HBA – Chapter 66 – Pathetic creatures! You’ve thought yourself powerful?
22 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No matter your feelings, your choices, or your circumstances, Fight for what you believe.”

#Quote - Inspirational Quote - Tourni Star of the Year

 

*

 

Central Continent - Southern forest - Survival Tribe

Many things occurred on this day for the Badg’Er and the Tribe in which they lived.

 

For the first time, every adult member of the Tribe was prepared to engage an unknown enemy. Yes, in the past few days they trained for something like that, but there was a difference between a whole tribe facing potentially many others, and a whole tribe facing one enemy.

 

An enemy that made every Badg’Er its gaze landed on a shiver. 

 

Just that one fact told Scar that the enemy was strong. But just because it was strong it did not mean they would not fight. 

 

No, Badg’Er were not those kinds of creatures.

 

Those that offend or bother them would receive a welcoming gift.

 

Only, this one was incredibly strong. So strong Scar instinctively knew he would probably die if he fought it by himself. However, how it ended if his fellow Hunters joined in, was different. 

 

Still, the likelihood of some of the dying was very high.

 

As such, Scar breathed in deeply and growled loudly for all Badg’Er to hear. “All, Hunters, Gather, Surround, Enemy.” With the order given with surety of something needed to be executed, every single Badg’Er Hunter began running and taking a curved path in order to surround the intruder.

When it was done, and every Badg’Er Hunter settled in their relative position, Scar prepared himself in order to charge at the enemy first. After all, he was the strongest in the Tribe. Yet, the enemy made no move at all, aside from craning its head this or that way to take account of all the Badg’Er around it.

 

Scar did not like that one bit. He even liked it less when the Intruder grabbed at something hanging on its hip. Then the Intruder began pulling something out of the long but narrow basket hanging on his hips. 

 

So far, Scar ignored it, as he had no idea what it was. But as every bit of it left its holder, Scar immediately knew danger when he saw it. 

 

What the Intruder pulled out was, Scar had no word for it. It was long, narrow, and shiny as it reflected the evening light enveloping the Forest. 

 

Then a moment later, as the Intruder held the shiny thing with one hand, Tina, his mate and Head Shaman of the Tribe, bellowed out an urgent warning. 

 

“Scar, Edge, Dangerous. Dodge… ” 

 

Hearing the urgent and worrying words of his Mate, Scar glanced at her for one moment. In that one moment, he saw her touching and rubbing the inner side of her left paw. With the warning given, his wariness increased even more, but Scar knew avoiding the Intruder was a bad idea. 

 

Therefore, he still moved forward. Nevertheless, as he moved toward the Intruder, he bellowed out the same warning to his fellow Hunters.

 

Once Scar was at a comfortable distance from the Intruder, a familiar feeling began to infuse itself into him. It rarely happened, and when it did, it never lasted for long. Yet, now in this moment, before he even engaged the Intruder, it manifested.

 

Once more danger and caution reached his thoughts when his eyes glanced at the long and shiny thing in its right hand.

 

For one single moment, Scar wondered about the true nature of it, especially if it was as dangerous as he currently imagined. Ultimately, the thought had to be thrown out of his mind, as it proved to be nothing but a distraction, as his eyes told him something.

 

His enemy stepped forward.

 

Scar repeated the same and moved closer to the Intruder.

 

Step… Step Step… Step

Cen’Tak, a Cent’Pi from the depths, and Warden of the most remote farmlands glared at the black and white creatures surrounding him. 

 

He glared for but a moment before smiling and grabbing for the sword at his hip. 

 

With a smooth motion, gained from years of practice, he drew it out and immediately noticed how the creatures stared at it with wonder, confusion, and wariness.

 

Somehow the disappointment of their weakness receded somewhat, as he could not fault them for being so ignorant of things. Even in the depths, only those at the 4th Stage of Ascension are allowed to wear armor and wield a sword. 

 

Much less these nobodies who probably only recently appeared on the surface. Or maybe they had existed longer and all he was meeting was the hillbillies of them. 

 

Whatever the case was, Cen’Tak stepped forward, and their leader stepped forward as well.

 

As if mimicking, both stepped closer to each other, when Cen’Tak recognized the optimum range for his attack. With quick steps, he was where he wanted to be and slashed horizontally at the leader of these creatures.

 

Cen’Tak did not swing super hard. 

