Chapter 16 – Reunion
61 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ah, for the love of… who goes knocking on the door like that in the middle of an experiment!”

“Wait, honey—”

The door swung open, and Novus expected to see an old witch of the northeastern woods greet him. That’s why it was strange when a middle-aged man with hazelnut-coloured hair opened the door and shielded him into a bear hug. Novus, of course, protested the physical touch.

“Get off! I don’t swing that way!”

The tone made the joke fall flat, but the middle-aged man levelled his dark brown eyes against Novus’ as he gave a hearty chuckle. He put Novus down as he gestured to the doormat.

“Sorry, young man. Didn’t mean to frighten you. I swear I’ve already chosen one woman for this lifetime. Just didn’t want to clean up after, well, that.”

Suddenly staring at the man with more attention, Novus’ face showed shock, followed by intense confusion. Novus followed the man’s gaze to the doormat, which had the sickle end of a sickle and chain embedded deeply into it. The sickle had a green hue, and a rotting stench assaulted Novus’ nose as he watched the doormat begin to dissolve.

Unconsciously, Novus followed the chain end to a middle-aged woman standing in the doorframe of a room filled with plants. She wasn’t precisely witch-like, but the black soot clinging to her body made her look like a dirty miner. The middle-aged woman quickly turned from angry to joyful beyond belief as she dropped the chain in her hand and rushed into the middle-aged man’s embrace.

“I knew I picked the right man. Come here.”

The woman rained down kisses, and after a few more soot-loving moments, the middle-aged woman resumed her cold exterior towards the shocked-out-of-words Novus.

“Leave.”

However, the well-chiselled muscles of the middle-aged man raised the woman’s chin to meet his convincing eyes.

“Now, honey, we haven’t had a single guest since coming here. You’ve also used up some of your ingredients for experimenting, right? So why don’t we have him stay for a moment, and he’ll get you some more ingredients later.”

The woman hesitated for a moment before a refreshing smile graced her features that sent a chill down Novus’ spine. Then, the woman brushed aside her black, exploded hair and pulled the man into a deep kiss. She left a trail of words behind as she released him and walked away.

“Alright, dear. Get ready for something special!”

The woman turned as she gripped the doorknob to the plant room and squinted her eyes at Novus.

“Fetch me some slime cores.”

Slam!

 

E-Grade Quest - Gather Slime Cores

Circe and Goibhniu have requested your help gathering one of the necessary materials for Circe’s latest experiment. One essential ingredient is a slime core found somewhere on Avalan.

Gather slime cores (0/100)

Reward: Increased Favourability with Circe and Goibhniu. Level +1

 

The aggressively closed door made both Novus and the middle-aged man flinch. Gradually recovering his nerves, Novus looked at the man and spotted a glimpse of fear receding from his eyes.

“Apologies, my wife can be intense sometimes. But, she truly means the best.”

However, Novus only closed and opened his mouth like the words he wanted to say weren’t processing correctly.

“Ah, that’s right! I haven’t even introduced myself yet. My name is William—”

Suddenly, Novus’ eyes softened, and he interrupted the middle-aged man with a greeting.

“Hello, Goibhniu. I’m glad you and Circe are doing well.”

The middle-aged man, Goibhniu, paused his following words as the previously warm atmosphere around him slowly withered and a heated gaze penetrated through Novus.

“Where did you hear those names?”

Suddenly, a killing intent launched from the room full of plants.

“Come, follow me.”

Novus felt his shoulder clamped onto like a vice by Goibhniu’s hand and another layer of killing intent.

 


 

The strong scent of heat and metal assaulted Novus’ senses alongside the pressure that Goibhniu subtly alleviated from Novus’ body. The pressure remained but without its initial strength. If Novus tried to leave, he was sure Goibhniu wouldn’t be bear hugging him anymore.

“Sit.”

Goibhniu took a seat while Novus found his way to a large metal block.

“Tell me, how do you know those names.”

Novus’ posture shifted on the large metal block. He tried to think of the perfect answer to the question, but countless thoughts racing at his lips made him unable to respond at first.

If I wasn’t sure before, then by now, I’m certain.

Whether it be the familiar feeling I got from Masika, the way my skills have all manifested without issues here…

Novus stared at the grimacing Goibhniu.

… Or most of all, the presence of these two.

