Chapter One Hundred and Two Expeditionary Forces
110 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Valorian Commander surveyed the wrecked ships, the damaged outpost and the top secret drydock. She sighed and then turned to the base commander. “This is a serious disappointment but I doubt there was much you could have done differently. It seems the Voskar have updated their cloaking devices again.”

The base commander replied, “I did manage to get a few scans of their ship. It was one of their heavier stealth cruisers. Not often seen in these parts and is relatively new.”

“At least there is that. What did they steal?”

“Weapons, mostly. Including several of our latest prototypes for Concussion Pulse Cannons.”

“What else?” She inquired with a frown.

“They um, also downloaded a number of files, including information relating to the Yinta II.”

She let out a breath, “That could be a problem. I’ll get some ships together than and go after them.”

“If I may...”

“Hmm?”

“Voskar cloaking devices aren’t easy to penetrate and their ships rely on ambush tactics. We have some equipment on hand that might help. I can upgrade your sensors and outfit you with secondary deflectors. In addition, we do have a supply of next-generation torpedoes which were slated to be installed on your ships.”

That might be useful she thought, “Yes that does sound sensible. As long as we can get it done quickly.”

Will do!”

As it would turn out, it would take the better part of a day to organize security and put together an expeditionary force to chase after the thieves. She knew the council might frown on taking a Champion out into the field. They tended not to allow battleships out of the core world territories, but something told her she might need it. Along with the Champion as her flag, she took four Protector class cruisers and twelve light carriers. Not a very large force, but more than enough for the task at hand. The outpost supplied her ships with what upgrades they could in the time allotted, including some new torpedoes.


Elsewhere, several figures were discussing fleet preparations.

“It wasn’t easy, but I have managed to secure enough support and funds to move forward.”

“Excellent, I’m sure the old guard on the council won’t be happy. They prefer to use funds on their own pet projects, but this will be well worth it. The Lantaro sector has been left as a nest to pirates and warlords for too long.”

“Agreed, but I am more interested in Brathra. My daughters and I would love a world of our own and the council position that comes with it.”

“So would mine, which is why we have been garnering support to lead the expedition to colonize those worlds. The more worlds we can claim, the more power our clan will have in the future. Of course we will need to defend those worlds and secure more trade routes. Which brings us to the main point of discussion.”

“Yes the Refuge taskforce, I recall. They have some interesting technologies.”

“Indeed, I believe there will be great profit in securing their technology for our clan. Not only will we be able to enhance our fleet with potent weaponry like shield-penetrating torpedos, but their engines are interesting. Clearly reactionless, operating on unknown principles, and their ships appear to be quite maneuverable. Likely a connection.”

“I know we have discussed the possible advantages of their tech many times since we saw it at Cantra. Really have to thank them for helping us out there. The Throne was more resilient than I thought it would be. Makes me wonder what they were thinking helping the Cathamari build that monster. What if he used it against us?”

“Easy all they cared about was securing their profitable trade with the Cathamari. That wealth gave them power over the council afterall. Now we have the power. Of course keeping it is another story.”

“Moving back to the topic, we know the Refuge is somewhere in the Lantaro sector. I’ve sent agents in to learn more and while they have been unable to find them, they have help narrow things down.” she paused and brought up a holomap, a region of the southwest part of the sector highlight. I believe they are somewhere in this area. Likely still rather close to Cantra, assuming a competitive speed of warp four. We can guess they are likely no further than Zah.”

“Hmm, that region is largely uninhabited. There are a few Wovnar colonies there and skirmishes are common. Quite a few minerally wealthy worlds in that belt. Also I notice you highlighted far more than Zah.”

“Yes, well I am covering my bases. Just in case they are significantly faster than warp four.”

“Why? What....”

“Well we missed it since certain people in the council covered it up, but apparently our first contact with them was in the Delta four system, then roughly a year later they showed up at Cantra. Also, there was apparently a sighting of them at an outpost in the Dalmine sector a couple of months after the incident. Specifically the Jewel of Dalmini. Given these datapoints, I suspect they can go a good deal faster than warp four, but...”

“We don’t have enough data to confirm, it could have been a couple of wormholes for all we know. In addition even if they can go that fast, we don’t know how long they can sustain it. We have plenty of ships that can sustain speeds near warp five, but none that can actually breach it.”

“Well we had one showing promise, but sadly that ship was lost at Cantra. A major set back for the project. I’ve already acquired the project leads and they assure me they can build a new one... in six months. A delay, but if their second prototype can match the first we can likely see warp five ships in the next couple of years.”

“Two years!? We are that close?”

“Possibly sooner, I have given them everything they requested and secured additional resources and team leads. I presume you all understand what breaching the warp five barrier could mean for us?”

Nods rounded all around, and someone interjected. “So how are we going to find these Refuge folk?”

“It will take some doing. I have been putting together ships and personnel for a massive expedition into the Lantaro sector and updated with the best we can afford at this time, naturally. Enhanced shields, secondary deflectors, point defense systems, focused plasma torpedoes and heavy pulse cannons on all ships. Its gets a bit expensive, but the Lantaro sector in dangerous. Ships caught unaware could be sunk by cloaked Voskar ships or ambushed by Chi’ran warships. Normally we wouldn’t bother with point defense. Shields are just much better protection and more reliable for the cost, but they don’t help much against shield penetrating warheads. If get into a battle with the Refuge, they might be helpful.”

“Noted, how long before the fleet is ready and how many ships?”

“We have nearly twenty expeditionary fleets assembled. A grand total of twenty thousand ships. Mostly light carriers and scout ships, but we also gathered a fair number of Protector and Champion class ships. Each fleet will have ten champion class ships and two hundred Protector Class cruisers. Outside of those vessels we have commissioned a number of Merchantmen freighters to serve the logistical needs of these expeditions. Non-standard versions with upgraded armaments and defenses. They should be better able to survive that hostile region of space.”

“That sounds like a plan, but I still want to know how long?”

“A couple of weeks. I’ve been doing what I can to rush them out. Given the importance of this, I’ve paid every expense to raise these fleets as quickly as possible.”

“Excellent that should improve our chances of catching up and finding these Refuge aliens.”

The meeting continued, as the Minara clan dreamed of dominance in the council for years to come. None of them considered that they had perhaps just made a mistake. The Confederation was strong and wealthy. Outside of the Krall they had few true rivals. Little did they realize it was already starting to crumble.


Turell smiled. Her crew had done it, they had hit the outpost, done some damage and more importantly distracted the Valorians long enough to get the shuttle out without sacrificing their lives. Now they just had to get back to base and easy enough task. 

The shuttle recovered, she had taken her ship towards on the faster hyperspace routes. It was perhaps a risk, if the Valorians suspected and moved quickly enough, but it would get her out of the area and back home faster.

The route did have a few stops. Including one that included several secret routes, they kept to themselves. Regions that allowed faster safer travel through hyperspace were always important for the races that used it. 

She was keeping an eye on the naviplots, when an officer informed her, “We are nearing the Isan Corridor captain. Shall I take her in?”

She smiled, “Take her in helmsman.”

“Aye, sir.”

The young man deftly manipulated the controls and the ship turned into the corridor. Almost immediately picking up speed as the hyperspace eddies smoothed out. This far from a gravity well ships could move faster, but there was more to a corridor than just that. This corridor was free of many anomalies and other hazards which allowed her hyperdrive to push to its limits.

Standing up, she said, “I’ll be in my office. Please inform me when we reach our first stop.”

“Aye, ma’am.”

They went to her duties and even without saying it, she knew they were already keeping an eye out for possible pursuers.

10