Chapter 2: Apologise
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“W-what is this?!” A middle aged, nerdy guy falls back to the behind because of what he’s looking at. “This is.. Splendid! Remarkable!” He screams in joy, like a child getting everything  they want for their birthday. “Can you shut up, Nikola..” A wounded man, whispering in the dark corner, but loud enough for the guy to hear. “Ah, sorry Commander ‘Alpha’ Forde!” He replies back with a loud tone, as he’s very, very excited at the thing he’s looking at. A ‘human waste’. “How can a body handle that much pressure? How can one consume that much amount of information and still remain perfect - if we don’t count the wounds from the battle of course - This is not a waste, THIS IS A TREASURE!” He screams out of excitement again, as he’s looking at a dark skinned girl, laying in the bed with tons of IVs fluids streaming slowly into her body. She had had a rough fight. “I have no idea why Hemsworth allowed this girl into our place. She killed our mates, and she is a big threat to us.” Forde tries to hold his calm, as he’s been observing her and Nikola for hours. It was a hard challenge for him to not just walk to her and end her life there. But because of the pride of a Federal’s soldier and his morals, he decided to stay alone in the corner.

“No worries! In case you forgot, we are brainwashing her! She won’t remember a thing of what happened, ever since she turned into a slave even, but that doesn't seem possible from my budget. She is a treasure I just said, maybe sir Hemsworth saw that in her.” Nikola, who is watching the battle from Forde’s POV, gives a somewhat understandable answer for Forde. “Oh my, what are those movements, those are not what a machine would move..” He takes notes on his paper, very into what he’s watching, letting Forde behind sighs helplessly. “So what do we do when she wakes up?” Forde asks. “I will make her our weapon. She has that kind of potential, just saying!” Still writing on his paper, didn’t even lift his face up once. Nikola is too much into this.
“Everyone else in my department will be crazy over her, like, how did she take 5 Stamps?! The most I’ve seen was 4 years ago on Mars, a kid with 3 Stamps, and this one appears out of nowhere, with 5. FIVE STAMPS! This might change our way of fighting entirely, I’m telling you. Now I’m not saying that she’s got the most Stamps on a person, there were records in history, some got 7, some got 9 and the only one ever, 200 years ago, got 10! But to find someone like this girl in the present, is a blessing for us.” Nikola explains further for Forde, but Forde just gets even more confused the more he explains. “Enough nerd talk, so basically you’re telling me she is the next step in our way of controlling the Models.” Nikola nods, humming while still watching the battle.
“So how did she control that Model so well? It felt like I was fighting a real human person.” Forde holds his right hand tight, still hasn't forgotten the perhaps best battle he has ever experienced. “Her Model is old.” Nikola replies.
“What, that’s it? It’s old?”
“Yes, it’s old! This is a really old Model, really close to the original of our modern day Models. It’s a Rampager Type, sure, but not the one you’d see normally.” He pauses the video with a virtual screen right at the right handle of the chair where he’s sitting, and turns on some slides. “See? They’re identical, but inherently different. Her Rampager has a very unique mechanic called ‘Manual Battle System’ which was discontinued for hundreds of years already because of how dangerous it is. Our first interactions with Models was roughly 400 years ago, and this system was discontinued for… the span of 350 years. This system allows you to turn off the usual way of driving the Model, you can stand up inside the cockpit, and there is some sort of equipment that grants the Model your movements. The MBS however requires people like her - Stamped, to be able to control manually, otherwise, the amount of information running back and forth between you and the Model will blow up, and of course, you will too blow up.”
After a long explanation, Forde cannot believe what he just heard. Manual fighting? We can do that? And it’s forbidden? Questions keep coming up in his head. “So…” He points at the screen, and Nikola seems to know what he’s about to ask, immediately answers: “Yes, it was her basic, humanoid movements that the Rampager copied. In other words, you and your team were fighting a real human, you can understand it that way.” Forde is speechless, as Nikola turns on the POVs again, to keep on extracting the precious amount of information he can gather. “She was a beast..” Forde stands up, tries to walk outside of the room, mumbling to himself. He was not fighting a human, but a wild animal, and that’s what frightened him. The moment he reaches to the door, suddenly he hears a small girly noise.
“Mmm..” The girl slowly opens her eyes after days on the bed. “Dear God, you’re finally awake!” Nikola bursts into tears, opening his arms, “Come here and give your dad a hug, Mono!” The girl is still half asleep, half awake, unsure of what’s happening around her. “...Dad?” She looks confused, as this man in front of her claims to be her dad, but she doesn’t reclaim anyone in her memories as ‘dad’. “Yes, it’s me, your father, Mono!”
Nikola explains to her with a fake backstory, as she doesn’t even remember most of everything now, so it’s a good chance for him to build up her faith in him. The story is very short: She was a good daughter of his, adopted from a poor orphan, and got into the Federal with her ‘father’. She then suddenly went on unconscious, and hurt everyone around her - which he shows the video of Forde, the man standing at the door, trying to stop her on the moon, and of course, only the scenes where there is only her, not including the other one. Now she’s finally awake, but has some serious damage on her brain, so she lost some part of her memories. A short, but easy to use story, especially for a person who is in her situation right now. Mono believed what happened, didn’t bother to suspect everything or anything, but straight up had a trust of what’s happening. It’s almost feel like she’s just following by their flows.
“I did this..?” Mono asks Nikola again. He nods slowly with a sad face, as he turns over Forde and looks at him, like he’s hinting something to her. “Excuse me, Mr. Forde…I’m sorry for what happened. I will accept any punishments, but please don’t get my father involved in this..” She sounds guilty and honest, makes Forde and Nikola believe the medicines worked perfectly. “I-It’s alright! I don’t mind fighting to train for my body anyway!” Forde opens an awkward smile towards Mono, who is also smiling back at him.
“Now then you’re awake, you now need to recover faster and go sorry everyone else that you’ve fought. And then we'll talk more later.” Nikola pats her head gently on the head, like he’s really considering her as his real, blood-related daughter. “Yes, father.” Mono replies softly, like she was whispering. The feeling of getting pat feels unfamiliar for her, like this is the first time ever she got it, but she doesn’t get bothered by it much. 

1