I didn’t transport to a prison. I’ve regressed in time.

Chuckle.

“I’m in Angrea, aren’t I?”

Goibhniu seemed off-put by the question but confirmed it.

“Correct. Or at least that’s what the mainland is called.”

Goibhniu’s affirmation didn’t give Novus much comfort as more questions provoked Novus’ spiralling thoughts.

How did I regress? The mainland? Am I not on the mainland? Better yet, how did these two end up here? Where is here? Shouldn’t they be in the human capital?

Novus bit his lip.

Meanwhile, Goibhniu began to lose patience, and the fingers tapping along his crossed arms ceased.

“Well?”

Novus looked towards Goibhniu as he forcefully cleared the questions trying to pry away his attention. With a clear head, Novus finally responded.

“I apologize for intruding, Goibhniu. This must come as quite a shock considering you even tried to use your civilian names as a disguise. You… probably don’t remember me.”

I don’t know when I’ve regressed, so this part will be hard for us to piece together.

“I’m Novus. A former member of the Covenant of Light.”

Slam!

“Impossible!”

The tattoo on Goibhniu’s forearm gleamed and transformed into a hammer that rang against the nearby anvil. However, Goibhniu didn’t attempt to get up from his seat, which gave Novus enough time to try and explain.

“Does the Hidden Shadow still strangle Angrea’s darkness?”

At those words, Goibhniu’s expression flickered with doubt.

When in doubt, use the secret passphrase. I should thank Xavier for making us develop one.

“How...?”

Goibhniu’s hammer still hadn’t disappeared, which unnerved Novus as he knew its true strength. Novus flattened his lips in a smile that wasn’t a smile.

“The same reason why the First Smith Goibhniu and his lady, the Poison Empress Circe, know the phrase. I was once a member of the covenant. A very old member, or perhaps a recently old member?”

Before it was destroyed, at least.

However, this answer wasn’t what Goibhniu wanted to hear.

“You can’t have been a member. Old or not, the Covenant is barely a year old.”

Novus’ eyes widened.

I’ve regressed that far back, huh? That means—

Slam!

“My patience runs thin for liars. Are you a part of the Hidden Shadow?”

Novus nearly rolled his eyes.

Does he think the Hidden Shadow would come and say hello for fun? Never mind, he wasn’t much of a wise thinker. That was Circe’s job most of the time.

“Goibhniu, I’m about as opposite to the Hidden Shadow as you can imagine.”

Before Goibhniu could speak, Novus tried something different.

“Goibhniu, you have the habit of patting your hammer against your hand before you start a new work.”

“How—”

“Circe does this thing with her lips when she is on the brink of experimental success—”

“Stop that. How long have you been watching us!?”

“Pineapple.”

Novus stared at Goibhniu as he saw him visually shiver. Then, he quickly put on a strong front.

“What about pineapples?”

Novus grinned.

“It’s you and Circe’s safe—”

“ENOUGH!”

SLAM!

Novus nearly had to cover his ears against the shout. Then, suddenly, a pressure enveloped Novus, making him unable to move.

The pressure came from a heaving Goibhniu whose chest was shaking with rage. His eyes darted across Novus’ body, and he rushed over. Leaving his hammer at the anvil, Goibhniu began to strip and look over Novus’ upper torso.

“You won’t find the branding, Goibhniu. I don’t have one.”

Tch.

Goibhniu clicked his tongue as he realized Novus spoke the truth. And, seeing Novus’ confident eyes staring at him, Goibhniu began to waver. Eventually, the pressure around Novus eased away.

“Leave.”

“But, Goibhniu—”

“Now.”

Shatter!

Novus’ confident eyes melted as he was picked up by the armpit and thrown out of the nearby window. All the while, Novus’ sight didn’t leave Goibhniu’s conflicted eyes, even as the glass around him shattered.

Ack!

After repeatedly tumbling across the ground, Novus’ head met the obsidian platform.

“Ouch. Stupid, untrained body….”

Despite complaining, a tiny grin adorned Novus’ face.

That fool never had any common sense. Really, who throws someone out the window?

Sigh. Chuckle.

“He’s always been like that. Rushing into things headfirst.”

Novus shook the memories that came to him as he stared at the sun, Phoebus, and covered his eyes with his hand’s shadow.

“I’ve regressed, huh? Talk about a twist of fate.”

1