eyeing Gary.

 

“Marvelous, you set a fine table mistress Shai.” He said, around a mouthful of Shai’s groundworm hash and eggs.  “Now if the rest of your band will come out, we can end this farce.”

 

Shai’s hand flashed out, restraining Gary by instinct more than anything else. She could feel his cold, primitive instincts waiting just under the surface. 

 

“Boy, tis nae the answer! Nae just that he would o’er match thee, as ye would a housecat, but he be a guest and kin.”

 

“He is a feisty one, no wonder War is licking his chops at the thought… and so much magic, it sheets off you in waves boy!” He looked around in satisfaction. “Tale is, you have a contract item and this house follows where you go. That rumor is attracting even more attention.” 

 

He rose smoothly to his feet and bowed impeccably when Tawny emerged. “Lady Trelawny, I am Imran Khan, lately of War, now a free Adventurer. Yesterday’s dawn marked the final day of my indenture to War.”

 

“My final task is to report to War’s temple in Wheatford where I will deliver a sack containing twenty gold marks.” He grinned and held up a plump pouch that jingled softly. “With that comes a request that one Gary Ward, be assigned to fosterage with the household of baron Timarch Holloman of Port Ellis…” He eyed Gary thoughtfully. “That is a  very strong bid, he must believe that you are valuable indeed.”

 

With a wet splat, Shai’s cleaning rag struck him in the face. “Ye ape arsed, sheep molesting, sack o wasted dreams and skin! Fie, an ye did not still hold guest rite in mine own home, twould be a rough morning ride wi me boot up yer..”

 

Tallum scooped Shai up and pulled her back into the kitchen, while the knight peeled the damp cloth from his face. Her stream of creative invective continued unabated, Tallum not being foolish enough to put his hand near those furious teeth. 

 

“You seem to know a lot about my friends and I, for a stray traveler in the night.” A now unattended Gary said, slow and cold, like a creeping glacier. “You accepted my woman’s hospitality under the guise of kin in need… that was not nice.” 

 

Liam, realizing where things were headed, tried to slip over and corral the musician. Slip indeed, as his slippered feet seemed to have been buttered, leaving him sliding across the floor, helpless. Somehow he was unable to walk, run or fall down, simply skating in random directions.

 

Ivy found her trouser legs sewn together in an instant, forcing her to inchworm across the floor in comical fashion. “Gary, calm down! She called, unable to do more.

 

Tallum still had his hands full of wriggling cursing Shai. That left Becky, who grabbed a ukulele off the wall and smashed it on a nearby table with an unmusical crash. 

 

“Yeah, that got your attention! Stop it now! You guys are on the ragged edge about something and it’s going to get somebody hurt!” She shouted, brandishing the sad remains like a baton.

 

Tawny noticed when that hideous spear materialized over the fireplace again. She had not seen it vanish or reappear, but its absence had been noted. “If we could all settle down, perhaps we can resolve this without violence. Do stop playing around Liam, this is serious.”

 

Liam slid by, standing stock still with arms crossed, looking sour and much put upon. “Tell Gary, I’m just standing here, I can’t even fall down.” He said, while balancing on one foot and skating in slow circles.

 

“Hear hear.” Ivy said from the floor. “At least Liam’s looks fun, I feel like I’m sewn up in my own shroud.”

 

“Everyone, sit down and be quiet while the grownups talk.” Tawny said, her voice cracking with authority and command.

 

“Sir Imran Khan, what game are you playing with my comrades? We are within our rights, traditions and the law. Moreover, as you are no longer with War, I see no role for you in our activities at all.” She sat back and waited, while her friends got their shit back together.

 

“As an independent Adventurer, I take an interest in all those who operate in the territory where I plan to reside, whether comrades, or competition.” He watched with amusement as the stitches binding Ivy evaporated, and Liam settled back to the floor without fanfare.

