Chapter 12: It’s A Joke… Right? RIGHT!?
275 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing the dishes, I went into the living room, and Dad was reading a book as the news was playing in the background. 

Feeling slightly tired, I picked up the remote control to switch channels. But before I could do so, Dad lowered his book and glanced at me. 

Glancing back at him, I slowly changed the channel. And put down the remote. 

Before I could react, he had reached out to grab the remote and switched back to the news channel. 

I looked at him. 

“.....” 

“.....” 

Standing back up, I went to the kitchen, brewed some coffee, and returned with some cookies. 

Dad was still watching the news and reading his book when I returned. 

Sigh 

He glanced at me as I put the coffee on the table with some cookies.  

And, of course, they were mine. 

I slipped the coffee as I slowly ate the cookies. 

His favorite brand, at that. 

“.....” 

Suddenly he put the remote on the table as he continued reading his book. 

Sigh…

I finished the cookie, returned to the kitchen to get the second cup I had prepared beforehand, and went back. 

Putting the coffee in front of him alongside some cookies, Dad nodded as he sipped while eating them leisurely. 

As I switched between the channels to find something interesting to watch while waiting for Lilly, Dad unexpectedly asked me a question out of nowhere. 

“That girl… do you like her?” 

I almost dropped the remote as I stopped switching the channels on the TV. 

Feeling the blood rushing to my head, I quickly tried to put on an act. 

“... What are you talking about?” I calmly asked. 

Putting down his book, Dad had a slight smirk on his face. 

“She’s the first girl you brought home,” he stated. 

“... So what does that got to do with it?” 

Hearing my words, he let out a small chuckle. 

“You tend to help those in need, but have you ever gone as far as to bring them home with you? Nonetheless, suggest them stay over.” 

“He is right, you know,” No.3 said. 

“That’s right. No.0, you should just admit it!” 

“No.2… you need to stop being a ‘yes’ man….”

“Shut up, No.1… you’re always so whiny.” Said No.3. 

No.2 also followed. 

“That’s right! I’m no ‘yes’ man.” 

“......” 

Why are these guys always stealing my brainpower when I need it? 

“HEY NO.0. THAT’S NOT NICE!” they all complained. 

“I’ll just ignore you guys!” 

… Dad looked concerned as it took me so long to answer.

“Luke, it’s a ‘yes’ or ‘no,’ simple, right?” 

He was right. I, in fact, did know the answer. I knew that I already had a crush on her. But… I didn’t want to admit it. 

When I first saw her trying to cross the road while staring at her phone, I thought she was just like any other girl… or youth nowadays. 

I can’t blame her. I did the same once… but when I saw that she was trying to navigate around using her phone, I realized that I might’ve been slightly harsh with my scolding. 

I felt slightly bad guilty and gave her the caramels. Well, I was scolded as those were for mom…. But she did say I was forgiven since I gave them to a cute girl….

And after school had started, I saw that she was wearing the ribbons they included. Which warmed my heart. 

And as it turned out that we were seatmates…. I admit I was glancing at her from time to time… but how couldn't I? I felt that she did the same…. 

She was also cute when she clumsily met my eyes and fidgeted while shyly turning away. 

She’s usually so cold to any other boys… heck, she wouldn’t even speak to them.

But she did speak to me, albeit in a less harsh way. 

I’m not so dense I wouldn’t notice, okay? 

Since she treated me differently, it made me try some stuff out… for example, teasing her.

She was so adorable, and I had a blast doing so. After doing so, she became much softer with her word choices, and that’s probably where I fell for her….

“Happy now? I admit!” I told the NO’s. 

Of course, it was met with silence since they always appear when they want to be annoying! 

*Cough cough, I cleared my throat, sipped my coffee, and glanced at Dad, who was waiting for me to answer. 

“Yes, are you against it?” I nervously asked. 

He shook his head and sipped his coffee as well. Although there wasn’t any left…. 

“..... No, just that… I feel bad that she has this asocial boy after her.” 

“.....” 

“... It was a joke.” 

“You, me. We suck at jokes… Dad.” 

“.....” 

Dad got up and left… and later handed me something when he returned. 

“What’s thi—” 

I just looked at the item he handed me, and I could feel my whole face burning up. 

“.....” 

Staying silent and amused as he looked at my reaction. 

Feeling agitated as I felt embarrassed, I shot him a sharp glare. 

“This isn’t a funny joke!” 

There was a crack in my voice as I used a slightly higher tone than usual. 

Dad smirked as he ate the rest of the cookies. 

“But I’m bad at jokes,” he said without making a single expression. 

“.....” 

“We do want grandchildren, but not this soon, okay?” 

“Please go buy some milk!” I yelled. 

And after that…. Lilly and Mom came back down. 

Hi everyone… it’s been a while…..

I usually update this series at least once a week, and uh… well, it’s almost been two weeks! 

I read some novels… that I wanted to read and watched some anime. I was also working on my main series… but to compensate, there will be another chapter this week on Saturday! 

So… Thanks for reading!

7