Interlude The X-1212 Heavy Destroyer Tactical Overview
100 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The X-1212 was a project in the 1200 series of experimental ship designs. The Coto and Umikaze were the only ships of the type produced and have both proven to be effective attack ships. They are agile with solid armament and decent armor. However, their lack of fighter capacity is notable.

Ships of the type are fairly large as destroyers go with a length of 970 meters and 38 decks. This extra size allows the ships to mount a fairly powerful power plant for their size. Main power is supplied by a single dual-core antimatter reactor which supplies power for all of the ship's systems and is required for the operation of her warp drive system. Additional power is supplied by three fusion reactors located deep within the primary hull. These reactors supply more than enough energy to power the primary and secondary systems but can’t power the warp drive system. They also allow the ship to carry a fairly powerful weapons array.

For protection the ship type is outfitted with three meters of Titan alloy overlord armor. This armor functions the same as it does on the Enterprise, but doesn’t offer the same protection. Incoming rounds are dispersed, weakened by energy absorbers and absorbed by the AIF. Leaving the ship undamaged, but the protection can be overwhelmed. In addition, the armor is vulnerable to focused high-energy strikes like a torpedo hit. As a result the ships are outfitted with energy webs and particle projectors to provide protection against projectile weapons. These high-intensity laser and particle fields vaporize incoming projectiles and have been known to disrupt the containment of plasma torpedoes. Beam weapons can also carve through the defense in a way that pulsed energy weapons cannot. In addition to the uniform three meters of armor protecting the whole ship, critical areas are further protected with reinforced bulkheads and secondary armor plating. Like the Enterprise, all sections benefit from internal plating with additional internal plating near critical areas and vulnerable sections like the main hanger.

The main hanger is located on the aft side of the ship and is rated for cargo shuttles, personnel shuttles and X-1205 assault shuttles. However the bay isn’t rated for fighters, not at launch anyway. The hanger does have a cargo tram however and is used to transfer cargo and personnel. In mid-002 SDE, the class underwent a minor refit to expand the hanger facilities at the cost of cargo space to handle combat flight operations and storage of fighter craft. Ships of this type gained the capacity to carry a single squadron of fighters. Specifically the 1204, but with the new facilities she also became able to deploy 1205s as light bombers. Thanks to a secured hanger bay ordinance locker for combat spacecraft. The presence of such a locker helps reduce incidents in the case of an attack on the hanger. The addition of fighter craft to her arsenal not only gives her a squadron of fighters with which to fight off small hostiles. It also extends her operational umbrella and better enables her to serve as a patrol base and patrol ship. Suiting the needs of the fleet.

Being a Destroyer, the Coto and Umikaze are primarily armed with torpedos which are stowed in armored magazines referred to as Torpedo Bays. These are located as deep in the ship as feasible and protected by heavy internal plating and reinforced bulkheads. Like on the Enterprise, they use automated loading mechanisms to reload the tubes. Using the same sort of rapid-fire clip system to allow for a volley of five torpedoes per tube every six seconds. Launchers are mounted fore and aft, 24 forward and eight aft, triple tubed. She carries an astounding number of torpedoes allowing nearly fifteen minutes of sustained fire. To be specific each ship has an impressive 75,000 warheads stowed in their bays. Far more than their alien counterparts would typically carry into battle. 

In addition to her massive torpedo arsenal, the X-1212 class of Destroyers also carries a number of directed particle weapons. Her primary particle weapon would be her Star Tech Industries XPCB-218-C Cutting Beam Array Mark II. An improved version of what she originally launched with. The weapon draws power directly from her main fusion generators and is equipped with dedicated generators. Energy shunts are also in place to allow for main power to be dumped into the beam array. The beam array fires a sustained charged particle beam that can carve through armor and punch through weaker energy shields. It is often used for slashing attacks, but can also be used for precision strikes. Like all Mark II particle weapons, it features a supercharger that allows for shorter, high-intensity bursts for brief intervals. 

The next weapon mounted on the ship is the XDPC-128-B Medium Directed Particle Cannon. A mount shared by the Enterprise as well and has been updated to mark II specs. She carries four hundred of these cannons mounted in dual turret mounts along the hull in a spoked wheel formation. This provides an excellent series of firing arcs in most directions with overlapping fields of fire. The weapon is useful for ship-to-ship, air-space defense, and tactical bombardment roles.

The final energy weapon on the Coto and Umikaze hulls is the XLEPC-05 Mark I commonly called the Electro Cannon. It fires a low-temperature charged plasma stream that resembles a lightning discharge. The stream has a limited range, but is extremely effective at defeating energy shields, and disrupting subsystems. Energy shields hit by the steam have been known to overload, and unleash a powerful energy burst. It has a four-second recharge between bursts. Only 200 emplacements are mounted along the hull in positions to allow for wide overlapping firing arcs.

One last thing of note, is that ships of the class are outfitted with Fusion Mine dispersers, which are also compatible with the more advanced photon mines. These are specialized tubes designed to scatter the small disk-shaped Type 96-B LPX anti-ship mine and the Type 96-C TRX anti-ship mine. These two mines feature either a fusion-based, or photon-based warhead respectively. Are sensor shielded and possess a micro-thruster assembly which allows them to shoot towards a target. A passive control computer and sensor system allows them to detect and identify targets. They have proven effective against ships of all sizes. A small fabrication bay on board allows the 1212 class to manufacture replacement mines as needed. As long as the materials needed are on hand. Each ship carries an armored stowage for the mines, attached to the aft torpedo bays. She can stow up to ten thousand mines.

Finally propulsion, the 1212 class was intended for long-range missions and her designers felt they could get away with a less powerful engine configuration. Primary sublight propulsion is supplied by three primary pulse wave engines with dual cores. These engines are extremely efficient in terms of fuel usage but lack the power of an engine with extra cores. For supplemental engine power when needed, she also carries six quad-core pulse wave engines. All nine of these engines are located deep within the primary hull. Safe from enemy fire.

In addition to those engines, she also carries two outboard nacelles. Each nacelle mounts a dozen tri-core maneuvering engines and two warp engines. The warp systems are mounted in the same configuration found on the Enterprise. With an extensive cooling array running the length of the nacelles. Both housings and the mounting struts are heavily armored as well and fitted with emergency venting ports. Like the Enterprise, the secondary engines in the nacelles are intended mainly to provide extra thrust when conducting maneuvers. One more item of note is that the class is equipped with a pulse detonation drive, which is roughly akin to an afterburner. This drive allows the ship to produce incredible but brief bursts of acceleration. While not particularly fuel efficient, these devices do allow an equipped ship to seemingly teleport in battle. In total, the class is equipped with thirty-seven engines.

4