 

 “I had the pleasure of meeting priest Otho on my last visit to the region and it was his presence that convinced me to settle in Wheatford.” He smiled again, charming bastard probably practiced that at home.

 

“The rumors of this boy’s gifts are circulating in the ranks, they will eventually come to the notice of another noble or some self serving fool. If a house can negotiate fosterage, they can avoid a costly bidding war when your indenture comes up for sale. Either way, he will feather some poppinjay's nest for the duration of his indenture.” He looked to Gary. “Lucky you, that will be a luxurious and safe posting, if you can master your emotions.”

 

“Lucky me, I get to be a house slave while my brothers and sisters die in the field? Lucky me indeed, I’ll take my chances with my family. Lord Fuckstick Mc SlobKnob, can ride his dildo horse off into the sunset alone.” 

 

His voice sharpened, almost crackling with frost. “Lucky me again, I get to play host and wash the laundry of my own personal slave trader.”

 

Shai had her notebook out, furiously scribbling and looking at Gary with newfound respect. “Ye do hae hidden depths again boy. Hae ye been studying the game o insult?”

 

“I’m just getting started, lover. Becky, that hurt and I will be talking to you about that later.” His gaze switched to the still seated knight. “Imran Khan, if you mean harm to my family you will not have a good morning. If you have a problem with me, let’s solve it now.” 

 

Gary’s body was relaxed, his voice sounded friendly and dripped with ice at the same time. “Shai says you will spank me like a child, I think she is in for a surprise if you try it.” He waited a few heartbeats while the older man kept smiling and drinking tea.

 

“Very well, at dawn my hospitality ends. You will go your way, we will go ours, I have no further interest in you.” Gary said coolly. “Whatever happens next is yours to choose… until dawn.”

 

Gary sat down and began filling his plate with gusto. “Come on guys, coffee first, if he wants blood on the ground, I plan on being awake for the event. Gotta tend my garden yet this morning.”

 

Becky slunk over to the table and sat down, looking nervous. “I thought you were gonna start something Gary, sorry about that uke.”

 

“You were right, sergeant Becky, thank you. Trust those instincts, especially around me, you know how I get.” He sipped his coffee with a grateful sigh. 

 

“If I’m going to kill someone, I’d like to know it was my choice, not just crankiness.” He gave a jolly wink. “What say you Imran? Will we be murdering eachother today?”

 

“Gary!” Tawny and Shai shouted together, before glaring at each other. It was a delicious, though otherwise unpleasant meal. Khan sat silent, eating and drinking as though he had not a care. He finished before long and rose, still silent.

 

“You bring discord into our home sir. Please take it with you when you go.” Gary said as he stood. “Sunrise is coming soon, the first rays just hit our garden wall. Tallum, will you help the good knight with his mount?”

 

Gary strolled over and swept the broken instrument into his Pockets! With a sad smile. “Becky, when we get back, I am making you that thing we discussed. You will be helping with every step of the process, so choose well. Perhaps a harp?”

 

Shai was still stalking about like a wet cat, glaring at their guest with naked hostility. “Tis my shame that I did nearly break guest rite, an wi kin as well…” She growled. “I do owe thee a debt, I repay it wi a warning Khan... Dinnae count on hospitality frae me an mine after this dawn.” 

 

“I hope you will forgive my deception when we meet again.” He said. “Your playacting was delightful and your hospitality, impeccable…under the circumstances.” He called from the back of his colossal horse. “Annie says she has seldom slept better, even at home. I will see you again, little brothers and sisters.”

He cantered off through the slush and snow, heading down the River Road towards town, giving a casual wave as he departed. “I think that guy is going to be trouble.” Liam said quietly. 

 

“Quick group meeting, then on with the task at hand?” Gary asked, surprising everyone, including himself, with a sensible suggestion.

 

Shai came close, peering at his eyes, looking in his ear and then kissing him deeply. “Aye, tis Gary… mayhap ye broke something else along wi that ukulele Becky. Inside, we hae much tae talk over and more tae eat.”  

