Chapter 24: Preparing for the landmine
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24: Preparing for the landmine

 Augustine: Song weaver, self-proclaimed Life Skiller. Is a ball of nerves. 

Dean has a tail...

I want to tug at it...

These thoughts follow me into my home. I make a beeline for the kitchen, determined to make the best full-course brunch that I am capable of. I see Allan already in there, making cheese-filled bread buns. That is ok. I can use the smaller stove for the brunch. 

"Good morning, partner," I greet him with a smile. He waves at me, distractedly, and goes back to fill dough with cheese. I notice that my recipe booklet is open on the counter. 

"Hey, how did you find that?" I point at the booklet. He looks at me with something akin to panic. 

"Your mother gave it to me. Said I can use the practice with your recipes. Was I not supposed to read from it?" Allan asks. I soften my expression at that. Mom went out of her way, to help Allan out. She must already like him. 

"I should have been the one to give it to you, but I forgot. Sorry about that. Say, to which bakery are you selling today?" I switch the subject. It seems that this is the right thing to do because he gives me a bright smile. 

"I haven't decided yet. I figured I can simply walk around town, until some food booth decides to take the buns," he tells me. 

I wave a finger at him. 

"That is naive of you. The booths and the bakeries have to have money prepared for you beforehand, after all. I'll call the bakery on Fawn Street. It is the largest, so it has money for emergencies," I tell him. He smiles bashfully at me. 

"I haven't thought about that," he bites his lower lip then, as if he wants to ask me about something, but doesn't have the bravery for it. 

"Come on, ask away," I urge him. 

"How is Dean?" He asks me. I feel sort of guilty at his question. 

He has been with Dean for months, and I took him away from him. 

"He is well. Allan, he...he is a part of my party. And, well, my harem as well," I tell him. I watch, as he pales. 

"Oh, I am sorry. I didn't want it to come off as if I wanted to take him away from you," Allan says, and busies himself with the bread buns again. 

You won't be taking him away, if you just join the harem.

The thought strikes me like a lightning coming down from a clear sky. I really like Allan. I want him so much it hurts. He is so perfect. Even though he wants to become a healer, he still takes the time to cook. He is a man after my own heart. 

He told you no, you fool. Be glad about what you have. 

I am interrupted from berating myself further, by the chime of the grandfather clock. I check to see what time it is. Crap, now I have only two hours to make the best brunch there is. And I still haven't told my parents to stick around. 

"Allan, are my parents still in the house?" I ask him. He nods. 

"They said they don't have to go to work until the afternoon. They were really nice to me. You have great parents," he sounds wistful at that. 

They could be your parents too, if you'd only...

No, stop! Let him take all the steps. If he ends up with someone else, then that has to be his choice.

"Great. I don't want to ask you this, but can you take out some pork and cut it up? I will be making a kebab with vegetables for brunch, and I am sort of running behind with the preparations. Seeing as I have to wash up because I..." I gulp, when he sniffs the air. His eyes go wide. Probably because he realized what the smell meant. 

"I understand. The buns can wait," he says, and goes to the fridge. 

"Once the kebab is set, I'll help you finish up," I offer, and then rush to the living room. My parents are sitting on the couch, watching TV. It is some sort of news report. I see that it is filmed in the underground tunnels under the world, but don't pay much attention to it. 

"Mom, dad, I want to take responsibility for my actions," I say, as they both turn to stare at me. 

"You are going to marry Allan?" My dad suggests. 

"Thomas, the two just met," my mom is ready to chew him out. I can tell because her nose is all scrunched-up. 

"But, Margie! He is romancing the poor boy to such lengths, yet, doesn't let him move in here," dad protests. I blink at that. 

"Move in here? Why should Allan move in... oh," I sway on my feet, suddenly feeling sick. 

You found him sleeping on a bench. Just where did you think he spends the night?

"I didn't think," I know that is no excuse, though. 

"There is room in your room for a second bed," my mom suggests. I gulp. 

If you had known what I know, you wouldn't have suggested it. 

"I'll get him a rented place, and cover the cost for it," I say. My mother frowns, but my father just wraps an arm around her shoulder. 

"The kid already had lovers, Margie. He can't treat human beings like a dungeon that hoards schemas," my father chuckles at his own joke. Honestly, he is by far more relaxed about the entire ordeal than I expected him to be. 

"What did you want to tell us, Tine?" Dad asks. 

"I want to introduce you to my lovers," I say. "By that, I mean, have a nice brunch with all of us present." 

"Took you long enough," mom says, as she leans into dad. "When we were your age, we waited for the fun times until we introduced our lovebirds to our parents." 

"So, you'll be here?" I ask, hearing the hope in my voice. 

"We will be, even if you don't want us to be," dad says. I nod, and then rush up the stairs to get all the grime out of my skin. 

 

3