Chapter 18. Budding crush
435 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Olivia woke up the next morning, she definitely did not expect to receive a message in her inbox. She clicked on it and this message popped up.

“What’s the girlfriend's name? Perhaps I can help you.”

It was a private message in reply to the question she posted yesterday night, which was sent by an anonymous user.

Olivia sneered and thought that this person was just bluffing. She was about to ignore it but then decided to reply just for fun.

“How can you help?”

—-------

On the other side, William was making a toast for himself in the kitchen when the door of the apartment opened with a click. Nicole walked in from outside while humming a song.

“You’re out the whole night?” William lifted his brow in surprise. His sister rarely stayed out like this except when she had sleepovers with her friends, which also happened once in a blue moon. He came home quite late last night as well, so he assumed Nicole was already sleeping when he came back.

Nicole tried to hide a shy smile while looking embarrassed. Looking at the clothes she was wearing, William had a vague idea of why she was out last night.

“Okay, forget about it. Do you want toast?” William offered as he picked up another piece of bread. 

Nicole nodded. “Thank you, brother.”

Seeing how his sister was in a good mood, it made him happy too although he didn’t show it on his face. With a small smile, he placed her toast in front of the dining table where she was sitting. He then sat at the opposite side and started to eat while scrolling his phone.

It was then that a message notification popped up.

“How can you help?”

William clicked on the message and remembered what he did last night. He was just casually browsing his phone when he came across a peculiar forum which seemed to be quite fun. There were quite a lot of strange questions from anonymous users online, and he enjoyed trolling while keeping himself anonymous as well. Then he saw a question that stated:

“I am in love with someone but he has a girlfriend. He promised me that he will break up with her soon but it has been months and they are still together. I don’t want to lose him, what should I do?”

He snickered when he read that question, somehow it reminded him of her sister who had a similar dilemma. In the heat of the moment, he sent the user a private message without expecting much.

Today, when he got the reply, he wasn’t sure what to answer. Then he looked up to see his sister’s love-struck face, an idea suddenly formed in his mind.

“Depends if you have the guts to do it.” He answered.

—-------

It was semester break, so Penny was finally working full-time as the Kent house’s babysitter. She enjoyed being with Mr. Mason, he was funny and charming, a person that she was comfortable being with. Though forbidden, she found that she was slowly developing a crush on him.

Penny would babysit Neil whereas Mr. Mason worked in his study room. Penny was feeding Neil some porridge when she heard the sound of the door opening, and Mr. Mason came out.

He looked weary as he sauntered to the kitchen. “Mr. Mason, do you want a cup of coffee?” Penny offered him kindly.

“Sure, thanks.” Mr. Mason answered. He pulled the chair beside Neil and sat down, then started to play with him.

“Neil does not cry a lot.” Penny said. He made it easy for her to take care of him, but he was still picky with his food.

“Da-da.” Neil babbled with some porridge in his mouth. He was slightly thrashing his arms around to try and grab his father. 

Penny put a cup of coffee in front of Mr. Mason, then moved Neil’s bowl of porridge further away in case he might knock it down. “Yeah, da-da’s here.” Penny soothed him as she used a napkin to wipe off a few bits of porridge that leaked down the corners of his mouth.

Mr. Mason smiled. “Looks like you’re getting the hang of it.”

Penny chuckled. “Neil is a cute baby. He resembles you a little.”

A deep thought flashed across Mr. Mason’s eyes as he smiled wearily.

Looking at him, Penny suddenly remembered what the housekeeper of the house told her. This housekeeper had been working for Mr. Mason since last year after Neil was born. At first, Mr. Mason, his wife and the housekeeper took turns to take care of Neil, but as they started to get busy and the housekeeper also found it too much to take care of a baby alongside handling the chores, Mr. Mason decided to hire a babysitter. This was where Penny came in.

The housekeeper usually only came during lunch and dinner time to cook the meals and clean up the house. The housekeeper was cold towards Penny at first, but they began to get along well after they chatted a few times.

“Mason and Jenny sleep in different rooms.” The housekeeper told her. Penny was evidently shocked when she heard it. “Don’t tell anyone else because I’ve also just found out.” The housekeeper added.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Penny asked innocently.

The housekeeper grinned. “Who knows. I’m just an old lady, perhaps I’m overthinking it!” She brushed it off like it was no big deal. Then, for a moment there, it looked like she thought about something as she grabbed Penny's shoulders. "Penny, in a big household like this, it'll be better to keep our mouths shut and know nothing, do you understand?"

Penny blinked and just nodded.

To think about it, Penny didn't hear Mr. Mason talk about his wife, Jenny much. She didn't see them appearing together a lot either. She assumed that maybe both of them were too busy with their own jobs but perhaps it might be because of something else?

"Penny, do you mind if I get another cup?" Mr. Mason suddenly called her, which pulled Penny back to Earth.

"Sure. But is it okay to drink this much coffee in the morning?" Penny replied in concern as she took the cup from him.

"I enjoyed drinking the coffee you made." Mr. Mason looked up at her with a genuine smile. Penny's eyelashes fluttered as she could feel her heart skip a beat. She quickly turned around shyly.

Mr. Mason just looked at her back with a deep and meaningful gaze.

2