 

Gary was silent while the gang chewed over the events surrounding their mysterious visitor, remaining quiet to the end.

 

“Ok gang, here’s my take on Khan. He’s on the level, I don’t believe we need to worry about him. He feels a lot like Paul, he may be a servant of War, but he’s a decent person I think.” 

 

Gary slumped in his seat, looking exhausted. “I did want to murder him though, what’s wrong with me? I never wanted to hurt anyone before, now I just keep thinking… Braden is out there somewhere… completely unstabbed, as far as I know. Doesn't sit right, him having a whole skin.”

 

Shai whomped him lightly on the head, battering him with a relaxed pair of fists. “Tis monsters spill enough men’s blood, let go yer stupid grudge boy. If time comes ye must kill a man, I would not it were over an instrument ye can and have replaced.”

 

“Stop being reasonable woman, I’m a bloodthirsty grump right now. After lunch maybe you can go back to pinching my shapely backside when you think no one's looking.”

 

Shai’s laugh cleared the gloom and they began another day. A very boring day of marching. They did settle on the side of a sunny hill, overlooking the valley for lunch, that was lovely.

 

“We have a notice about a trapdoor near here,” Liam said, as they began walking again. “It’s probably dormant, watch for traces of web. We likely won’t see any sign of it til spring, when it starts stinking again.”

 

“They hibernate? Gross!” Gary complained. “Morning breath is bad enough, I can’t imagine those festering sacks of filth after being shut up all winter.”

 

A slushy snowball whizzed past his ear in protest. “You have never even smelled one up close, you cheating wimp!” Tallum shouted, scooping up another massive wad of slush in his shovel sized hand.

 

“Hey! There’s dirt and gravel in that! No fair” Gary complained, while dodging wildly.

 

“Gary, nice moves! Keep it up!” Laim shouted, grabbing his own handful of gritty, icy slush. “New training regimen! Everybody try and pelt Gary!”

 

“Aye, mayhap we kin ruin his armor, that he might wear summat less hideous!” Shai agreed, joining the persecution.

 

“I made this suit!” Gary griped while ducking behind a scraggly bush for cover. Tallum just pitched his giant wad of crud right through the screening shrub. It shredded the gray, dripping mass, leaving Gary dusted with sand, grit and ice. “Hannah said it was ready for the field!” He cried, shaking like a hound while standing behind a tree.

 

“Aye, tis serviceable, though ye do look like summat frae a backwards an primitive tribe o cannibal wild men.” Shai called, distracting him from Becky and Ivy, who were flanking, snowballs ready.

 

“You have those here?” He called, rolling out and into a thicket, tangled with withered berry vines. “Where do I sign up?”

 

Tallum was too big to chase him through the trees, so he began whacking the larger trunks. Great wads of wet, sticky snow dropped at random in his hiding place, splatting down mercilessly all around.

 

He took his chance, Tawny and Liam had bunched up, leaving an opening between Shai and Ivy’s group. He dashed out, slipping through the snowy woodland like a ghost. He had all his sneakiest gifts running hot, while tapping on the tiny drum at his waist. After a moment he slowed his mad scramble and began to play his flute. 

 

Sweet notes drifted high into the afternoon sky, accompanied by a rushing sound from the river’s edge. 

 

“Fool, ye kinnae obfuscate yer presence while ye do play, tis nonsense…” Shai changed her tune when she heard the faint honking sound. “Run! Everyone Run fer cover!”

From the river nearby, a vast flock of waterfowl lifted off, forming up in their neat rows as though guided by some malign force. With honking cries they began a slow banking flight, gaining altitude. As though signaled, they began swooping down over the group.

 

They broke into smaller formations, groups of a dozen or so passing overhead, targeting each human form below them and unloading what geese, ducks and other waterfowl are known for. 

 

Gary’s mad piping flute continued until all the birds were once more dabbling in the placid waters of an oxbow bend on the river.

