Chapter 2 – Arrival
196 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a low grunt, the withered farmer landed on his knees. The wooden church boards creaked in response despite the prayer mat cushioning the fall.

The withered farmer looked to the candle-lit altar ahead of him as he rested his eyes on a pendant he had placed earlier. Written on the pendant were the words 'everlasting light' and the initials of himself and his late wife.

"Please, gracious divine, help this poor farmer."

Eyes closed, and calloused hands grabbed each other as the withered farmer bobbed his head in prayer.

The man repeated the phrase a few times before reopening his eyes towards the altar.

Unbeknownst to anyone, words formed above the altar nestled into the shape of a square box.

World Alert – The Divine's Chosen have arrived.

Despite the withered farmer staring straight at the square box of words, his eyes didn't register the strange sight. Instead, the withered farmer's attention was quickly shifted to the set of glittering lights that emanated off the church's stained-glass windows.

Like fireflies, the glittering lights danced in the air and rapidly came together as they formed the outline of a person.

"What—"

The withered farmer fell back as he tried to process the miracle unfolding before him.

"Finally, they've answered my prayers."

The lights twinkled in the withered farmer's eyes as he raced to sit properly. He ducked his head right as the lights dispersed, and a crimson-haired man was revealed as the withered farmer's first saviour.

"Gracious saviour, please…."

The creaking steps of the church flooring let the withered farmer know the first saviour's steps. He looked up to see their hazy golden eyes gloss over him and continue towards the doorway.

The first saviour made it to the doorway in stumbling steps and opened them with a grunt. However, the outside steps proved too tricky, and in rapid descent, the first saviour ended up face-first into the hard bricks.

The withered farmer looked in confusion before another set of twinkling lights gathered. The withered farmer shook his head before resuming a low-bowing stature.

"Oh, gracious saviour—ah."

The twinkling lights revealed another man with jet-black hair who raced to the doors without looking at the withered farmer.

"What a peaceful town. That'll change."

The second saviour's words sent a chill down the withered farmer's back. Before the withered farmer could question the second saviour, he was already racing outside, stepping on the first saviour on his way out.

The withered farmer looked down in confusion as he questioned his prayers for the first time in months. Where had he gone wrong? Was it in his power to question the intentions of the divine?

The withered farmer rebuked himself for questioning the divine and focused as another glittering light figure appeared in the church.

This time, without a doubt, was the true saviour of his woes.

Auburn hair danced on her shoulders as her hand slowly extended to meet the withered farmer. The woman was an angel in human form, and the withered man was stunned by her graceful beauty.

The withered man was about to raise his hand but suddenly stopped as he felt a dull pain across his cheek.

The third saviour's hand had accelerated past him and cut his cheek as her sharp nails pierced into a mouse hiding behind the man. Flinging the mouse away, the third saviour dug her hands into her hair and screamed.

"GET OUT!"

The scream jolted the withered farmer, and he watched in frozen shock as the woman exited the church, stepping on the first saviour as she dashed out.

The withered farmer slumped.

What was going on? Were his prayers being answered?

Then, glittering lights began to descend in droves.

The withered farmer looked in horror as he raced to the altar and grabbed the inscribed pendant. He stepped on the first saviour and ran out of the church with steps that couldn't carry him faster.

 


 

The glittering lights never ceased as figures, old and tall, young and small; all appeared out of thin air. The only thing in common was the strangeness of their words, which would have sent the withered farmer into a coma.

"Grandpa! Look! The graphics are so real!"

A young girl was feeling the bristling wood that lined the church pews. It felt rough against her soft skin, which was unheard of to her.

"Ouch!"

Another young boy pulled out a dagger from nowhere as he lightly pricked his finger. However, in the next moment, he smiled in glee as he showed his grandfather his finger like a trophy.

"Look, grandpa, it's just like in the real world!"

The grandfather of the two children quickly snatched away the knife and scolded the child.

"What did we say about sharp objects!"

The grandfather lightly stashed away the knife in his sleeve before making two coins appear.

The two children shouted in response as they giggled.

"They make the most money!"

"Yes!"

The grandfather gave the children their coin rewards before hurriedly pushing them forward out of the church. Abruptly, the trio felt a bump as they unknowingly trampled on a crimson-haired man with his face hidden in the bricks.

"Are you alright, young man?"

Not seeing any response, the grandfather patted the crimson-haired man for any valuables.

"Now listen, children, whenever you see a defenceless—hey! Quit attacking your sister! At least apply for a duel or else…."

