Chapter 20
94 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Join the discord:https://discord.gg/JzyCkr4Vb5


 

Two more days passed since the first day and he made some progress. It wasn't pleasant sleeping in alleyways, but despite his reluctance; in order to survive he slept in the trash and used it as camouflage at night to avoid being attacked.

The very first night he tried it, he witnessed two drug addicts die by fighting each other to the death of a half-eaten apple. It was sickening and combined with the smells of shit, blood and garbage made him throw up all over himself.

Tears fell down from his eyes as he did so, finding this entire world disgusting, and once again reminding himself that he was weak.  Shen Yue climbed out of the current trash pile he was in and made his way to another alley looking for some perfume since he managed to get some new clothes a night ago and wanted to cover up the smell.

As he walked out of his current alley She Yue was greeted by the hot blistering sun; moving despite the heat, and the wind that was blowing sand everywhere from dusty buildings to the hidden watchmen for a small local gang.

It didn't take long before he found the remains of a woman.

Corpses of men, women, and children were commonly found in these alleyways though these would disappear only for new ones to replace them the next day.

"Oh, there is nothing there to replace this smell. I guess I should probably find an orphanage, preferably one not trafficking minors." Thought Shen Yue to himself as he searched through the pile of trash once more managing to find a few silver out of pure luck and began his search for a home.

Keeping his conviction firm he continued to look for a place that wasn't obviously trafficking the kids they brought into the orphanage. Walking down the beaten path he stumbled onto what he thought was a decent orphanage. It wasn't overly nice and was a collection of a few wooden buildings, huts, and tents.

A fire pit could be seen in the center of the complex; alongside one of the buildings being the main office. Although other children were playing around doing some kind of kickball game, adults and teenagers appeared scarce with only a few very old or menacing ones outside not only watching the children but also watching the entrance.

`"Interesting, I recognize that brat but why was he sent to the slum area? As far as I know through my limited contact he was supposed to be dead." The man thinking these words was old and currently playing Chinese chess with another one of the residents.

The old man had long gray hair with strong eyebrows and a slim build. He looked similar to a traditional sect elder so after communicating a secret message to the main office he continued playing his game.

A cold shiver went down Shen Yue's back alongside the feeling of someone gazing at him.

The feeling was there only for an instant before turning to normal. Deciding it was in his best interest to ignore it based on his general Chinese cultivation knowledge; he instead went straight into the main office.

Which, despite the general poverty of the era was decorated well and he recognized a few things that looked like some of the furniture at home.

The walls of the room held a few small paintings but were worth quite a lot on the markets of glory city. But despite the cozy and slightly familiar feeling of the room Shen Yue's heart had vigilance as it was obvious this wasn't an ordinary room.

The person standing there to do the greeting was a young woman, who smelt and looked clean. She had pink hair and an average Chinese body and face, but what was unique was the aura she had around her that would cause others to be in a slight haze.

"Definitely a cultivator and as of now this was the best I could find well here it goes I guess." Thought Shen Yue as he gave one last glance at his crow perched on his left shoulder before greeting the manager or organizer of the building.

"Excuse me, beautiful sister. I am looking for a place to live. Are there any spaces left?" Asked Shen Yue with the cutest looking face he could muster at this point in time.

Giving a gentle smile the lady nodded her head before proceeding to talk with some mirth. " You seem about eight years old, little brother but you can't stay here for free and must do some work in order to stay in this palace. I won't ask for your name or any other details but in exchange when called upon you must complete your job. If you accept these terms go to any one of the homes and find a place that's not taken."

"I believe I can handle whatever they throw at me as long as I am on their good side I should be safe judging by the details. It doesn't look like they are trafficking children and even if I wanted to escape It's too late and my only chance is by a mission." Thought Shen Yue before making his decision and walking out the door but before he did he stopped and turned around to face the receptionist.

"Thank you, big sister, I was wondering how long until my first mission?" Asked Shen Yue and not soon after he got a time frame.

"You have one week, little kid."

"Thank you." Shen Yue said before walking off into the new location and beginning a search for a home.

During Shen Yue's walk around the premises he could hear the gossiping between adults, the children running around and clicking and clangs of metals alongside the sound of fires going around the camp getting prepared for dinner.

Shen Yue's eyes slightly widened since he saw something not everyone could see, a small version of a living city.

It wasn't long before he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Excuse me, did you want to play with us?"

 

 

0