 

“Now we are all gross and uncomfortable.” He announced with satisfaction.

 

“You are a terrible human being Gary.” Tawny announced with the finality of a judge. “IT’S IN MY HAIR!” She shrieked a moment later.

 

The others were slightly more phlegmatic over the ordeal. “Let’s call an early night, Gary and Shai have some work to do and a bath seems ideal.” Liam announced. “Good thing we have an apprentice tailor with us… stain removal is difficult for the untrained.”

 

Gary was grinning along with them, until the stack of soiled armor wound up in his workroom, on his bench. “Ere ye summon poultry tae befoul yer targets, do make certain yer mate be not in the throng boy. I kinnae believe I must explain this.” She closed the door with quiet finality. He had leather to scrub. 

 

“That was excellent work Gary, you have really improved these last few weeks.” Tallum rumbled when Gary finally slipped into the bath with the rest.

 

“No it was gross and stupid, Tawny, you tell him.” Becky shot back, still washing her hair compulsively every few minutes. “I can’t really still smell it, but I can totally still smell it… in my mind.” 

 

Tawny just glared at Gary as though she had bitten into a sour plum.

 

“I may have gone too far with that one, but it was all I had to work with…” The look in his eyes was troubling to everyone. 

 

“Did ye just hae an idea?” Shai asked. “Be it terrible?”

 

“No, just a thought. I’m gonna use some dust tonight, gods and abominations can let me sleep for once.” He produced a handkerchief, tied at its four corners around a wad of white, flaky pollen. “Anybody else want some?”

 

“Some of us have work to do and actually want to grow their Contracts Gary. I’ve spent enough time just sleeping, thank you very much.” Becky huffed. “Powder glazed dusthead. You better wake up to pee, you goon.”

 

“Dinae worry, He do know how tae do laundry.” Shai said as the girls headed upstairs… both of them.

 

“Hey…” He whined softly, as a velvet rope appeared at the foot of the stairs. “Can’t believe I have to bunk down on the ground floor… like some commoner.” He sniveled, just within the other’s hearing.

 

“Stop!” Ivy commanded, bringing Tallum, Dannyl and Liam up short. “We don’t want to summon the pillow king do we?”

 

“The bylaws do state that a full quorum must be present for any official shenanigans… it is the law.” Tawny said with regret. “He gets away with that one gang. Drop your pillows.”

 

“You guys are all a bunch of dustheads.” Dannyl said, while grinning foolishly. “I’m off to bed. Its a long road.”

 

Gary climbed into bed in the room with the blue circle, and the butthole shaped do not disturb sign. He made the fake amenities and room sign vanish, but left the anus, as a memento.

 

Sometimes all you need is a quiet night of dreamless slumber. Alone was less than ideal, but he was not awake long.

 

In the morning, he woke to warm redgold hair on his shoulder. He gave Otho the dog an elbow nudge and received a grumpy “What ye mean boy?” from Shai. 

 

Not Otho then, down at his feet was actual Otho, softly snoring. Not so much at his feet as on them. 

 

Hemming him in on the third side was Becky, curled up to him and unwilling to budge. Refusing to be stymied, Gary did a little fancy footwork. He unsummoned the blanket he was wrapped in, while yanking his feet from beneath the monster dog.

 

He did a quick crunch and rolled over the dog and to the floor in one clumsy move. Otho let out a snuffle of complaint, then took Gary’s spot in the middle, as a fresh blanket fluttered down onto the whole mess.

 

The girls seemed to either not notice or not care about the substitution. 

Down in the workshop it was still three hours till first bell, he had some work to do. 

 

Shai and Becky showed up with coffee in hand, a while later. Together they watched him work while they practiced their own instruments.

 

Becky was quickly improving on the harp, she tuned up quickly and efficiently, using Shai’s violin for reference. Gary knew better than to leave that too far out of tune, in case Shai wanted to dip her mitts into his Pockets!

