Chapter 64. Why me?
238 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Don’t tell me... You want to join your daughter with me?”

It was in a comedic tone. I acted exaggerated, making the tones flow out of my mouth to be nothing but a joke. After all, there is no way he thought of that, right?

Right?

“You…”

But his surprised eyes and wide smile made me stiff. Being a bit reserved, probably because he considered himself to be caught red-handed, Glenn didn’t turn his words and ask directly.

“Kurt-sama, how did you know?”

Of course, I didn’t know it! How in the world could I guess it?!

“Are you serious?”

Did this man really try to stop me from leaving just to conduct “good relations” between Alice and me?

From his reactions, he seemed to be genuinely surprised that I guessed it (which I didn't), but then his expressions went normal, as if my behavior were normal. Why?

“Well, Kurt-sama is a noble. So, it is not a surprise that he could deduce it.”

‘Did this guy also know that I was a noble? I don’t ever recall ever revealing my identity to him.’

First Miria, and then Glenn. Is it a meta that everyone recognizes nobles, or is it just me who is that easily identifiable? But whether he knew my identity or not has nothing to do with this. Or... does it?

And then I found myself forgetting the norms of this world. This isn’t a modern world, but a fantasy medieval world. Having a marriage to be decided at such a young age isn’t rare. The fact that I already have two fiancées and one concubine is a clear example of this.

On top of it, who am I? I am Kurt von Ritzburg, a noble who is a Count’s heir. And alongside the status, I have high attainments in magic, swordsmanship, and even enchantments. Plus, I am opening a business that is destined to become a behemoth in the future.

Looking at all these points, I realized one thing. It is that I am a perfect marriage prospect. What is there I don’t have?

“Since you have caught me, I want to mention it openly. Kurt-sama, what do you think about my Alice? Isn’t she cute?”

Glenn Corner, the man who caught all these marriage prospects in me, started to advertise his daughter to me. And as for the talk about Alice being cute…

‘Of course, she is cute! There was a reason why I approached you so desperately.’

This offer was too tempting to refuse. Why am I thinking of even the possibility of refusing? It doesn’t exist! The reason I approached Glenn, Alice Corner, was also a driving factor for it.

Alice Corner, the one in The Ultimate Magicians, with the epithet of – Cutie Red. “Cutie” derives from her cuteness, while “Red” symbolizes the magic she possesses - fire magic. The fact that she is by my side is nothing but an advantage to me.

But regardless of all that, the most important fact for me was not her magic or her status as a future Ultimate Magician, but that she is a beautiful girl! For Kurt Von Ritzburg, the man with the dream of making a harem of beautiful girls, she is definitely a plus!

Well, one needs to have variety in harem. And I am sure that a cute and petite girl with a cheerful personality like her would definitely become the mascot of my harem.

As much as I internally agreed, there were still a lot of details that were amiss. And I thought that I should at least be upfront and tell him all of it. So, to start with…

“Glenn, are you sure? Don’t you remember Miria?”

My words weren’t direct, but they were enough for an intelligent person to understand the meaning behind them.

“Of course, I am sure. I am to tell you: don’t misunderstand me. I, too, am making this decision carefully. Despite being a businessman, I am not the one who sees family relations in the eyes of considering it a deal.”

“Is that so?”

Then, there is more reason for me to delve into to find out why he wants Alice to marry me.

“And as for the woman in the inn, isn’t it normal for the nobles to have mistresses?”

Man, this normality truly makes me swoon in this world. Thank God for reincarnating me in this wonderful world.

“But I already have two fiancées.”

“I have no problems with Alice being a concubine.”

This guy… Now, looking at his stubbornness, I was doubting whether his words of being a businessman yet not seeing family relations as a deal were true or not. I don’t mean to degrade myself, but still, after all these details, is there anyone who would willingly marry his daughter to me?

I have two fiancées and one mistress, and yet he is trying to marry off his daughter to me. If he is not insane, then it only means that he saw something that precious in me.

“Glenn. It’s yes for me.”

“Then…”

“But… Tell me. Why me? Why did you choose me?”

“It’s because I felt that you were perfect for Alice.”

“Huh?”

What the hell is he speaking about? Me being perfect? How can I be perfect for her? Looking at my confused appearance, Glenn chucked and then gave the following answer:

“I was trapped in my worst moments. I was drunk all the time, lamenting myself, thinking that my life was ruined. No one cared about me. My wife knew my pain and felt guilty like me, so she didn't try to stop me. But you did.”

Of course, I did because I needed you to run and make money for my company. And coming out as the father of Alice Corner was a bumper offer not to be missed. An opportunistic person like me couldn’t sit and see this precious offer slip off my hands.

But where are you heading? Confused, I just became silent and let Glenn continue his words.

“And later, I inquired that you even helped my wife to talk and support me. You truly saved me. Your kindness truly befits a noble. That’s why I and my wife - both of us believe that you are perfect for my daughter Alice. Kurt-sama, please take care of her for the future.”

His words made my eyebrows twitch. This guy… He seemed to misunderstand all of it. But what do I have to gain from resolving it?

I took a step, held his hand, and looked at him with burning eyes, showcasing my determination.

“Don’t worry, Glenn. Just leave Alice to me. I will take care of her. And I hope you can assist me in the business. I will rely a lot on you, father-in-law.”

“Yes! You can expect a lot from me, Kurt-sama!”

With happy tears in his eyes, he stood up and shouted with enthusiasm, making my eardrums bleed.

“Kurt.”

“Huh?”

“We are family now. You can call me Kurt. And it seems I have yet to introduce myself. I am Kurt Von Ritzburg, heir of Count Ritzburg. Once again, nice to meet you, Glenn Corner.”

===

Read extra 15+ chapters - ko-fi.com/mewriter

7