 

He first wanted to gouge their reaction, to at least squeeze some fun from them. As such, he kept his speed to what normal 3ed Stage usually displayed.

 

Nonetheless, when the leader dodged back just in time for his sword to pass in front of it, Cen’Tak was still somewhat surprised. Especially, when it stepped towards him and the White Claws screeched on his arm armor.

 

Immediately, Cen’Tak knew there was more to this creature.

What followed was Cen’Tak still keeping his speed at bay. 

 

Instead, he tried his best to gouge the reactions from the Leader of these black and white creatures. When he sliced horizontally, the Leader dodged back. When he sliced vertically, no matter if it was upward or downwards, the Leader dodged sideways.

 

The weirdest part Cen’Tak noticed was the adaptability of this top specimen. 

 

The more he engaged the Leader in battle like this, the less wildness there existed in its dodging movements. 

 

With every dodge, the distance between the edge of his swords and the Leader dwindled. In return, the amount of CLANGing and Screeching increased as the Leader adapted to the reach and danger of his weapon.

 

Too bad, it can't penetrate my armor. Thought Cen’Tak, as he recognized the Leader’s remarkable battle instincts. 

 

Once that fact settled into his mind, there was no going back anymore. 

 

Cen’Tak’s battle lust roused away from disappointment. And for the first time since the brief battle started, he instantly increased his speed. However, instead of slashing he thrust the pointy end of his sword at the Leader.

 

There was no denying the success of Cen’Tak’s execution. Only the greater success came from the Leader, when it barely dodged by wildly rotating its upper body at an angle, all while stepping back just enough for his sword to graze its chest, instead of penetrating the heart.

 

That became the tipping point, as Cen’Tak no longer cared for any tests. 

What followed was a constant increase in Cen’Tak’s speed with every step and attack of his. He even began using both hands for holding the sword. 

 

That way he increased the speed and strength of his attacks.

 

With every increase of his, more superficial wounds manifested on the Leader, as his sword constantly grazed it. Only with every swing that passed, the grazes gained depth, until eventually, one attack came too fast to be dodged without harm. 

 

Unlucky for Cen’Tak, the Leader dodged by angling its frontal side of the body. Instead, Cen’Tak’s sword actually slash the left side of the Leader’s chest where the black-colored fur met the white-colored one.

 

That was when Cen’Tak realized the toughness and thickness of the skin of this black-and-white species. 

 

If the tactile feeling I felt is right, then the back will be even harder to penetrate. Cen’Tak realized as his sword failed to penetrate and instead got deflected, in a manner of speaking.

 

Truthfully speaking, the said realization mattered not for Cen’Tak, as it came a bit too late. 

 

The Leader's hands and claws clamped on his hands by his wrists. It had grabbed so hard that screeches echoed instantly due to its effort in stopping his movement. At the same moment, Cen’Tak realized that the Leader of this species possessed remarkable strength for a 3ed Stage Ascended being. 

 

Not too much when compared to what his species gains, but it was surprising. However, Cen’Tak had no time to ponder about it any further. 

 

Clangs and screeches emanated from his armor as multiple hands clamped on him.

 

Cen’Tak’s immediately came to his senses when he realized his lust for battle had once again proven to be… not good for him.

 

That being the case, he instantly began struggling to free himself. When that proved it was not gonna happen, Cen’Tak knew he could no longer indulge himself in this battle. For one single moment, he stood still as the creatures, not holding onto him, began battering him on his armor. 

 

However, that one second bought him all the time he needed. 

 

Strength!” Cen’Tak cried out. 

 

Immediately in response, his Mana surged out from deep within him. It flooded his body with strength, thrice of what he'd previously had. With it, Cen’Tak instantly broke free from the Leader grasping at his arms.

 

At the same time, another bellow of his echoed into the world. “Agility!

 

Instantly, Cen’Tak felt the world around him slow down by a factor of three. Yet, it was not the world that slowed down, it was him that sped up on both the physical side and the mental side. 

 

Still, that was not all. Cen’Tak announced another word, as his species specialized in short but fast spells, also known as Battle Chants. 

 

Edge!

 

A moment passed, and Mana flooded his sword. It reinforced it slightly, but in this case, it enhanced the cutting ability of his sword, as the Mana settled on the edges.

 

As such, the black and white creature became practice targets as his sword slashed at them. 

One was instantly cut down, as his sword slashed at its softer front side. A huge gash erupted from the right lower part of its stomach to its upper left chest side. 