 

It had happened once, she drew it out and found the instrument flat and sour. Rather than tuning it, or asking for help with the job, she began to play… At Gary, while making eye contact, it was terrible.

 

“Whae be yer project lad? Tis a violin?” Shai asked, watching with interest. 

 

“Two, one for you, one for me. Built like my new guitar, with the resonance disk in a solid ash body. Tallum’s geared tuners should keep things in key.” He chattered on happily, extolling the virtues of something he called ‘gain’ and ‘distortion’. The other one sounded fun, or at least it was fun to say. 

 

“Overdrive” Becky said, enjoying the shape and sound of the weird word.

 

“Overdrive” Shai announced, gleefully and with volume. “It do feel like she should be said loud.” 

 

“I really can’t stand either of you wenches.” He grumbled happily, sipping from his magically self heated mug. “I was pretty sure this was the morning the dread pirate Shai was going to kill me.” 

 

“Ye do keep saying that kind o thing, boy and I did hear it somewhere else last night. I shall find this secret, I do search your mind every night when ye sleep.”

 

“As you wish.” He said for the hundredth time, always with that little smile.

 

“Fie, ye hae been making that grin an saying such since almost we hae met. Moon touched indeed, surely twice over, as ye hae been touched by Beast an Secret.” 

 

She crawled back into her coffee mug, complaining all the while about madmen and the moon.

#

 

Gary went back to lecturing at the room. “The resonance disk sits in this shallow cavity, suspended on a network of trapdoor silk strands…” Blahh blahh blahh, resonance, mana efficiency, yadda yadda. He did go on, but Shai liked him for some reason.

 

He wasn’t bad looking or annoying, just weird. Stranger yet, he danced like he had no idea where to put his left leg half the time. “Tell me more about scale length, Gary.” Becky said, keeping him busy talking.

 

That made him such an odd choice for her sister, Shai was dance, holding her still while anything with a beat was happening was hopeless. “Uhh huh… why use spider silk?” Becky was pretty sure that Shai and Gary were a good match… time would tell.

 

#

 

Sweet Becky kept tossing out inane questions, keeping her man rambling, while Shai gave her coffee a very firm handshake. Hopefully the brave child could maintain the farce until she was awake enough to start managing her pet mooncalf. Teamwork was a blessing.

 

#

“You used ash for the body and neck, why?” Material choice questions always sent him down a rabbit hole. Becky listened with one ear for keywords, otherwise just skimming his prattle for real information.

 

“Wait, so these are not going to be Contract items? Why not?” Now she was interested.

 

“I can’t just make Contract items and scatter them around, it takes a lot out of me, literally.” He grinned insanely. “I have to put my heart and soul into it and use all of my active gifts to cram pieces of me into it.” 

 

He shook his head sadly. “Poor Shai is still infested with me, I don’t think she minds too much though.” She smiled back at her fool, not knowing what a fool she was in turn. 

 

No matter how Becky ran the figures, Gary was a poor match for her Shai. He was a mediocre dancer at best, his physical condition was poor… improving, but still. The boy was clumsy in movement and speech, constantly saying things that made no sense. It had to be his weird gifts that drew her… and those crazy songs.

 

He was singing again, something about living underground…

 

…I come from the land down under…

 

‘Utter nonsense.’ Becky thought, while trying to whistle along. Within two notes Gary’s gift had her, dragging her into his foolish song. 

 

Gary had developed a complex ethos around the use of his gift on others. Any neutral observer was untouchable until they joined in. If they sat there listening that was fine. Start tapping a toe, even a little and he was there, scooping his victim up and cocooning them in his magic. Her inexpert whistle was the fly in his web, now Gary's venom was in her blood.

 

Giving in, she brought her harp around and got to plucking and strumming along. “You are gonna cut your thumb off Gary, watch where you’re sawing!” 

 

Shai, of course, had just jumped in and started shimmying.

