Vol. 8 Chapter 36: The beginning of the journey, part 1.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An hour had passed since then. They did the same thing they did earlier that day in the afternoon: they used a strange melody to alter memories. But the difference was that this time they altered the memories of EVERYONE in the town. Furthermore, they picked up Mat's mother's body (they took her to the hospital in an ambulance, since she had no serious injuries, apparently, but.... In the end they couldn't do anything for obvious reasons...) and they took the remains that were left of the creatures for examination.
Mat had been healed and his clothes were torn to shreds. All of them, including Andrew and Erin, this because, for some reason, the memory erasure did not affect them (and that Erin's aura was normal... The thing is that they didn't want to take her, why? I have no idea) were in a distant area of the town, in the forest. They were with a group of soldiers and Shield. At that moment, they were standing.... All except Erin, who sat on the ground. They were lighting the place with a strange device that looked like a lamp, but it floated and its light was dim, but it served its purpose.
Mathias had explained to them everything that had happened an hour ago.
- The way you tell it, it really wasn't your delusions. - Shield said. "Besides which, with what just happened..."
- What? - Mat replied. - Obviously not!
- That's true. - Sam said. - He wouldn't be able to make up such a far-fetched and bizarre story.
- She's right. - said Erin.
- H-hey, why are you here? - said Andrew to Erin. - Didn't you have your memories erased?
- We did, but... We couldn't really do it and I don't know why. She lost them and after a few minutes she got them back... And that's why young Donovan told us to bring her in too. - Shield said.
- I understand... - Andrew replied.
- So... Those creatures over there were sent by... the Almighty. Seriously, if you just listen to this and don't get proof, it really sounds like bizarre delusions. And to believe that "God" chose a Hero.... That's even stranger. And how do you know that this "God" is really who he says he is? - she said. "It could be an intelligent and superior creature, from another world, or an unknown entity that is trying to do something, but if that were the case, why couldn't we intercept it?"
- An angel appeared to us and said so. - Samantha told her.
- What? - they all said. Even the soldiers who were watching them,
- That's something... I don't think the Organization would like to hear about that... Things. - Shield said.
"Besides, we've got to bring him in, no matter what."
- That's none of my business. - Mathias said. He turned to his friends now. - So... I brought you here to ask you for a favor.
- What favor? - Erin asked almost instantly.
- Shhh... E-Erin, please... Don't interrupt him. - Andrew shyly demanded.
- Okay...
- So... I want you to... Give my mother a proper burial and that... I don't know... I don't even know what else to say...
- Mat... - Samantha.
He wanted to cry again. Sam went over to him and hugged him, as if to reassure him. At that, Mat said:
- TRX, we're leaving now. We have to find those orbs. - He separated from her. - Sorry...
- It's ok, come on guys... - TRX said, but she looked depressed.
- But young man! - exclaimed Shield. - If even together we couldn't stand up to that guy, how are you going to do it?
- If I can't do it, then no one else will. - said Mat.
- I understand all that too, but... I can't just let you go like that. - Shield said. - This is already a big deal. We have to...
- I'm going to join your I don't know what organization, but please let me go. - Mat replied.
- That's... That's not for me to decide. Besides... You murdered someone.
"Right, isn't it?" thought Erin. "But..."
- That was self-defense. - Mat replied almost instantly.
"That's true." Samantha thought.
- For that reason you proved to be a threat. Although... Like I told you, if you were to join us, maybe your punishment wouldn't be as severe, but.... Agh, I have no say in that.
- Then I don't care, I'll just leave.
- If you do that, you'll become our enemy. - Shield replied.
While they were talking...
"Mat is... Something different." Erin thought, worried.
- Hey, Sam... - Erin whispered. - Mat... He's affected by it... And you can tell...
- He really is... Ever since he found out what he had to do by being the Hero he.... He's confused and... Sad... He seems to be trying to act tough and all, but he's not succeeding since he almost cried again a while ago....
- Yes, but... I hope all this doesn't make him change. - said Erin.
- I hope so too. - said suddenly the ghost that isn't a ghost. - If he gets mad, what we see might not be pretty.
- ...Well, yes. - Sam said. She was quiet for a moment and became aware of the ghost's presence. - Huh?
- Hey, stay out of other people's conversations... W-what? - Erin complained. She noticed the ghost that is not a ghost, although... She could see it now, but it looked as if it was transparent.
- Sorry.
Back to Agent Shield and Mathias Donovan's talk.
- ...Fine, I'll become your enemy if you want, but that won't stop me from doing what I have to do. - Mat replied defiantly. The nearby soldiers pointed at him at that moment. His friends were also frightened by this. - It is my duty to save the world, so I will do it....
He was silent for a second, realizing what he had just said.... And of everyone's reaction. Mathias was a little startled to see himself pointed at, but he calmed down and then said:
- Hey... That sounded really dumb... Hahahahaha.
He put one of his hands behind his head and laughed sheepishly.
"And we were worrying because it looked like he was going to change..." Erin thought. They looked at Mat weird. Drawing for you-know-what.

- I want to punch him.... - Erin whispered.
- W-what? But why? - whispered Samantha too, answering Erin.
Ignoring this, Mat kept talking.
- And come to think of it, making myself your enemy is not... It doesn't benefit me in any way, so.... Forget about that, okay? - Mat said. - I'm going to join you guys, okay? But not now. There's no time... Are you present only in this country or all over the world?
- All over the world. - she said.
- I see. - Mat replied. "That... Is kinda scary." - So... Since my trip is going to be around the world, why don't I better join at one of my stops?
"I'm not joining, I just want to get out of this." Mat thought.
- That... That would be nice. - Shield said. "We can track his exact location with the tracker I put on him, so he can't hide. We have to bring him in no matter what." - If you want to meet any member, just raise your hand and release some of your aura in such a way that no normal person can see it.
- Oh, and another thing, is your pseudonym Shield or...?
- We use code names for this, but... Yes, it is, but... Ugh... It's my name too. - she replied. - My name is Silver Shield. Since my name is weird, I decided to use it as a codename as well because... Well, no one would believe that's my name. Although, in the end, it turns out they just call me Shield.
- Wh-what? That's... Really?
- Is it for real? -Sam asked, hesitantly.
- I don't believe it... -replied Erin.
- ... - Andrew or the ghost who isn't a ghost said anything.
- Laugh if you want, I don't care.
- I won't. - said Mat.
- Really, you won't? I-I see... - he replied... Silver Shield. I don't know why, but I think his name is funny... And I feel sorry for her.
- Besides, I admire you in a way. - Mathias said. - You have more control over your power than me and you are stronger than me because of that.
- I understand... - said Silver.
- Seeing how you use your powers with such ease... I would like to reach that level of mastery and, because of that, I want to become stronger, so I can.... Errr... I wanted to say "save the world with more ease", but.... Agh, it doesn't matter anymore, I said it anyway.
"I also wanted to say that I wanted to become strong to protect the people I love, but it doesn't matter anymore..."
They looked at him funny. He felt embarrassed.
"But you were the only one who could move then..." Thought Shield.

0