Chapter 19: Crushing game
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: Crushing game

 Augustine: Song weaver, self-proclaimed Life Skiller. Is ready to do anything for a kiss. 

We, Allan and I, spend some time just preparing the bread buns with mince meat and vegetables for sale. I already knead the dough, before I went out on my run, but they still need a bit of preparation.

When all 100 bread buns are in the extended dimensional oven, something that costed me a fortune, but is worth every copper, I look at Allan, and give him a bright smile. 

"You are good at this," I comment, and then move my hand closer to his. He sees that, and pulls his hand away. I blink at that. 

"I was led to believe, that the only thing you wanted was a kitchen helper," Allan says. I feel guilty about coming onto him like that. 

"Yes, sorry. It is just that... I appreciate a man who knows his way around the kitchen," I say, and then cough in my hand. "Not that I will put on any advances on you, if you don't want me to." 

I let my words linger in the air, trying to convey with the way I am still standing by his side, that I can be a good choice for a lover. 

"I am not searching for a lover, just a job," he says. I nod. 

Well, you still have Vince, Atha, and Dean. 

Mm, Dean. I wonder if he will be up for some fun times? 

"Sorry. I must have come off as a bad boss. Allow me to make it up to you. How about this: You get to get all the money from the sale of the bread buns, minus the money that went into the ingredients," I offer, trying to mend the mess I made by flirting. 

"Why are you doing something like that?" Allan asks. I just shrug. 

"I don't have that big of expenses. If you'd like, you can use the kitchen to prepare your own food for sale. I'll make sure that all the food vendors that I work with know that your food is good, too," I say. He takes a step back. 

"I think I should leave," he says. My eyes go wide. 

 "Wait, what did I say this time? To tell you the truth, I am looking for a partner, not a kitchen helper. You see, I am an adventurer now, so, there will be times when I go out of town for months at a time. The food I sell normally helps the vendors get a bit of a breather. Besides, if I don't sell every other day, I'll end up forgotten," I tell him. 

He stands rooted on the spot for a while. Then, he speaks. 

"You'll teach me how to cook like you?" He asks me. I nod. 

"Yes. That doesn't sound too bad, does it?" I ask, and a smile creeps onto my lips when he nods. 

"And you won't make me do something I don't want to? Will I get an official contract?" Allan asks. Huh, I haven't thought about that. 

"I can make it happen. You'll get a cut from each sale, and full benefits," I tell him. 

He offers me his hand, and I take it. I notice how soft his hands are. I can't help it; I rub his skin with my thumb. He takes his hand out of my grip as if burned. 

"Sorry," I murmur, and run a hand through my hair. "I do have lovers, but you are..." 

He looks ready to bolt at that. Then, he takes in a deep breath, and speaks. 

"My last job was as a prostitute. One of my clients paid my debt last night," he says. Suddenly, I feel like a donkey has just kicked me in the stomach. 

He has been used, you dumbass. He deserves more than your shallow desires. 

"That will not make me treat you with any less respect, than I would have given to anyone else. I mean, one of my party members is an incubus. His name is Dean," I say, and Allan pales. 

"He is the one who freed me," he says. He begins to shake his head. "I shouldn't be around you. He probably doesn't want to see me. I can't repay his kindness with..." 

I rush to Allan, and cup his face in my hands. Not only that, but I make him look into my eyes. 

"Look here, you wonderful, kitchen friendly, man. If Dean causes trouble for you, then I will have at him! Dean might be in my party, but you are in my kitchen. I value that more," I resist the urge to kiss him on the nose. His hands go over my own hands, and he stares into my eyes. 

"Are you certain that you have nothing against working with...someone like me?" Allan asks. I can't help it, I free one of my hands, and poke him on the nose. 

"If by someone like you, you mean a softie that can keep up with me in the kitchen, then yes. Not only don't I mind, I'll move mountains to keep you. If friendship is the only thing, you feel comfortable giving me, then I will take it. You will not find a better friend than me. I can assure you," I tell him. 

When Allan smiles, it is a bittersweet smile. I try not to think about his past. He deserves better than for me to judge him because of it. If he feels like he can share with me how he ended up as a sex worker, then I'll listen. Not only that, but I'll offer my silent support. 

But from now on, the important thing is to establish the partnership between us. 

"I should be going," he says, and I bite my lower lip. Did I make him feel put off? "I need to go to the library, and check out some medical texts." 

"You are sick? I can make sure you are seen to by a healer," I offer. He shakes his head. 

 "I want to become a healer. Perhaps, if you won't mind waiting, then I can be a part of your party?" He asks. 

"I will wait for you a thousand years, if need be," I tell him. I can see that his eyes are going misty. Before he can leave, I give him a hug. He is the first one to let go. After a moment that lasts an eternity. 

2