“You should have seen us playing in the craft ward, that was super risky. Hammers and saws everywhere! If I broke a string it would have been fingers everywhere!” Gary laughed between verses.

 

“Aye, nae more disco in crafts, tis unsafe.” Shai sighed, leaning into him as the music wound down. “Ye should tend tae the stables Becky, we hae some… things tae discuss ere breakfast.”

 

“There's no horses in the… ohh, gross, I’m out!” Becky vanished, while Shai started dragging Gary upstairs.

 

“I’m almost done wi-... uhh yes!”  He said, while dragging her upstairs faster. “Slowpoke!” He complained.

 

“An ye be fortunate, aye!”  Shai grumbled, trying to move him along faster.

They got a late start, but winter travel is perilous, best to be ready before setting out on the road.

 

The River Road was a good, if uninventive name, it followed along the south bank for the majority of its length. Occasionally the road would climb the low rolling hills. Sometimes overlooking it from a low bluff, but usually right at the water’s edge. 

 

They shared a late lunch on a bluff overlooking the river downstream, watching a small boat work its way upstream in the distance. They were back trudging through the sticky snow and mud far too soon for Gary’s tastes. They still had hours to walk yet.

 

At the moment, they were scant yards above the water level, screened by withered berry bushes and bare small trees. Blotchy snow covered most of the ground, with wet clumps clinging to the trees and bushes. The sky loomed low and gray, but the day was warmer than expected.

 

Creaking of wood and ropes announced the passage of one of the small cargo craft that plied the river. Not quite barges, not quite boats, they were long, blunt prowed, slab sided and narrow. 

 

On the downstream run they drifted in stately grace, following the current. Upstream, most lumbered along so slowly, sometimes it was hard to tell they were moving at all. 

 

These poor fellows were going upstream, pushing against the current with poles, while one woman sat cross legged at the bow. 

 

Most of the power moving the boat was coming from a blue and gold dolphin, gamely tugging the barge along with a rope around its nose. 

 

The boat was brightly painted in blues and golds, with dolphins and other aquatic life drawn in looping stylized strokes. Colorful ropes of pennants fore and aft lent it carnival atmosphere.

 

Two burly men were poling, mostly fending off from the shore while another stood at the tiller. Their efforts at keeping it tracking a straight line were led by the sweet sing-song voice of the woman at the bow. 

 

“Steady… there! Falco, come here boy!” The dolphin ducked out of its loop of rope and swam joyfully over to the bow of the boat. They had come to a halt on a low embankment, and dropped a wide plank from the deck to shore.

 

Within minutes, the boat was tethered to stakes, and an awning rolled out. Doors swung open on the sides of the low superstructure, exposing a wide range of small goods. 

 

“Ho travelers! Trade boat Esperanza is open for business! Dried meat and vegetables, fresh bread from the oven right here on board! Spices! Coffee! Tea! All this can be yours! Come taste Esperanza’s bounty!” She sang out in a rich contralto.                                    

 

Her lilting accent reminded Gary of scandinavian mixed with a little eastern europe, it was a delightful sound. 

 

“Are you a patrol from Order? This one does not recognize your uniform…” She sang, smiling happily, until her eyes landed on Gary. “…did you capture a bandit?”

 

Gary huffed and stepped forward into (what he believed was) a heroic pose. “I’m the leader of this troupe, we are Ginger Dreadnought! A hard rockin band of Adventurers and entertainers!” 

 

He cut a striking figure in a boiled leather breastplate, reinforced with bronze bands and a kilt of bull hide and bronze straps held up by a wide kirtle of green trapdoor silk sewn with bronze rings. Boiled leather greaves and bracers and a bronze and leather cap finished the rough and tumble armor. 

 

A long silence fell, until Shai dropped a hand onto his shoulder. “Come on boy, lets see her wares. Ye do look a villain in that getup. Aye, put a fishbone in yer nose an ye will frighten the bairns in any town.” 