 

If it had not died, it would soon enough. Cen’Tak’s mind understood as he switched to another target. The next one got its left arm cut off as Cen’Tak’s speed stupified its reaction. A moment later his sword penetrated its chest deep enough to penetrate the heart and exit through the back.

 

When that happened, he was still not satisfied, but as his increased mental speed allowed, Cen’Tak saw the realization finally settle into the black-and-white creatures. 

 

Placing one foot on the creature, he launched the creature from his word. 

 

Due to his enhanced strength, the body flew through the air for a bit. Impacting the ground a moment later, it rolled for a few meters before actually stopping with its shocked face staring at the canopy of the Forest. 

 

Most of the creatures Cen’tak saw stared with stunned and stupefied expressions. Pulling his sword in this way from the impaled creature allowed Cen’Tak to display his competence and strength, all while expressing his innate superiority because of the showiness.

“Pathetic creatures! You’ve thought yourself powerful! Yet you've barely seen the tip of my strength. Now cower down, as I cut down Every… Single… One… Of… You… Down… to the last female and child hiding in this pathetic little place you call home.”

 

Oozing out Power for them to witness, Cen’Tak entered an ecstasy-like trance. Especially, when his mind recognized looks of despair manifest on the faces of the black and white creatures. 

 

For one moment, his mind recognized he could read their expressions despite how foreign their facial structure was to him.

 

Only, Cen’Tak did not get to wonder about that fact or even enjoy feeling superior for more than a few moments. 

 

KHRYA - YA - YA - YA!!!

A growl with a higher pitch, yet strong and penetrative to Cen’Tak’s ears, echoed out for all to hear. 

 

Turning his gaze towards its origin, he saw a female. Because this female once stood by the Leader he fought, Cen’Tak recognized her as someone important. 

 

Then in his slowed-down mental perception, he noticed her rushing towards him.

 

At the same time, the other females standing in the back around the weird black pole, charged in his direction. 

 

However, Cen’Tak ignored them when another sound reached his ears.

 

KHRYA - YA - YA - YA!!!

 

This growl carried the same rhythm, only this one was much lower in its pitch. 

 

A moment later Cen’Tak saw from whom it came, and in its eyes, he saw a resolution of Rage and Death centering on him. 

 

The Leader was the first of the males to charge at him. Cen’Tak realized it would be giving away its life in the next moment, but how or why Cen’Tak had no time to ponder, as the other males charged in the same way.

With no need to worry about his defense, thanks to his armor, Cen’Tak went on the offensive. 

 

Nevertheless, it turned out, he executed only two attacks on the males, thereby killing one and injuring the other, before someone grabbed his left leg, at the ankle.

 

By instinct, he tried to kick it off, but it held onto his leg with its dear life. Then the same happened to his right leg. Then, something jumped on his back with two arms grabbing for his throat, only never actually succeeding fully due to his armor. 

 

Another grabbed his free left arm, and another grabbed his right sword-wielding arm.

 

The combined weight of the males was not too much for Cen’Tak’s currently enhanced strength, but when another piled on top of his back and another two grabbed him by the waist it was too late for him. 

 

A moment later, Cen’Tak got pushed forward. Because of the immobility forced upon him, he failed to find his balance, and in moments Cen’Tak’s head and face kissed the soft ground.

 

THUD THUD THUD

Down on the ground, Cen’Tak failed to leverage his enhanced strength. His arms and legs simply failed to move, thereby failing to grab any placeholder for his hands and legs. 

 

Yet, that still did not become the strangest thing he currently experienced.

 

Right as Cen’Tak recognized he was in deep trouble, and right before wanted to quickly chant another Spell to get himself out of trouble, something pulled on his head upward and then something jabbed itself into his mouth. 

 

What it was he could not see exactly, but the impression Cen’Tak’s mind gained was of fingers plus claws. 

 

The fingers because of the shape, and the claws because their tips pierced into his tongue.

 

Not liking it one bit, Cen’Tak, bit as hard as he could. Yet, despite having sharp teeth and breaching the flesh, and reaching the bones of the fingers, there was no reaction from the Individual to whom the fingers belonged.

 

Then, the weirdest of all happened. 

 

Something else jabbed itself through the small crack of his teeth. It had no substance or taste. Neither was it fluid nor solid. It was somewhere in between those. With no time or focus, to unconsciously figure it out, something began to flood his mouth into his throat and moments later his lungs.