The voice faded from the crimson-haired man's ears. Not that it made the jumble of sounds any better for his pained brain.

"Agghhh."

Everything is spinning. Are those voices? Ouch!

Another trampling step finally sent the crimson-haired man, Novus, into a set of pins and needles across his body.

"Ack!"

Pain flooded Novus' senses as the mechanical voice and another strange box of words appeared before him.

《 Body matrix deemed inadequate. Correction procedures initiated. 》

Congratulations! You have acquired the title ??? 's Apostle and will receive the Player's Body's ability.

As the word box appeared, Novus felt his senses sharpen like a focusing camera.

The bricks gained another level of detail, the sounds paining his ears were sifted through, and the bland taste in his mouth let Novus know he was face first in the dirt. Finally, the pins and needles across his body slowly dulled into a full-body ache.

It felt terrible. Except terrible was too terrible of an understatement.

But Novus managed a thoughtful question as his eyes caught the word box that had appeared before him.

What's going on?

??? says to look in a mirror.

"Huh?"

Novus struggled to his knees as he half-walked, half-trudged to the nearest fountain he could find. He dunked his head in and out amidst violent coughing and gulps of water. Then, he stared at his reflection as the water stilled.

Crimson hair kept the sunlight from blinding his golden-hued eyes. His matching crimson eyebrows scrunched together as he saw the rounded nose and tanned skin features.

Novus moved his hands to his face as he belatedly realized the scales were gone on his hands too. In fact, he now had hands without claws attached to them.

"No. NO!"

It's illusion magic. Or polymorph magic. It has to be magic!

??? denies the use of low-class magic.

"SHUT UP!"

Novus swiped away the word box out of instinct and saw it disappear.

Internally, he was freaking out. Externally, he seemed like a madman as he pinched, pulled, and slapped every feature he had.

Breathing heavily, Novus yelled aloud for a second round.

"This is because of you, right!? Get out here! Face me like the scum you are!"

The same mechanical voice as in the white, everlasting landscape drifted into Novus' mind.

《 Solace greets the player, Novus. 》

Mildly stunned by the unexpected response, Novus hesitated before continuing his screaming.

"Get out here! Don't send your henchmen after me! Face me yourself!"

The mechanical voice, self-proclaimed as Solace, rang out again amidst Novus' angry outbursts.

《 Analyzing mental state… mental state deemed hysteric. Relevant information required… relevant information obtained. 》

Ding!

A word box popped up uncomfortably close to Novus' face as his attention unavoidably found its way into reading the contents.

 

F-Grade Quest – Indulge in Feelings

Solace has found that people willing to open up to their feelings through soothing actions have calmer emotional states.

Stroll around town (0/1)

Swim in the fountain (0/1)

Make a flower bouquet (0/1)

 

Novus punched the fused bricks of the nearby fountain.

"@#$@!!"

Using colourful language, Novus expressed his emotions to the gathering crowd.

Tears uncontrollably welled in his eyes as he felt the dwindle of anger contort against the sensation of pain.

"Why are the bricks so damn hard!"

Tears dripped into the fountain as Novus' knees dropped to the ground in defeat. He looked at his reflection again as his features eerily calmed all at once.

If the gods won't kill me, I'll do it myself. And I'm taking this fountain with me.

The murmurs of the onlookers dimmed as they felt a pressure envelope around Novus. The pressure surged as his lips parted in a series of odd words that sent wind shifting and the fountain water rippling.

Multiple word boxes appeared around Novus, but he ignored them as he closed his rageful eyes and continued the odd chant.

Warning! Body unable to contain mana. Spell backlash is imminent.
Warning! Body unable to…
Warning!…

Novus' eyes snapped open at the end of the chant, and he spoke one decisive word.

"Inferno!"

Suddenly, like a grape rapidly turning into a raisin, Novus' body crumpled up. Sparks ignited around his body before setting himself on fire and turning him to ashes. A silence loomed as the ashes turned into glittering lights that disappeared towards the nearby church.

"That. Was. Awesome!"

"Grandpa, did you see that!? He was all like, INFERNO! And then he…."

The two children who had trampled on Novus earlier spoke with excited voices as their grandfather tried to process what had just happened. Then, under the guidance of his wrinkled hands, the two children left the front of the church and wandered elsewhere.

In a voice only the grandfather could hear, he whispered his thoughts aloud.

"What is wrong with people these days?"

1