 

She called out to the woman, who was now petting her dolphin. “We do be Adventure guild, hae ye bandits here?”

 

“Adventurers! That is a surprise,”  She smiled wide while gesturing expansively to her goods on display. “We have seen no bandits… apparently. We have trade to offer and a warning.” She settled back to watch as they browsed saying; “The warning comes free, there is something in the marsh four miles downstream.” 

 

#

 

The Ivy was across the gangplank and browsing the display in moments, ignoring all the jibber jabber. Like all orphans, she rarely had coin, leaving the contents of the river trade boats forever out of reach. 

 

Now she had coin and her own crazy household to run, it was a heady blend for a woman with her particular talents and interests. Spices, herbs, mineral salts and reagents of all kinds were on her shopping list, along with more exotic components that might happen across her path.

 

Gary was a goldmine of those sorts of things, he never complained about being elbow deep in the ruptured bowels of some vile creature. He would just smile and wade in like a loon, rooting around by feel for the wonders he produced so regularly.

 

Ivy was careful not to mention it to the others, but the boy had a gift for gathering those rare magical monster parts that sorcerers and enchanters so craved. Trapdoor venom, silk and fangs were common enough, but whenever he was involved, the fangs came out whole. The venom sacks were extra plump and disgusting and the silk spun up like candy floss. 

 

His wallowbrears always had fatty, purple spleens and teeth and fangs perfect for jewelry. Even the groundworms he harvested were meaty and had the softest of fur. Gary even found a use for ‘tract’ as Mikkel called it. He washed out and dried the horrid things and used them to string instruments. 

 

Tallum swore by Gary’s new gut strings. “They sound and feel so good, as long as I don’t think about what they’re made from.” Whatever made her big fool happy. Now it was time to start filling in some of the gaps in her crazy family’s stores.

 

#

“Ivy is going to be a while…” Liam said, grinning at his intense friend. “What did you see, a monster?”

 

“We saw nothingk as such,” She purred, her accent lending an almost lyric quality to her speech. “my Falco has a sense of the water, its not sight, but somethink like. There be somethink large and quick, down in the mud. Dashingk across the bottom, larger than a horse and new to this place.”

 

Falco popped up on his fluke and danced backwards in the river chattering gleefully. Shai had been not so subtly fixated on the creature from the moment it appeared. Only her innate social skills saved her from unforgivable rudeness, as she stared holes in the aquatic creature.

 

“Be this darling creature Falco? Be he your familiar?” Shai butted in, breaking her portentous warning vibe. “Can I be touching him?”

 

She shook her dark curly ringlets dramatically, rolling those big dark eyes in a well practiced move that spoke of a person born to the stage. “Rarely indeed do my people get to indulge our flair for ominous pronouncing. My grandmother spoke til her death, of the day she warned the town that a bridge was washed out, in blank verse.” 

 

She let out an exasperated huff, making Shai blush. “Your leader is cute, so this one will forgive you.” She said, while looking at Shai and smiling coyly.

 

“But I’m the leader…” Gary complained, undermining his own argument unironically. 

 

“Aye my boy, ye be leader o the band, but Liam be the leader o the group.” She soothed. Pointing over her shoulder to the small warrior in the impressive armor.

 

“No? Well regardless, yes pet Falco, he is a shameless flirt. This one has no idea where he gets it… what is that perfume?” She cooed, inhaling deeply just over Shai’s shoulder.

 

Shai started, almost falling off the embankment into the river. “Fie! I should leap out o me shirt an ye do that again!” she yelped, looking nonplussed and slightly alarmed.

 

“Shirt you say! Don’t threaten this one with a good time!” Shai flushed bright red and began to sputter, but she did not stop stroking the dolphin’s head.

 

The small warrior in the exotic armor handed his long spear off to the odd one and it vanished in a twinkle. His enormous companion did the same with a bronze and iron studded club that most men would struggle to lift, it too disappeared. ‘Adventurers in truth perhaps’ she mused. 

