Chapter 17
72 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Where did you meet your lovely little flower?” Louis wheeled his brother around until it was himself against the door and Fletcher in front of the desk. 

“In Maple Hollow,” Fletcher murmured.

“Of course,” Louis's grip tightened on his arm. Though merely a human, years of Hunter training made him stronger than most. “Do you still plan to rot there alone?” Without Hazel in the room, his voice lost the friendly quality, like someone snuffing out a candle. 

“I-” Fletcher swallowed the defensive growl building in his throat. “I have little choice.”

Louis scoffed. “If you’re going to martyr yourself you need to at least tell her.”

“Mind your affairs!” Fletcher’s voice came out loud in the small office. His eyes flashed as he bared his teeth. Blood pumped in his ears.

Louis did not seem afraid, letting out a mocking laugh. “You are a part of my affairs. Or have you forgotten we are family?”

“Have you?” Fletcher matched his posture, grabbing onto his arm. The crystal could be felt there under Louis's skin, its unnatural heat burning Fletcher’s palm.

 “You just left after Father died! All I've gotten in ten years are letters.” The words were bitter on his tongue, tumbling out before he could swallow them. 

“You fool,” Louis hissed, voice venomous. “What do you think I’ve been doing here? You may have accepted your affliction as a death sentence but I have not.”

Fletcher wilted, fierce expression fading. “You’re-”

Louis nodded. “I’ve been looking into a cure,” he said, licking his lips nervously. “I have not been able to develop anything more than theories.”

“That's amazing,” Fletcher breathed, full of awe despite himself. “That’ll revolutionize hunting.”

Louis straightened his back, smiling pridefully. “It still needs a few clinical trials. It is difficult to find volunteers.”

Fletcher could imagine. “Lou. I-”

Lifting a hand, Louis interrupted him. “How serious are you about this woman?”

“Very,” Fletcher said at once. 

“Then tell her.” His voice was gentle. The words unsaid hovered between them. Even if it causes her to leave.

“I will,” Fletcher promised. Eventually.

Louis cleared his throat, taking a pocket watch out of his vest. “Damn. It is almost half past four!” He switched places once again with Fletcher, walking behind his desk to grab an armful of parchment. “I have to meet with Hearth to discuss research.”

“A rendezvous.?” Fletcher chuckled. 

It was Louis's turn to glare, but the expression had little venom. “Perhaps.”

“Don’t let me keep you.” Fletcher turned from him, finally throwing the office door open. 

“Of course not,” Louis called out over his shoulder, rummaging through the bookcase. “I can bring dinner tonight if you’d like.”

“Do as you wish, Lou.”

“I always do.”

2