 

Fear began manifesting as it expanded into his lungs. Then his Fear grew as it ignored the flesh separating his insides. With no end in sight, it took but moments for everything else to be engulfed with it. 

 

Whatever it was, it was not good for Cen’Tak. 

 

However, when he began losing any sensations to his Mana, and thereby feelings of his insides, True Fear manifested.

Every moment passing by, the numbness and loss increased. 

 

Cen’Tak’s Fear transformed into Terror. Terror of Death reaching for him. Death not from glorious battle by somebody his equal or stronger, but by being ganged up by a bunch of 3ed Stage Ascendant creatures. 

 

Creatures who when compared to his species were but a blip in history.

 

NO, I WILL NOT DIE IN SUCH A PATHETIC WAY. Cen’Tak shouted in his mind. 

 

For that one shout, Cen’Tak’s mind recovered from the Terror. His clarity focused on his head and the thing he had been proud of the most. Yet shamefulness was what awaited him for being forced to use it against low lives like this.

 

Touching it, embracing it, Cen’Tak called on the Orb of Ascendency. 

 

Immediately, the Ascendent Mana stored inside the Orb subsumed him and his thoughts. The Ascendant Mana sheltered him further from the Terror, only to spread to his body, all while pushing out the Invader in his body. 

 

Yet, the flushing was not as instantaneous as he imagined it would be. 

 

At first, it worked just fine. Cen’Tak regained a large part of his lost feelings, but then something jabbed into his mouth again. It wiggled about for a better grip before actually stretching his mouth as much as possible. What followed was more Invaders reaching for his insides.

 

For some reason, Cen’Tak could distinguish them from each other, but soon it mattered not. Not when these Invaders combined into one thing and with their combined might they began to drive off his Ascendant Mana.

 

As if that was not enough, similar Invaders began to invade through his skin underneath. Moments after that, Cen’Tak lost all feelings from his skin/muscles, and bones.

 

Eventually, the Invaders were everywhere. Then every single one of them combined into one agglomerated mass and his Ascendent Mana finally began losing the battle for real. 

 

Realizing his end, Cen’Tak truly, and deeply, regretted his earlier behavior.

All his life, he'd been reckless and battle-hungry. Yet, that hunger for battle and recklessness was what helped him achieve Ascendancy. Only for the same Ascendency to cause his downfall. 

 

It was his status as an Ascended that saved him, even if it caused him to be sent to the furthest reaches of the Cent’Pi Domain, as a glorified Warden of a community of farmers.

 

Even after spending so much time wallowing in despair over his failure, a chance came to him. He sought it, and now it became his downfall. 

 

Yet, the thing that nudged him down the cliff of despair right this very moment was not that he was not strong enough, but the fact he did even get to use his full strength.

 

Despair plus Inevitability climaxed into an epilogue. His Ascendant Mana lost the battle of quality vs numbers, and the invader reached Cen’Tak’s Ascendant Orb stuck in his head. 

 

The invader touched the Orb and just stayed there as if it could not invade any further.

That changed moments later, however, when Cen’Tak lost all feeling in his body. 

 

He had no idea how he knew, but he knew. 

 

His heart and lungs stopped working. 

 

When they did, everything went down like a cascade. 

 

One by one, his organs shut down. His brain was the last one, and when it did shut down, Cen’Tak felt a true ripping and cracking occur to his awareness.

 

Ripping as his mind got torn asunder.

 

Cracking as his Ascendant Orb cracked in multiple places, only for a White Flame to engulf the cracks and the pieces falling from the Orb

Outside Cen'Tak's body, the Badg’Er, ganging up on their enemy, recognized a familiar phenomenon spreading from the body.

 

Deep down, they knew, only one reason would make it so. 

 

As such, all of them relaxed instantly. 

 

When they did, the Shamans stopped the constant pouring of their White Flame. 

 

They stepped back with tired expressions. After them, the Hunters began untangling themselves of the other Badg’Er around them and the corpse they hugged to death.

 

Once every Badg’Er stepped away from the dead enemy, e expressions of pride flared for killing such a mighty foe. Yet, as the moments passed and they calmed down, grief manifested.

 

When the grief reached its peak, the dead body on the floor, or better said, the Ascendant Orb inside it, finally reached the breaking point.

 

SHATTER 

 

Following the shattering, a White Flame exploded into existence and engulfed every Badg’Er present in its White Glory.

1