 

“Evening falls soon, my family will moor here, will you join us and camp? Warm bodies ease a cold night…” She almost whispered that last in Shai’s ear, while making sure Liam heard only the part about camping.

 

“Excellent, I am Liam, here we have Shai, and Gary, Tallum, Ivy, with Tawny and sergeant Becky standing watch. He said smoothly. 

 

“As Gary mentioned, we are Ginger Dreadnought, Adventurers with the guild.” He shook hands with her firmly, enjoying her frank and businesslike attitude. It was nothing to do with the effect she was having on Shai.

 

“Early camp gang, we will be playing host to our new friends…” Liam paused, allowing the woman to announce herself.

 

She drew up to her full height of slightly below average, with a smooth grace. The woman draped her colorful coat of elaborately embroidered flowers over her shoulders, so it fluttered in the breeze just so. With smooth cheeks and soft brown eyes her smile was motherly, challenging and just a little sassy all at once.

 

“I am Esperanza, mistress of this boat, this is my brother Dante, and his two cousins Marc and Yuzef…” 

 

She paused and the men bowed, looking impressive in baggy linen pants held up by colorful sashes of embroidered silk. They wore shirts much like the ones common in Wheatford and long shearling coats against the cold. They were all barefoot, moving like dancers on the close confines of the deck. 

 

“We sail out of Port Ellis, making this run for the first time in a year. We run up, past Wheatford to Flintspire Town, then downstream and home.”

 

Ivy had slipped out of her boots and was barefoot as well, as she browsed the wares on display. There was a pleasant open space at the stern of the boat, but most of the deck was taken up by the shop display. 

 

The awning cranked up to reveal jars and bales, crates and baskets of foodstuff and spices. An iron oven near the stern gave off the distinct aroma of fresh bread, and perhaps a hint of sweets as well.

 

The boat’s menfolk did not speak much, letting Esperanza ply her trade. She was a force to be reckoned with, haggling Ivy almost to tears, while flirting with Shai until the poor girl had to flee.

 

Naturally, Becky found something that Shai just had to look at, bringing her back into range. That was just a coincidence. 

 

“Your lord Liam seems to think highly of you. Truth be told I heard those bells you wear from down river and expected some fancy lord’s carriage. Not a group of doughty warriors led by so kind and humble a lord.” She tisked in wonder. “Not even a pack animal, did you lose your baggage train?”

 

“We travel light…” She said awkwardly. “Tis the Adventurer’s way.” Shai tried to slip away when Gary rolled into view, arms laden with bundles and goods. 

 

“Make me a deal on all this stuff, Ivy will be my agent, let the haggling commence.” Gary turned a fierce looking Ivy loose on Esperanza. 

 

Armed with someone else’s money, Ivy was determined to take another crack at the sharp dealing trader. 

 

Gary looked over the riverside meadow between the embankment and road with a smile. He pulled out his new guitar and began to play. His instrument barked and twanged in a way they had never heard before, playing rhythm and melody in almost eerie tones.

 

Tallum held out one big hand and his bass appeared when Gary brushed by. He let Gary’s gift grab on and he took the ride, thumping out a complex line. Ivy had her drum tapping the simple beat, still haggling. Meanwhile, Liam and Dannyl joined up when their instruments appeared. 

 

Becky’s harp began tinkling across the surface of the music, lending a mysterious and ethereal air. This was her first time really witnessing the depths of weirdness that was her sister’s man.

What goes up, must come down

 

Spinning wheel, got to go ‘round…

Becky assumed it was called ‘Spinning Wheel’, even though it had nothing to do with weaving. Gary never explained his weird songs. 

 

When she looked up, the damn house was there. The lamps were lit and there was a huge cloud of steam billowing into the sky.

 

“So much for low profile.” Becky said, swatting her new brother on the rump. “Shai is going to be pissed if some creepy lord buys your indenture and makes you his bitch.”

3